The Student Room Group

Do your parents get a bit uneasy if you date outside your race?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by ShayCamp
Oh no! I tried to pos rep you
"You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today" :frown:

No worries, you can share the love some other day. It's all good. :smile:
Original post by Leahcar
I have never done so, but I know my parents would be a bit funny about it. My dad especially, he's a proper stick in the mud!
That wouldn't stop me though :biggrin: it's my choice and if I ever end up with someone of a different race my parents may deal with it lol!

Thats how I feel about the whole situation too! I prefer white guys not that I don't like my own race but whats what I want. :colondollar: My parents were talking about me being in relationships because everyone we know are either married or in a relationship. :frown: Then the talk about "don't date white guys, date Chinese guys, they're much trustworthy!" My reaction was like well...thats not true actually, everybody's all the same in my opinion...:colonhash: Then I thought, well if I do the opposite of what you said you have to deal with it, you're not the person who's dating this guy...:eviltongue: and yeah I do understand they're doing whats best for me, but...its what I want, I want to be happy in life, not miserable.
Original post by merryhappy
I'm asian, and my boyfriend is white. My parents would go CRAZY if they knew, but that's becuase their bigots and racist. My boyfriends parents are a little aprehensive about it (we think it's becuase I'm a muslim) but they don't say anything.

Hey just curious...do you see yourself marrying this guy or having a long term future? and would your parents eventually accept it?
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
:lol: I kinda see what you mean. Even though you may originate from the same country/region, there'd maybe be a bit of a cultural barrier, right?

Yeah, kind of. I was born and brought up here and I just don't find 'freshie' Africans (they way they are) the type of guys that I'd go for.
wtf is a freshie african?
I'm of a different ethnic background myself, but to be honest, it's my choice entirely and I think as long as I'm 100% comfortable with who I'm with and my parents can see I'm happy, that's all that should matter. We live in the 21st century. It should no longer be an issue at all. Of course some people have grown up with certain views and whatnot: I used to think my parents would probably prefer it if I was with someone from my own race, because of their own cultural reasons or whatnot, but a lot of the time I don't get that impression. They're open-minded, like we all should be. At the end of the day, we live in a multicultural society and an ever-globalising world. It's not a problem at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
No, they're generally very accepting people.
Reply 167
My family has the same rules which seem to be held by every other "liberal" indian family i know - no black people and no muslims.

a couple of years ago my gran sat me down and told me to not worry about boyfriends until university, but even then "no blacks, no muslim, they are no good people"

not too sure why.
Original post by SchadenfreudeDude
My parents, and the local authorities I imagine, would be quite disapproving if I was to date outside the human race.

I will not date an Orc.

I will not date an Orc.

for the record human is a genus not a race

and im sure my family would be fine with it my mum being half-cast herself lol

but i probably wouldnt anyway as its very very rare that im attracted to someone who isnt Caucasian
(edited 12 years ago)
They don't show it but they would likely not be ok with me being with someone of another race but that's fine as I don't really plan too (but I might make an exception for arabs :mmm:)
No, they're not racist helicopters.
I don't think mine would give two hoots tbh
Original post by kopite493
for the record human is a genus not a race

and im sure my family would be fine with it my mum being half-cast herself lol

but i probably wouldnt anyway as its very very rare that im attracted to someone who isnt Caucasian

Wrong! The genus is 'homo' the race is human. And half-caste? What is this the 1920s lol?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by U.S Lecce
Wrong! The genus is 'homo' the race is human. And half-caste? What is this the 1920s lol?

i thought sapien was the species and where human cause of the genus? this is why im failing biology XD

and lol it was half caste or brown what would you hve called it?
Reply 174
My parents are more worried about the character of the person than their race.
Original post by kopite493
i thought sapien was the species and where human cause of the genus? this is why im failing biology XD

and lol it was half caste or brown what would you hve called it?

Homo is the genus, indeed sapien is the species and homo sapiens sapiens is the current sub species human race or rather modern human race. It's complicated, but human is definitely the race.

Lol i just found it funny you used the term half caste because i've only ever heard really old people use it.

EDIT: apologies, infact, human isn't the race as race isn't really an excepted grouping within the species. It is used somewhat by scientist but generally speaking, there is not a race. Homo sapiens sapeins like i said is the sub species which we are all classified under, that's why i said humans were a race, but technically speaking it is a sub species and within it are ethnicities (different genetic traits) but not different races. The word race is quite confusing tbh and more of a social construct than anything else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mismatched_dollie_pepper
tee hee :P
I was born there and moved here when i was 1, then moved back at around 3 then came back aged 5 so it's been a bit chaotic :smile:
I've spent most of my life here though but i visited in 2007 after around 8 years! it's a lovely place to grown up :smile: definitelty worth a visit- espesh the victoria falls
i think zambians moving to canda became a bit of a 'thing' a few years back, i know peeps that moved over there :wink:

<3

Most of the Zambians I know are old, like my grandparents ages. I grew up pretty disconnected from that culture, my dad is actually Jewish and we lived in a Jewish neighbourhood in Toronto so I feel more connected to that side of my family. I would really like to learn more about it, maybe when I start my travels next year. :smile:
Original post by Dee Leigh
Why? :confused:

Because they are prejudiced, that's why? I think it's more ignorance though.
Original post by Stressworthy
I'm of a different ethnic background myself, but to be honest, it's my choice entirely and I think as long as I'm 100% comfortable with who I'm with and my parents can see I'm happy, that's all that should matter. We live in the 21st century. It should no longer be an issue at all. Of course some people have grown up with certain views and whatnot: I used to think my parents would probably prefer it if I was with someone from my own race, because of their own cultural reasons or whatnot, but a lot of the time I don't get that impression. They're open-minded, like we all should be. At the end of the day, we live in a multicultural society and an ever-globalising world. It's not a problem at all.

:yep: Agreed. I also don't get how people of ethnic minorities can come over to this country and choose to bring up their kids here and still expect them to be narrow-minded.
Original post by FoxxyCleopatra
wtf is a freshie african?

Proper Africans, not the ones that were born here to African parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending