Economics & Business with East European Studies Watch

zarmina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi!
I've been accepted to UCL conditionally for Fall 2011, for Economics & Business with East European Studies course, would anyone taking that course be able to tell me what its like from a students perspective? Particularly the level of math required?
Thanks in advance!
-zee
Lollakas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, the level of maths required is quite average. It isn't a mathematics course but economics is not far from it, so you have to understand maths. If you looking to find out how many hours you will spend doing it, then as a comparison I can tell you that, you will spend as many hours doing maths here as you did in High school (not sure about American system, but was pretty much the same with IB system). The first year is meant to even everyone out, so it will be rather easy from the perspective of economics and business (prepare yourself, any knowledge you have about Macro will be turned to it's head). On average we have about 14 university hours per week+ reading which can add up to 200 pages per week, so the workload is not that bad. Don't be scared of the relatively small amount of lecture hours as it is a humanitarian degree and it has to put heavy accent onto reading books. As of the people on the course, then it is VERY popular with eastern Europeans, half of my course speaks Russian and second half is learning it . But it doesn't matter that much as general language spoken is English. So yeah, quick summary of the course. It is a good course and you will get out of it everything you want, all depends only on the amount of work you do.
oaledesuru09
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

My name is Ola. I have been offered a place to study Economics, Business and East European Studies at UCL. I really want to come cos UCL is prestigious and UCL also offered me a scholarship. But, then I am African and want to work in Africa. How relevant is the East European Studies part? Plus, the whole Russian thing.. I dont speak or want to learn Russian! Tbh, I dont want to do East European Studies altogether. Are the courses like Introduction to Eco always looked at through an East European lens? Generally how big is the East European part? Plus, are there people that are not from Eastern Europe doing the course and if you know, whats the general reasoning behind that?
Lollakas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, about the Eastern European part then it can be avoided to an extent. You will just probably as a minimum have to do about 2 course units of something to do with Eastern Europe, but the courseworks will be oriented on the region. Long story short, if you don't want nor care about the Eastern Europe then it is not an issue. But does raise a question, why u applied for that course not for pure Economics?
The course is VERY popular with people from Eastern Europe, majority of the course will be Eastern European, I think on my course there are about 10 non Eastern European ppl, out of ca 60. Reasons? Who knows. How much econ will be done? Quite a fair bit, less than in econ department but still you could call it economics degree, besides you wont need that much of that stuff anyway and no, econ is not looked through Eastern European lens. Maybe business is but that is not that big of a lens. I hope this helped
Yels
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hello,im considering applying for Economics and Business with east european studies at ucl... my gcses are pretty average 1A*s 8As 1B , predicted math M1(a/B) economics M1(a/B) and geography M2(b) i do cambridge pre university diploma . i was wondering what your gcses were like and alevel predictions and what u ended up getting . if possible it would be so kind of you to send me your personal statement, i would like to see what its like and i can send u wwhative written so far..

thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (292)
37.63%
No - but I will (55)
7.09%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.07%

Watched Threads