Possible eating disorder? Watch

LeaX
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi. So basically, I’m a size 10 and my friend is a size 6/8. She’s gone from being a size 14 to a size 6/8 in 5 months, losing 2.5 stone in the progress. She eats little and exercises a lot. My friends, teachers and myself are concerned for her, and wondering whether she has anorexia nervosa. However, I would have thought that due to an anorexic’s privacy, they would avoid discussing their bodies , comparing them with others and calling skinny people (not slim or average, skinny) fat.

For example, I spent yesterday with her and we went shopping. She would regularly say things to me like:

- “You should try this on in an extra small, it would fit you” despite it obviously not going to as I know the shop’s measurements and I fit into a medium.
- “You’re so skinny” – I’m not, I’m average.
- “You’re skinnier than me” – uhuh, sure. Because a petite size 8 is obviously bigger than a tall size 10.
- “I’m so fat”/”I look huge”/ - provoking a “No, you’re skinny” reassurance.
- “I could never wear those, I’m too fat” – in regard to current fashions, yet she is comfortable in buying bikinis and shorts that barely cover your bum?

We then looked at people's pictures on Facebook, and she would call these tiny girls fat, pointing out non-existant fat on their tummiest. Surely if she had body image issues she wouldn't point out non-existant flaws in others? I'm not comfortable with my figure, therefore I don't critisise anyone elses.

The worrying thing is, when questioned on how she lost weight so quickly, she answers with "eating healthily and exercising". Sure, the foods she eats are healthy, but she's obviously not eating enough. She has a small bowl of cereal (or so she says, she could be lying for all I know) for breakfast, an apple for lunch and usually a stir fry for dinner. She told me she ate a bowl of pasta for dinner the night before and felt guilty.

Do you think she is just looking for attention? She has told me on numerous occasions that her sisters get more attention than her and her parents are always rude to her.
jndk109
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it sounds like body dysmorhpia, they tend to seek reassurance and diet and exercise excessively like she does etc. speak to her parents about your concerns then maybe they'll speak to her about it
jndk109
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
oh and also it tends to come along side eating disorders as well ....
LadyRowena
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
She's probably got some kind of problem, whether it's anorexia or not. If she doesn't get much attention at home it could've caused her self-esteem to drop. The only thing you can do is try to be there to support her; sadly this kind of psychological problem is difficult for an individual to overcome as often they don't realise they have a problem.
birdinthesky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
She is defiantly not looking for attention. Im going through the same thing as your friend atm. Her views are likely to be genuine and its a horrible cycle. I feel guilty after eating the smallest thing but its just a natural reaction now. You could try to talk to her about it but she might be scared of opening up about it and letting people in. Just try to support her through it, dont make her eat if she cant, and dont force her out of it! I was forced out of it 2 years ago and its come back twice as strong this time. Its her decision and she'll get there eventually
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.6%
No - but I will (103)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.79%

Watched Threads