Report 13 years ago
It was 1996.
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Was there a clamour in 1997 to have them banned? From the public? Or just from the government? It's a genuine question btw, I wasn't in the UK in 97.

Wasn't Dunblane in 1996? I'm sure it was because I was living in a log cabin in Guatemala at the time and heard it on the BBC World Service.
I remember there being a lot of media campaigning amongst the tabloids and semi-tabloids to have handguns banned, and we all know the influence they can have if they catch the publics attention. I don't remember much else, I was only ten at the time!
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Was there a clamour in 1997 to have them banned? From the public? Or just from the government? It's a genuine question btw, I wasn't in the UK in 97.

Wasn't Dunblane in 1996? I'm sure it was because I was living in a log cabin in Guatemala at the time and heard it on the BBC World Service.
I remember there being a lot of media campaigning amongst the tabloids and semi-tabloids to have handguns banned, and we all know the influence they can have if they catch the publics attention. I don't remember much else, I was only ten at the time!
Higgy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
[QUOTE=tommorris]

If you think the police should be armed, how about walking a mile in the shoes of a black, South-Central L.A. resident? You've got nothing to fear from armed police if you've got nothing to fear from unarmed police. But based on the many, many abuses of police power we see so often in this country (30 people have been shot by police and no coppers have been charged with anything), the Police should have less power.

[QUOTE]

The police in this country dont have that much power as the courts take it away from them! They uphold the law giving them last power will only make matters worse, people dont respect the police anymore. Why should coppers be charged with shooting criminals? With reference to the LA resident....thats the USA not the UK, things are different here, i never will be black walking through South Central LA, just like most people in this country
tommorris
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Higgy)
The police in this country dont have that much power as the courts take it away from them! They uphold the law giving them last power will only make matters worse, people dont respect the police anymore. Why should coppers be charged with shooting criminals? With reference to the LA resident....thats the USA not the UK, things are different here, i never will be black walking through South Central LA, just like most people in this country
The Police have the power to come in to your house, arrest you, lock you in prison, beat the hell out of you if you don't obey their authoritaaah and so on. That's too much power. And they don't uphold the law. They murdered Jean Charles de Menezes, but because they're wearing a god-damn uniform that makes it acceptable? Not in my book. They murdered Harry Stanley, but because they're wearing a uniform that makes it okay? Not in my book.

Why should coppers be charged with shooting criminals? Because we (should) have a rule of LAW in this country, not the rule of gun-slinging cops. In arming cops, you turn them in to judge, jury and executioner with the pull of a trigger. That's shoot first and ask questions later. And unlike an ordinary citizen who does that, they're never accountable. After a cop shoots someone, what happens? The worst thing is they get fired. They lose their job. Whoop-de-doo. They go and work in private security or become a night-club bouncer. Real punishment there! They don't get to wear the uniform anymore. Boo hoo. How about putting them in prison where they belong? If the individual coppers aren't accountable for the "mistakes" they make, I have absolutely no respect for either them, their superiors, the government or the institution of the Police.

We shouldn't respect the Police any more than we should respect politicans. We should be totally sceptical about the Police. The Police are the people who shoot people and then get off with it afterwards! The Police are the people who demand you to bend over on demand and play little games for their amusement! These people are criminals, but because they're wearing a uniform and carrying a badge we give these people respect? Sorry, but if I was in the situation of de Menezes or his family, I wouldn't respect these retards-in-blue. I'd want blood.

So, you're unlikely to be in black in South-Central LA. Okay, how about Jewish in Nazi Germany? How about black in apartheid South Africa? Just about anything but a state-worshipper in China? Giving police power lets these things happen far, far easier than if you keep a strong check on police power. And there's no stronger check on police power than if everybody carries a gun, if everybody is willing to uphold their freedom from government, from the police, from these tyrannical bureaucrats, and to defend those freedoms.

I hope you enjoy it when you have to spend a night in jail for taking photos of trains, or have your house raided because you your jacket is inappropriate and you didn't look at the police officer in the appropriate way. I hope you don't have the misfortune of having your brains blown out by police officers on the suspicion that you might be smoking pot (see here and here). I hope you don't happen to walk around east London with a table leg.

Ending police irresponsibility and corruption - that's a cause I could wear one of those silly rubber bands for. But I wouldn't. They might shoot me if I run for the Tube. And that would make a horrible mess.
Higgy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Owch that touched a nerve didnt it mate
djchak
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In reply to Carl, I have no idea ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen's_arrest

that should help us figure it out. But, if you have ever watched shos like cops, you know that there are a few people in the states that make citizens arrest with a gun, and do not get charged. Probably becuase the DUI person, once arrested by the cops, does not want to make things worse by suing the "citizen", who could be called as a witness, and usually has video of the whole thing
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Higgy)
Owch that touched a nerve didnt it mate
It's my day off.
Arminius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think so, i like the fac that Britain doesn't have the gun culture other countries have. If i have an argument with someone i don't fear that they may have a gun. Because so few people do. I hardly ever see guns, and when i have its been on a farm with a shotgun.

I think america's attitude to guns must stem from the pioneer days when it was "every may for himself" and it was ok to shoot yourself out of a situation.

In Britain we have had the rule of law alot longer, if someone does something wrong then they get punished by the state, not the people.
Higgy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tommorris)
It's my day off.
Ah fair doos
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zakatu)
I don't think so, i like the fac that Britain doesn't have the gun culture other countries have. If i have an argument with someone i don't fear that they may have a gun. Because so few people do. I hardly ever see guns, and when i have its been on a farm with a shotgun.
We do have a gun culture. It's just we don't have a culture of nice people owning guns. Just criminals. You can't get rid of guns. While guns exist, I'd rather the nice, law-abiding citizens had guns to defend against the not-so-nice, law-ignoring citizens who will have them regardless of the law.
kazoola
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
We do have a gun culture

You're right. I completely agree with this. The criminals in this country are armed now, and it seems a week doesnt go by without reading about someone whos been shot, caught in the cross fire.

My dads a policeman, and it scares me him being out there with only a stick to defend himself with. What good is it going to do when he's faced with a gun? I know you hear all the time about police who abuse their positions, but thats just the media senstaionalising, and in my opinion, human rights idiots.

A few months ago after the london bombings a suspect was shot and killed by a policeman after he wouldnt surrender. Now in this case it turned out that he was innocent, but if he was inncoent why the hell did he not comply with the police? Yes its a tradgedy, but incidents like this shouldnt mean that police are no longer armed.

What if that man was actually a terror suspect and he was going to kill someone? There would have been public outcry, and the police would be blamed. They cannot do a thing because in many cases they are not adequetly equipped to deal with suspects. I don't know about anyone else, but i'd feel a hell of a lot better knowing that police were able to protect my loved ones instead of not acting for fear of being fired.
Stranksy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
When you refer to the innocent man being shot, are u referring to Menezes, the Brazilian electrician? If you are, that was no accident, that was an assination, just to let you know
scoobrildil
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by Stranksy)
When you refer to the innocent man being shot, are u referring to Menezes, the Brazilian electrician? If you are, that was no accident, that was an assination, just to let you know
yes it was indeed, - he didn't have a puffa jacket on, he didn't run and jump the ticket gates, he didn't run from the police onto the train......they were in plain clothes and did not tell him they were police - imagine if five men just suddenly started coming at you out of no where, you would obviously react. and then they immediatly got him down on a seat and continued to fire SEVEN bullets into his head, not considering the fact that if he was gonna let a bomb off he would surely have done it by now and anyway how is killing him gonner help if its ticking away regardless. and on top of that i think ONE bullet would have been enough to stop him fighting -EVEN THOUGH HE WASN'T. and if anyone wants to argue justr imagine if he was your brother or dad or uncle - - - i don't think you'd be finding it so easy to accept. THe police in this country are VERY corrupt at many levels , i'm sure there must be a few good guys amoungst them but come on.....its just a job where they can legally get away with WHATEVER they want to. I've seen them almost attack women with children, call people very rascist names and generally make a nuisance of themselves and the one time we got robbed they couldn't do ****!!!!

--------------

(Original post by kazoola)
We do have a gun culture

You're right. I completely agree with this. The criminals in this country are armed now, and it seems a week doesnt go by without reading about someone whos been shot, caught in the cross fire.

My dads a policeman, and it scares me him being out there with only a stick to defend himself with. What good is it going to do when he's faced with a gun? I know you hear all the time about police who abuse their positions, but thats just the media senstaionalising, and in my opinion, human rights idiots.

A few months ago after the london bombings a suspect was shot and killed by a policeman after he wouldnt surrender. Now in this case it turned out that he was innocent, but if he was inncoent why the hell did he not comply with the police? Yes its a tradgedy, but incidents like this shouldnt mean that police are no longer armed.

What if that man was actually a terror suspect and he was going to kill someone? There would have been public outcry, and the police would be blamed. They cannot do a thing because in many cases they are not adequetly equipped to deal with suspects. I don't know about anyone else, but i'd feel a hell of a lot better knowing that police were able to protect my loved ones instead of not acting for fear of being fired.
tell your dad to get a different job!!! we all make our own decisions in life.
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kazoola)
How about because he's a free citizen of this country? How about because he hasn't done anything? How about because he wanted to get on the damn Tube?

What's happened? 30 INNOCENT PEOPLE HAVE DIED IN THIS COUNTRY AS A RESULT OF POLICE GUNNING THEM DOWN AND NOBODY HAS BEEN CHARGED. Justify that. I can't. It's totally abhorrent. The Police are totally unaccountable. If a criminal shoots you, the Police might do something if your family members spill enough tears on the ITV News (try and make sure you're young and pretty, preferably under age 18 - nobody cares about fat, balding men). If the Police shoot you, nothing happens.
pinkfloyd
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by tommorris)
How about because he's a free citizen of this country?

He was here illegally actually.
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pinkfloyd)
He was here illegally actually.
I guess that justifies it then.

Shoot all the fecking Polish, Arabic, Pakistani, Brazilian immigrant b*****ds!! That's the British way!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads