Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi All,

I am currently in my first year of College and studying my alevels in,
-Government and Politics
-Economics
-Business Studies,
I intend to carry these on to A2 with a view of applying to Manchester Uni to study Politics and International Relations however, I was wondering if there was any other subject/Btec/certificated study I could take along with my A levels next year which could boost my opportunity in getting into Uni.
I have been considering the Extended Project along with my A2's but wanted to see what you guys could suggest.

Many thanks!
Tasha1986
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

Well the A-Levels you are taking would certainly be relevant to studying Politics and IR at degree-level, and they are all on the list of subjects that you should be taking at least one of on the Manchester website. Do you speak any other languages? Taking an evening language course might boost your appeal - especially if it was in a language like Arabic, or Urdu, Russian, Mandarin etc. You wouldn't need to become anywhere near fluent, or even come away from it with a certificate but it would show a commitment to the subject you want to study beyond the same standard readings that everyone else with those A-Levels will be doing, and no doubt referencing in their Personal Statements.

Short of taking any other qualifications I would definitely recommend checking academic journals regularly - you won't need a subscription, but it could give you an idea of some of the research going on in various fields of study that you are interested in and will give you an edge on the other applicants (who will probably all say something generic like 'I read The Economist regularly'). I can give you some tips of which journals to take a look at if you have some specific areas of interest at the moment.

I think an Extended Project is a good idea. So many undergrads come to university and think they can produce the same level of work they did at A-Level and do well, and at most good universities (of which Manchester is one) this simply won't fly. If your Extended Project will be 5,000 words (which I think most of them are) then this would help you because most essays in 2nd and 3rd year of undergrad Politics and IR courses will be roughly this length. I did IR at St Andrews, and in my first year the essays were 2000 each (multiple ones each class each semester), in second year this went up to 2500-3000, and then in third and fourth year everything was 5000 words at least. So showing that you are able to produce a piece of work closer to university standard than a regular A-Level assessment could ever be will definitely help you.

Good luck!! And remember that the Personal Statement is so very important to your applications!!!!
Bambie_X
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thankyou so much for your reply, I'll look into taking up a language. This has been a massive help to me! Good luck to yourself also in your studies
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bambie_X)
Hi All,

I am currently in my first year of College and studying my alevels in,
-Government and Politics
-Economics
-Business Studies,
I intend to carry these on to A2 with a view of applying to Manchester Uni to study Politics and International Relations however, I was wondering if there was any other subject/Btec/certificated study I could take along with my A levels next year which could boost my opportunity in getting into Uni.
I have been considering the Extended Project along with my A2's but wanted to see what you guys could suggest.

Many thanks!
See if you can get work experience with an MP or something. Other than that its really down to personal statement & grades. But don't set your heart one university, after all you have five choices and acceptance to Manchester is by no means guarenteed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (297)
37.69%
No - but I will (57)
7.23%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.11%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (378)
47.97%

Watched Threads