Is it possible to have an OCD personality? Watch

The-Real-One
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Without a formal psychiatric diagnosis of OCD?

Like for example, I compulsively pick at my skins on my fingers and finger nails, often compulsively shake my legs up and down when sitting. I'm also very picky about certain things, like I filter the water I drink (brita carbon filters), filter the air I breath when I'm at home (hepa filter, uv, etc), often taken great care in storing food, like useby dates, avoiding exposed metal, heating plastic, or when I'm walking outside I will frequently think the air is polluted by the cars etc. Or I will lay down toilet paper in public toilets, then open the door with a tissue if I;ve just washed my hands.

So yeah, I'm wondering. Because it's all very scatter gun and none of them is like massively making me psycho.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's one aspect to it. There's a lot more to OCD than just being a complete germophobe or being completely obsessed with perfection.

Do a quick bit of research on Wikipedia and decide for yourself. But there's no need to get diagnosed with anything, because it's just your personality which they decide to give a label to. There's nothing wrong with OCD as long as it doesn't stop you living your life.
missderrie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wait, you filter the air you breath? Do you know there are people starving in this world?
member520746
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by missderrie)
Wait, you filter the air you breath? Do you know there are people starving in this world?
Good passive-aggressive response to a MENTAL ILLNESS there, bravo.
Broderss
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm sure they'd appreciated filtered, clean air too. Clean air for all I say! :fuhrer:
Broderss
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The-Real-One)

Like for example, I compulsively pick at my skins on my fingers and finger nails, often compulsively shake my legs up and down when sitting. I'm also very picky about certain things, like I filter the water I drink (brita carbon filters), filter the air I breath when I'm at home (hepa filter, uv, etc), often taken great care in storing food, like useby dates, avoiding exposed metal, heating plastic, or when I'm walking outside I will frequently think the air is polluted by the cars etc. Or I will lay down toilet paper in public toilets, then open the door with a tissue if I;ve just washed my hands.

So yeah, I'm wondering. Because it's all very scatter gun and none of them is like massively making me psycho.
Actually I think you're trying to be offensive toward or about OCD sufferers and I don't very much appreciate it.
The-Real-One
Rep:
?
(Original post by JCC-MGS)
Watch it:dots:

I just said I wasn't mentally ill lol
missderrie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JCC-MGS)
Well, I am an aspiring psychologist; I know. But if you were a psych, you'd know there was a lot more to OCD as a mental illness than the behaviours he has described. Not liking 'germy' air does not = the complex psychopathology, OCD...
TheSmithsIndeed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The-Real-One)

Tbh, these sound like quirks since you don't seem at all distressed by them. Calling it an 'OCD personality' kind of undermines the seriousness of such a mental illness. As someone with OCD, I find that if I don't do certain things, i have this overwhelming fear that something bad will happen- hence the compulsion part.

P.s. OCD doesn't make you 'psycho'
rawwwwr!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSmithsIndeed)
Tbh, these sound like quirks since you don't seem at all distressed by them. Calling it an 'OCD personality' kind of undermines the seriousness of such a mental illness. As someone with OCD, I find that if I don't do certain things, i have this overwhelming fear that something bad will happen- hence the compulsion part.

P.s. OCD doesn't make you 'psycho'
Exactly this. :yep:

OCD is so misunderstood these days.
Paranoid Android 64
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You don't need to put a label on everything. A lot of people will have these 'OCD' elements to their personality anyway; I, for example, need to check the door's locked about 3 times before I go to bed.
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
That's one aspect to it. There's a lot more to OCD than just being a complete germophobe or being completely obsessed with perfection.

Do a quick bit of research on Wikipedia and decide for yourself. But there's no need to get diagnosed with anything, because it's just your personality which they decide to give a label to. There's nothing wrong with OCD as long as it doesn't stop you living your life.
This, and repped.

Only go to the doctor if you feel it is a problem.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not diagnosing, but just from the title:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...ality_disorder

(ps. how did you not find that in a google search?)
tealandtaup
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes... although they are not serious symptoms
these are part of it, like the compulsively picking fingers part.
Seek medical help and if you take medication ( in your case light medication) you'll be fine very soon.

Need not to worry about it too much unless it starts to affect your daily life/ anxiety level/ social situations.
good luck!
rawwwwr!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tealandtaup)
Yes... although they are not serious symptoms
these are part of it, like the compulsively picking fingers part.
Seek medical help and if you take medication ( in your case light medication) you'll be fine very soon.

Need not to worry about it too much unless it starts to affect your daily life/ anxiety level/ social situations.
good luck!
:lolwut:
The-Real-One
Rep:
?
My red gems tell you how much I care..
quantumgnomes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You sound like a perfectionist with germ phobia , although I do have OCD ( diagnosed by nurse&counsellor) and am slightly like that , it's only when it begins to really affect your everyday life it's worth worrying about.
Otherwise don't worry everyone has small things like that.
I smell like maths
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
im the same tbh

high 5! lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads