Alternative Courses to Medicine Watch

AHI57
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I was just wondering, I have applied to medicine but unfortunately I have not received any offer. But I have received an alternative offer from Queen Mary (medical engineering). I am not so sure about retaking, taking a gap year or studying medical engineering and apply next year or do graduate entry????

Any ideas or feedback are welcome
Persephone9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why do you think you didn't get the offers? Bad predicted grades/reference, not enough work ex, poor PS etc?

I'd firm medical engineering if I were you, and if you get AAA on results day then you can decline it and reapply, which will give you some time to do work ex and work on your PS if they were the problems.
If you don't get AAA you'd have the option of resitting (although only a few medical schools will accept this without mitigation) or doing medical engineering and then applying for grad entry (which is expensive and competitive, so that would personally be my last choice). If you got AAB then there would be a limited number of medical schools you could still apply to (assuming they haven't gone up to AAA by 2012 entry).
Cyanohydrin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Persephone9)
Why do you think you didn't get the offers? Bad predicted grades/reference, not enough work ex, poor PS etc?

I'd firm medical engineering if I were you, and if you get AAA on results day then you can decline it and reapply, which will give you some time to do work ex and work on your PS if they were the problems.
If you don't get AAA you'd have the option of resitting (although only a few medical schools will accept this without mitigation) or doing medical engineering and then applying for grad entry (which is expensive and competitive, so that would personally be my last choice). If you got AAB then there would be a limited number of medical schools you could still apply to (assuming they haven't gone up to AAA by 2012 entry).
This.
purplefrog
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, given that graduate entry is far harder and more expensive than undergrad medicine, it would be well worth you taking a gap year next year and reapply this october. This is with the assumption that your grades are fine (AAB at the worst) otherwise, as mentioned above, your medical school choices will be very limited. If you take up your qmul offer, be sure you are happy to study that for 3 years and genuinely wouldn't mind doing so.

What are your GCSEs/AS and predictions like? Did you sit the UKCAT/BMAT?
And have you had any interviews or feedback from unis regarding why you were rejected?
AHI57
Rep:
?
(Original post by purplefrog)
Well, given that graduate entry is far harder and more expensive than undergrad medicine, it would be well worth you taking a gap year next year and reapply this october. This is with the assumption that your grades are fine (AAB at the worst) otherwise, as mentioned above, your medical school choices will be very limited. If you take up your qmul offer, be sure you are happy to study that for 3 years and genuinely wouldn't mind doing so.

What are your GCSEs/AS and predictions like? Did you sit the UKCAT/BMAT?
And have you had any interviews or feedback from unis regarding why you were rejected?
Well I havent done GCSE in this country, i just came to the uk in 2009 and started my a-levels. I have some european qualifications instead of the GCSEs. I am doing a-level physics, maths, chemistry, biology and dutch. I have got an A in dutch, and will probably get A in chem and A in maths and Bs for bio and physics. My UKCAT score was 600. But by the way isnt it, that if you accept an offer and you get the grades you have to do the course?? And what about Queen Mary as uni??
Persephone9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AHI57)
Well I havent done GCSE in this country, i just came to the uk in 2009 and started my a-levels. I have some european qualifications instead of the GCSEs. I am doing a-level physics, maths, chemistry, biology and dutch. I have got an A in dutch, and will probably get A in chem and A in maths and Bs for bio and physics. My UKCAT score was 600. But by the way isnt it, that if you accept an offer and you get the grades you have to do the course?? And what about Queen Mary as uni??
Nope, you just phone them on results day and say that you've changed you mind and would like them to release you. It might take a little while for them to do it, but as you presumably won't be going though clearing then that won't matter.
AHI57
Rep:
?
(Original post by Persephone9)
Nope, you just phone them on results day and say that you've changed you mind and would like them to release you. It might take a little while for them to do it, but as you presumably won't be going though clearing then that won't matter.
So what if you go through clearing??
Persephone9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AHI57)
So what if you go through clearing??
If you're going though clearing you want them to release you as quickly as possible, so that you can get other offers though clearing (I believe).

That would probably only be the case for you if you decided that you wanted to do another degree and you had also got the grades for medical engineering and had been accepted onto the course though.

If you hadn't made the grades for it and had been rejected, I think you're eligible to go straight into clearing (once you know your grades), and if you hadn't made the grades but they were still considering accepting you, or had accepted you, you would need to ring them up and ask them to release you if you wanted to go though clearing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads