Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race? Watch

Poll: Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?
Yeah at first, but then they got ok with it (55)
21.74%
No, they were ok with it right from the start (126)
49.8%
Yeah but even though they’ve forbidden me, I do it anyways! (40)
15.81%
Yes, and I obey their wishes… (32)
12.65%
slavetosociety
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Mixed race relationships is quite common these days but what do your parents think about it?
Even if they know that you are dating outside your race later after you tell them, do you feel that they had :eek: expression when you told them for the first time?
effofex
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well - it depends on the racial group surely? If the racial group which you are from has a recent history of violence with the racial group which your prospective partner is from then it could pose a few problems.

e.g. (German male & English female; Chinese male & Japanese female; Israeli male & Egyptian female; Indian male and Portuguese female; Iraqi male and Iranian female, etc, etc.).
slavetosociety
Rep:
?
(Original post by effofex)
Well - it depends on the racial group surely? If the racial group which you are from has a recent history of violence with the racial group which your prospective partner is from then it could pose a few problems.

e.g. (German male & English female; Chinese male & Japanese female; Israeli male & Egyptian female; Indian male and Portuguese female; Iraqi male and Iranian female, etc, etc.).
I meant in general.
d123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really don't see them caring. My mum was essentially trying to set me up with a guy outside my race once, not that I liked him. They really wouldn't care either way I think.
rei dos reis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't care as long as they're not black.
Ich Dien
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by effofex)
German male & English female.
My mums German, shes had one Scottish and one English husband.

And we dont live in Cyrodill for christ sake. Its modern times....
effofex
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slavetosociety)
I meant in general.
But it wouldn't really be 'in general' since each person in each racial group may have differing attitudes to people of specific other racial groups depending on historical injustices etc., rather than one 'generic' attitude.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, I am of the human race.

If I started dating a horse or chimpanzee I might expect my parents to have words with me.
LaughingBro
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In before the loser pretending to be Asian: Mr Smurf.
js374
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My parents are a bit narked that I am in a relationship with a muslim. Don't think they care about the race but religion is a big thing for them. After 4 1/2 years I think they have either given up caring or at least stopped trying to effect it.
Dharp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Indian guy, English girl. My mum had a heart attack when i told her and kept going on about how we had ruined me with the english culture, Dad was fine with it till he walked in on us .....
SchadenfreudeDude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My parents, and the local authorities I imagine, would be quite disapproving if I was to date outside the human race.

I will not date an Orc.

I will not date an Orc.
slavetosociety
Rep:
?
(Original post by SchadenfreudeDude)
My parents, and the local authorities I imagine, would be quite disapproving if I was to date outside the human race.

I will not date an Orc.

I will not date an Orc.
Dating an elf wouldn't be too bad :sexface:
Nizzay!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, my parents will feel uneasy about me dating outside my race. To be fair, I only date people in my race (South Asian), but if a fine black gyal came my way, I wouldnt say no to her either. :teehee:
FloatOn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
India and Portugal have a recent history of violence? :confused:
RahRah09
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mom doesn't like me dating white people.

Joking, we're mixed race ourselves. She just wants me to date someone who's good enough for me. Of course, according to mommy, nobody is. But she's my mom, she's bound to say that.
Persephone9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm mixed race, so I can't see it being a huge issue.
effofex
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FloatOn)
India and Portugal have a recent history of violence? :confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese-Indian_War

When the Indian army walked into Portuguese-owned Goa.
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my parents wouldn't care about someone of a different race they would be uneasy if it was someone really religious though so they might want to know if that was the case. say if they were asian ask if they were strict muslim or from south america strict christian.
merryhappy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm asian, and my boyfriend is white. My parents would go CRAZY if they knew, but that's becuase their bigots and racist. My boyfriends parents are a little aprehensive about it (we think it's becuase I'm a muslim) but they don't say anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads