The Student Room Group

How is your relationship with your mum?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
we have our ups and downs but all in all a pretty close, strong relationship. it's just us left at home now so i think we kind of depend on each other.
Reply 21
On a scale of 1 to 10, possibly horrific.
Really good. We talk about everything apart from sex (Well apart from the awkward "sex talk" her and my Dad gave me and she knows that I'm not a virgin.)

We talk a lot and she gives me a lot of advice. She's like my moral compass as well and isn't worried about telling me when I'm being a tool. She's always been there for me and I really appreciate it. When I was little I went through this phase for about a year when I was really scared about my parents passing away. It was really irrational and crazy but she was there for me like you wouldn't believe.

She goes to most of my basketball games and various other events. She taught me how to respect women (went through a period when I was less than gentlemanly). She tries to do the cool parent thing but fails miserably however it's kind of funny the way she does it. Also she purposefully does the lame parent thing as well. When she would drop me of to school she'd be like "Bye, love you" but whenever my friends were around she'd be like "have you got this, you know you get upset when you don't have this, don't be scared if it's dark when you come home, give mummy a kiss etc." Just try and embarrass me basically.

Absolutely love my mum.
Reply 23
used to be a nightmare but now i love her to bits :smile:
Really good thanks, was a bit rocky when I was a teenager but that's fairly normal for most families!
Reply 25
We get on really well but I think she's cheating on me with one of my friends who lives with his grandparents. She always goes over to his house and gives him cookies she makes here at home but doesn't let me have any. And she also rings him up to talk about his day at school and how things are and discuss each other's problems together but when I tell my mum how some boys took all my clothes off in the playground and forced me to crawl naked all around the playing fields while spitting on me she doesn't really care and says it's just playful banter between growing lads. I mean I'm in year 11 for **** sake she should care more about me now and treat me like an adult. She still buys me new glasses when some people from school keep taking them off me and stamping on them so I know she does still love me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Not brilliant. We get on a lot better when I'm at uni. She's a neurotic person and I find it very hard to keep up with her moods. I often feel more like the adult in the house than my mum. I wish I could have a close relationship with her, like many of my friends with their mums, but my mum is too neurotic and can be very hurtful. When I try I often find myself getting very upset. I'm not saying I'm perfect - I'm far from it, but I'm mature for my age, whereas my mum has quite a childish mindset (which her close friends and my dad have also noticed) and it means that she doesn't think twice about some of the things she does/says, and it makes it incredibly hard to have a good relationship with her.

I think we'll have a better relationship when I'm older and we're not living together.
my mum's getting older and more emotional -> relationship is going down hill.
Original post by Anonymous
We get on well now, but before I moved out we were always at each other's throats. Pretty standard mother-daughter relationship I think!!

Same with me and my mother.. we seriously cannot live with each other, but if she is away somewhere we get along great! (on the phone) hehe. I can't wait to move out, not because i hate her (i don't) but seriously cannot live with her anymore!
Love her. I can talk to her about pretty much anything, and we're really similar in a lot of respects. Wish I hadn't inherited her awful temper though, it's been the bane of my life, but I don't care cos I love her anyway. :biggrin: Except when she gets angry at me over minor things just because she's stressed but hey, she's only human.
I love my mum to bits but we've never had a good relationship. We get along now that I'm older but when I was younger, we were always arguing. We still do have the odd argument but its okay mostly. I don't tell her anything but then again, I don't tell people much either way :h:
We were never close until I developed depression about 2 years ago, now we get on a lot better and she understood that her attitude towards me during that time (she shouted at me for crying which then resulted in me crying even more, about 7 times per day) didn't help. I don't tell her about my feelings a great deal, but we laugh and can spend time together without arguing now. :smile:
Good
Not good, we only talk when we need something or when she ask me to do something other than that we both have our own life. Only thing is, she controls me and tells me what to do with everything which I don't like so we argue if she tells me what to do and what not.
Reply 34
Typical daughter mum relationship at this age I guess

My mum treats me like I'm younger than I am and as a result I'm a bit of a dreamer and am totally useless around the house and when I was a bit younger it was great to rebel and do stupid things. Well... I say when I was younger... But she's also my rock, great at advice and one of the only people I can trust, of course we argue but I love her so it doesn't matter :smile:
Reply 35
Generally we're pretty close but there was a time in my early teenage years when we didn't get along at all.
I don't really have a relationship with her, never have.
It's not that we argued or specifically disliked each other. We just have jack all in common and are so starkly different people that we simply have no relationship.
It's kinda weird I guess.
I've always had a good relationship with my mum; she's my best friend to be honest :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by -honeybee-
Sorry if this is too personal but how did you come to having a good relationship with your mum without knowing the cause of her earlier issues?

She changed completely as a person from when i was 16. She is very calm now and I talk and tell her things which brought us close together. I dont know why she was the way she was she cant explain it herself.
Reply 39
I used to not really get on with my mum, hardly spoke, I was a selfish little kid back then, didn't really care how people thought, but now it's much better, I'm so happy she's my mum, now I sometimes think if I hadn't had my mum how ****ed up I could have turned out, not just as a mum, but as human being my mum is an amazing person, she's a cool mum too. But I wouldn't feel comfortable telling my mum my private life though.

Now I am a mummy's boy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending