Am I balding? (Pics) Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Keep anon please

This has REALLY been stressing me out so please don't try to be funny or troll on this thread.

I use to have super thick hair but over the past 5 months I've been shedding so much hair it's unbelievable. Every time I shower/wake up I can see hair all over the shower or on my pillow. If I run my fingers through my hair I can see 4/5 strands fall out. So, balding? I also have a dermatologist appointment in 2 months but don't want to wait until then... this is stopping me revising. I'm so stressed...

http://img830.imageshack.us/i/201104301511321.jpg/
http://img545.imageshack.us/i/20110430151115.jpg/
http://img15.imageshack.us/i/20110430151154.jpg/
http://img823.imageshack.us/i/20110430151047.jpg/
http://img846.imageshack.us/i/20110430150736.jpg/
http://img822.imageshack.us/i/20110430151010.jpg/
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/20110430150934.jpg/
http://img834.imageshack.us/i/20110430150857.jpg/

The hair is a lot finer than it was before and as you can see from the sides people can clearly see my scalp.

Please help.

Also I live in Scotland and my GP said that if I want to go the the best dermatologist he can refer me to him but it's in London. Should I do?
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How old are you?

Just to put you at ease, it's said you lose on average 50 hairs a day from all over your body. This might totally be a made up fact but I remember someone saying it.

It does look like your hair is thinning a bit, but it might be because of stress or lack of certain vitamins/nutrients?
the_gooner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No
edward_wells90
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
shave your pubes and superglue them to your head

problem solved
Agreed.
Waqar Y
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nah, you ain't balding - the crown is a good indicator that your losing too much hair. It's normal for hair to fall out - I have a few strands fall out here and there, it's probably due to the added stress of exams and revision.
Victor-PP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't sweat it. Prince William is balding and look at him - he's the man!
medic_armadillo7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's quite normal for your hair to start receding in your late teens, twenties and thirties. If you are finding that lots of your hair is falling out (particularly in clumps) it maybe due to alopecia, especially if you are under stress, but that is speculation. What you need is a consult from a good GP or a dermatologist. I wouldn't get overly worried about it until then unless it was noticeably visible to the point, where people were asking what happened to your hair.
Paranoid Android 64
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My hairline's worse than that and I've been paranoid about losing my hair for like 5 years with no change. I wouldn't worry it about too much.
Anonymous #1
Thanks for the sensible replies.

It's just that about a year ago I had the thickest hair possible and now it looks like that... just look at the sides...

My dad has a FULL head of hair with NO sign if thinning at 52 but on my mum's side the men have started to go bald but that was well past 45 so I have no idea if this is genetic or not.
W.H.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Victor-PP)
Don't sweat it. Prince William is balding and look at him - he's the man!
Yeah and he's also second in line to the throne. I'm sure we can all relate to him and use that as a source of inspiration to try and be the 'man'.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by kat2pult)
How old are you?

Just to put you at ease, it's said you lose on average 50 hairs a day from all over your body. This might totally be a made up fact but I remember someone saying it.

It does look like your hair is thinning a bit, but it might be because of stress or lack of certain vitamins/nutrients?
I just turned 19. I heard about the 50 hairs as well and that's about the hair I've been losing but my GP said that's not right and you shouldn't shed more than 25 hairs?

I also had blood tests and everything came out fine. :/ I have been stressed though because of the exams.
Ich Dien
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by W.H.T)
Yeah and he's also second in line to the throne. I'm sure we can all relate to him and use that as a source of inspiration to try and be the 'man'.
You could use that as an excuse.
Being royal is by no means fun. (apart from yesterday).
Theconomist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
balding isn't a choice shaving is.

take it all off
Seble
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It may actually be the fact that stress is causing you to bald. Has exam pressure put you under a lot of stress?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Waqar Y)
Nah, you ain't balding - the crown is a good indicator that your losing too much hair. It's normal for hair to fall out - I have a few strands fall out here and there, it's probably due to the added stress of exams and revision.
So does my crown look fine/normal? Thing is it started about 5/6 months ago when I had no stress at all... :/
Waqar Y
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So does my crown look fine/normal? Thing is it started about 5/6 months ago when I had no stress at all... :/
Looks fine, if you noticed rapid hairloss like more then a few in the shower or on your pillow, then I'd go see the GP.
Hair falls out, it grows and is then replaced. I wouldn't worry to much, because worrying about it will make you more stressed - and you'll lose more hair that way.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the sensible replies.

It's just that about a year ago I had the thickest hair possible and now it looks like that... just look at the sides...

My dad has a FULL head of hair with NO sign if thinning at 52 but on my mum's side the men have started to go bald but that was well past 45 so I have no idea if this is genetic or not.
Strangely, I think male-pattern baldness is supposed to run through the maternal line.
I think, if you have exams, it may be a change in diet, stress, poor sleeping that's affecting you. Have a serious look at those. It's weird because your crown looks great, it's your edges that look a bit thin. Do you wear caps a lot or something??
Anyway, I hope everything's ok and your exams go well.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by EskimoJo)
Strangely, I think male-pattern baldness is supposed to run through the maternal line.
I think, if you have exams, it may be a change in diet, stress, poor sleeping that's affecting you. Have a serious look at those. It's weird because your crown looks great, it's your edges that look a bit thin. Do you wear caps a lot or something??
Anyway, I hope everything's ok and your exams go well.
Actually now that I think of it I started noticing the thinning and the shedding after I started wearing a hat to cover up a bad haircut.

Hmm.. think there's a link?
Josh_Dey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
this is why we have doctors :yep:

and you're young so you don't need to worry. I lose a lot of hair but it just grows back, I went to the doctor and he said it's nothing to worry about.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Actually now that I think of it I started noticing the thinning and the shedding after I started wearing a hat to cover up a bad haircut.

Hmm.. think there's a link?
Possibly if it caused rubbing against your hairline. It's explain why the crown looks so full still. Are you still wearing caps? I'd say leave your hair to just be for now, concentrate on your exam and don't stress about the hair thing or think about it until the appointment. If you don't think you'll be able to, I know some people keep the hair they lose daily or weekly in a ziploc bag/sandwich bag and keep track of the pattern of loss. Or they collect all the lost hair from a day and take a picture of it daily so they can keep track of how much they're losing. I used to do this (the pictures) because I would have my hair braided for 4 weeks at a time and I was worried that the hair I was losing was more than I should be and I was trying to figure out a way to take out the braids without losing as much hair.
Remember you lose about 100 strands of hair per day (apparently!) as your hair goes through NATURAL phases of growth and shedding. Don't worry for now, ok!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (26)
50%
No - but I will (1)
1.92%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (24)
46.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise