Fitting your own high level brake light Watch

Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've been worried for a while now about the dim and low brake lights on the back of my car. Especially in tight traffic it's hard to see or notice them if you're the car behind. I recently acquired a high level brake light from Halfords and fitted it this afternoon. It took me about half an hour and most of that was sorting out a brake light live and earth among the next of waxolyed 1960's wring. On a modern car it would be a million times easier. If you haven't got one definitely consider getting one, especially if you have an older car with less than brilliant brake lights.

http://www.vimeo.com/23080485
Walter Ego
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
An LED one is even better. The speed of illumination has been found to give a potential 6m shorter stopping distance at 70mph.
Landie_Man
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But it looks so modern and. Ick....
Nuffles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Landie_Man)
But it looks so modern and. Ick....
Looking modern looks a lot better than my car being written off because someone didn't see the low, dim standard lights :rolleyes:
Landie_Man
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My lights arent too bad!
Vinchenko
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
Looking modern looks a lot better than my car being written off because someone didn't see the low, dim standard lights :rolleyes:
Yeah...as someone who suffered head trauma from a rear-end shunt in a car without one, I would exhort you to get one however ugly they are...!
warrenpenalver
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
exactly and in this day and age, if you own a nice car or something unique/different, the old "but thats what insurance is for" line just doesnt cut it. Even with a run of the mill car you never get enough to buy an equal replacement and its even worse on modified or classic vehicles where the true saleable value is often massively different to the rubbish parkers prices the insurance will try and fob you off with. Even more critical these days as agreed value policies are becoming less common and will eventually disapear in their current forms.

eg on my one off car, im on an agreed value policy based on a valuation by an insurance approved owners club official. This year come renewal it WILL be impossible for me to get a agreed value policy, only an indemnity based policy based on actual losses based on reciepts for modified parts. So in effect id get market value for a normal puma plus the insured amount of the modifications if the car was a total loss. A valuation is not good enough any more. So ive had to go back to the original builder for invoices/reciepts he promised ages ago. Luckily he has records that far back for his company and most of it was bought through the company. Although i wonder what the insurers will think when i present them £35k of receipts!!! LOL
Nuffles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Landie_Man)
My lights arent too bad!
My Defender had exactly the same lights and they're not brlliant!! If one bulb blows you're left with one, small light. I've seen a lot of people fit trailer side/brake/indicator units on the back of the roof on a Defender and the difference they made in traffic was staggering. You could see it was going to stop 10+ cars back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.2%
No - but I will (41)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.48%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (280)
46.51%

Watched Threads