The Student Room Group

Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?

Poll

Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?

Mixed race relationships is quite common these days but what do your parents think about it?
Even if they know that you are dating outside your race later after you tell them, do you feel that they had :eek: expression when you told them for the first time?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well - it depends on the racial group surely? If the racial group which you are from has a recent history of violence with the racial group which your prospective partner is from then it could pose a few problems.

e.g. (German male & English female; Chinese male & Japanese female; Israeli male & Egyptian female; Indian male and Portuguese female; Iraqi male and Iranian female, etc, etc.).
Original post by effofex
Well - it depends on the racial group surely? If the racial group which you are from has a recent history of violence with the racial group which your prospective partner is from then it could pose a few problems.

e.g. (German male & English female; Chinese male & Japanese female; Israeli male & Egyptian female; Indian male and Portuguese female; Iraqi male and Iranian female, etc, etc.).

I meant in general.
Reply 3
I really don't see them caring. My mum was essentially trying to set me up with a guy outside my race once, not that I liked him. They really wouldn't care either way I think.
Don't care as long as they're not black.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by effofex
German male & English female.

My mums German, shes had one Scottish and one English husband.

And we dont live in Cyrodill for christ sake. Its modern times....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by slavetosociety
I meant in general.

But it wouldn't really be 'in general' since each person in each racial group may have differing attitudes to people of specific other racial groups depending on historical injustices etc., rather than one 'generic' attitude.
Reply 7
Well, I am of the human race.

If I started dating a horse or chimpanzee I might expect my parents to have words with me.
Original post by slavetosociety

In before the loser pretending to be Asian: Mr Smurf.
Reply 9
My parents are a bit narked that I am in a relationship with a muslim. Don't think they care about the race but religion is a big thing for them. After 4 1/2 years I think they have either given up caring or at least stopped trying to effect it.
Reply 10
Indian guy, English girl. My mum had a heart attack when i told her and kept going on about how we had ruined me with the english culture, Dad was fine with it till he walked in on us .....
My parents, and the local authorities I imagine, would be quite disapproving if I was to date outside the human race.

I will not date an Orc.

I will not date an Orc.
Original post by SchadenfreudeDude
My parents, and the local authorities I imagine, would be quite disapproving if I was to date outside the human race.

I will not date an Orc.

I will not date an Orc.

Dating an elf wouldn't be too bad :sexface:
Reply 13
Yes, my parents will feel uneasy about me dating outside my race. To be fair, I only date people in my race (South Asian), but if a fine black gyal came my way, I wouldnt say no to her either. :teehee:
Reply 14
India and Portugal have a recent history of violence? :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
My mom doesn't like me dating white people.

Joking, we're mixed race ourselves. She just wants me to date someone who's good enough for me. Of course, according to mommy, nobody is. But she's my mom, she's bound to say that.
I'm mixed race, so I can't see it being a huge issue.
Reply 17
Original post by FloatOn
India and Portugal have a recent history of violence? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese-Indian_War

When the Indian army walked into Portuguese-owned Goa.
Reply 18
my parents wouldn't care about someone of a different race they would be uneasy if it was someone really religious though so they might want to know if that was the case. say if they were asian ask if they were strict muslim or from south america strict christian.
I'm asian, and my boyfriend is white. My parents would go CRAZY if they knew, but that's becuase their bigots and racist. My boyfriends parents are a little aprehensive about it (we think it's becuase I'm a muslim) but they don't say anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending