Watches Watch

DoubleB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey, I know theres already a few threads about watches about but thought Id add a new one! Have a budget of £200-500 for a dress watch.Whats everybody's thoughts, best places to buy? I was thinking a leather strap, and originally did not like gold but a few have caught my eye. Is gold a bit garish though? Anyones thoughts are welcome, cheers
Theconomist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Best thing to do is put that money on a long term saving account and cash it after 70 years and buy yourself a real watch: a rolex.
hazelsaurus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rolex' are extremely over rated compared to other brands like Breitling and Piaget watches, anyway for about £200-£500 I would recommend an Emporio Armani watch because they generally are nice without being too over-the-top. Then probably Seiko but i'm unsure to whether they have leather strapped watches, my personal fav would probably be D&G, then probably Skagen, but the Skagen watches are a lot cheaper.

I'm sorta a watch expert, I have like 9 ><
pinkpont
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hazelsaurus)
Rolex' are extremely over rated compared to other brands like Breitling and Piaget watches, anyway for about £200-£500 I would recommend an Emporio Armani watch because they generally are nice without being too over-the-top. Then probably Seiko but i'm unsure to whether they have leather strapped watches, my personal fav would probably be D&G, then probably Skagen, but the Skagen watches are a lot cheaper.

I'm sorta a watch expert, I have like 9 ><
You claim Rolex is overrated compared to Breitling (despite the fact that Breitling have only starting using their own movements in the past couple of years), and then recommend Armani and D&G? Jeez...

OP - for £200-£500, there are quite a few brands to choose from. For a very, very traditional dress watch, Rotary do some 9ct gold wrist watches that should fit the budget. This one is very classic - retails at £595, but you'll be able to find one at a decent discount. It is solid gold as well - about the most affordable gold watch you can find. I wouldn't recommend gold plated watches myself, they can start to look very scruffy when the plating begins to wear - nightmare to get one replated as well.

For something a little less old fashioned, how about something like this Tissot - has a chronograph feature to make things a little more interesting, understated, and comes with a proper deployant buckle. It'd look great with a suit, but would work casually as well. Alternatively, this is a great value watch - automatic, day and date function, classic looks with a modern twist. Again, would work nicely in a formal situation

Let me know if I'm somewhere near the mark
hazelsaurus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pinkpont)
You claim Rolex is overrated compared to Breitling (despite the fact that Breitling have only starting using their own movements in the past couple of years), and then recommend Armani and D&G? Jeez...

OP - for £200-£500, there are quite a few brands to choose from. For a very, very traditional dress watch, Rotary do some 9ct gold wrist watches that should fit the budget. This one is very classic - retails at £595, but you'll be able to find one at a decent discount. It is solid gold as well - about the most affordable gold watch you can find. I wouldn't recommend gold plated watches myself, they can start to look very scruffy when the plating begins to wear - nightmare to get one replated as well.

For something a little less old fashioned, how about something like this Tissot - has a chronograph feature to make things a little more interesting, understated, and comes with a proper deployant buckle. It'd look great with a suit, but would work casually as well. Alternatively, this is a great value watch - automatic, day and date function, classic looks with a modern twist. Again, would work nicely in a formal situation

Let me know if I'm somewhere near the mark

You obviously missed the point of that.. I was comparing Rolex to Breitling and Piaget not to Armani and D&G, Piaget and Breitling and just as good, it just seems rolex is commercially endorsed as hell. And to be honest, they are no better then Piaget etc.
pinkpont
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You obviously missed the point of that.. I was comparing Rolex to Breitling and Piaget not to Armani and D&G, Piaget and Breitling and just as good, it just seems rolex is commercially endorsed as hell. And to be honest, they are no better then Piaget etc.
Any major watch brand is heavily advertised these days - if anything, Rolex keeps a relatively low standing compared to the exposure of some brands. Besides, you'd be better off comparing Piaget to the ultra-high end brands, such as Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin etc., they do something completely different to what Rolex are doing. If you want to compare to Rolex, then the brands closest to them in terms of price and design have to be Omega, Breitling, Panerai, Jaeger Le Coultre (at a push), Cartier (likewise), Audemars Piguet and Zenith. Piaget are on a whole different level, it's unfair to compare them.

Breitling vs. Rolex is a bit more of a fair comparison. Breitling has the edge in chronographs, as that is their speciality, but Rolex has the edge in divers - the Submariner Date and Deep Sea are the two finest dive watches available to buy today. Rolex does dress watches better, does understated much better, and doesn't rely on quartz and cheap movements at their entry level. I would also say, at least on the models that have received updates, the bracelets are executed better - that's not to say that Breitling's are bad, but Rolex have got it absolutely spot on with their new generation of clasps and bracelets. They've found the balance between comfort and a feeling of solidity - I always find Breitling bracelets a touch on the heavy side. Movement wise, Rolex is 100% in-house, compared to a lot of reliance on ETA from Breitling. I do like the basic Navitimer, but that's about the extent of what I would have from Breitling - the rest of the range doesn't do a lot for me. Rolex will always beat Breitling on resale as well - Breitlings are well known for their horrible depreciation.

As for my mentioning of D&G and Armani, they're pretty much my most hated watch brands. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about them at all, throwaway watches with ridiculous price tags. You would have to know absolutely nothing about watches to willingly go out and buy one - all glitz with no substance.
hazelsaurus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Any major watch brand is heavily advertised these days - if anything, Rolex keeps a relatively low standing compared to the exposure of some brands. Besides, you'd be better off comparing Piaget to the ultra-high end brands, such as Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin etc., they do something completely different to what Rolex are doing. If you want to compare to Rolex, then the brands closest to them in terms of price and design have to be Omega, Breitling, Panerai, Jaeger Le Coultre (at a push), Cartier (likewise), Audemars Piguet and Zenith. Piaget are on a whole different level, it's unfair to compare them.

Breitling vs. Rolex is a bit more of a fair comparison. Breitling has the edge in chronographs, as that is their speciality, but Rolex has the edge in divers - the Submariner Date and Deep Sea are the two finest dive watches available to buy today. Rolex does dress watches better, does understated much better, and doesn't rely on quartz and cheap movements at their entry level. I would also say, at least on the models that have received updates, the bracelets are executed better - that's not to say that Breitling's are bad, but Rolex have got it absolutely spot on with their new generation of clasps and bracelets. They've found the balance between comfort and a feeling of solidity - I always find Breitling bracelets a touch on the heavy side. Movement wise, Rolex is 100% in-house, compared to a lot of reliance on ETA from Breitling. I do like the basic Navitimer, but that's about the extent of what I would have from Breitling - the rest of the range doesn't do a lot for me. Rolex will always beat Breitling on resale as well - Breitlings are well known for their horrible depreciation.

As for my mentioning of D&G and Armani, they're pretty much my most hated watch brands. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about them at all, throwaway watches with ridiculous price tags. You would have to know absolutely nothing about watches to willingly go out and buy one - all glitz with no substance.
Yeah.. but even still, Rolex are over rated when there are other competitors which are equally good, that's the point im trying to make..

And yeah.. I really don't think that wearing a Breitling to school or casually really works that well, being a bit pretentious about watch brands doesnt make your opinion any more valid, D&G and Armani etc. are still pretty good, and fit OP's price range. That's another point I was trying to make -_-

Don't reply, you're getting really boring.
Pendulum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah.. but even still, Rolex are over rated when there are other competitors which are equally good, that's the point im trying to make..

And yeah.. I really don't think that wearing a Breitling to school or casually really works that well, being a bit pretentious about watch brands doesnt make your opinion any more valid, D&amp;G and Armani etc. are still pretty good, and fit OP's price range. That's another point I was trying to make -_-

He's right though that by you suggesting that D&G and Armani are "pretty good" shows you know nothing about watches at all. They are cheaply manufactured quartz watches with cheap materials and tacky styles.
hazelsaurus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pendulum)
He's right though that by you suggesting that D&G and Armani are "pretty good" shows you know nothing about watches at all. They are cheaply manufactured quartz watches with cheap materials and tacky styles.
I'm saying you wouldn't wear an expensive watch to school FFS what's so hard to understand... that's precisely why you wear/ buy them, because it doesn't matter if they break.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm saying you wouldn't wear an expensive watch to school FFS what's so hard to understand... that's precisely why you wear/ buy them, because it doesn't matter if they break.
Why bother when the OP asked for a dress watch? ie, not a watch for everyday...

For the price you pay, those D&G/Armani/et al watches are total tripe.
pinkpont
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

And yeah.. I really don't think that wearing a Breitling to school or casually really works that well, being a bit pretentious about watch brands doesnt make your opinion any more valid, D&G and Armani etc. are still pretty good, and fit OP's price range. That's another point I was trying to make -_-

In certain cases, yes, Rolex's competitors have credible rivals - prior to the entire overhaul of the range (which has been going on since 2001), I didn't think that a lot of the models were worth the money. But now they've modernised the watches, the hype is deserved in the vast majority of cases. There's a good reason why people love Rolex so much, and that is because they're bloody good watches. Not many brands can compete with Rolex when it comes to innovation, reliability, build quality and beauty. Just out of interest, have you ever handled a Rolex before forming an opinion?

I would agree that wearing a luxury watch to school is a bit over the top, but in the real world (let's not forget the OP is asking for a watch to wear for his job), pretty much anything goes. I can happily wear my Datejust (a watch traditionally described as dressy) with a T-shirt and jeans, and it'll look great. I would also wager you wouldn't even realise it was a Rolex, as, in my experience, the vast majority of people wouldn't know what one looked like if they tried. I don't wear my watch for anyone's benefit but my own, and I'm quite happy with that. I don't want to have people pestering me all day long

As for just 'being a bit pretentious about watch brands,' I've worked at a watch dealership for the past three and a half years, intend on working full time in the industry after I graduate, and am well known and respected for my knowledge (particularly for Rolex, but also Omega) there, as well as having a general enthusiasm for a lot of watches. I like cheap watches - one of my favourite watches is a Seiko automatic, which costs maybe a third of the price of some of the crap Armani peddles. It has a proper mechanical movement, is built like a tank (the Armanis I've handled always have the most awful bracelets), and I bought it because I like the watch, not the fashion label on it. Seiko know a thing or two about making watches, whilst Armani and D&G know a lot about selling cheap items for inflated prices. My issue with them is that you can get watches with exactly the same movement and specifications for much, much less - it is purely the fashion label (which no serious watch enthusiast would take seriously) that justifies their price. They are an absolute waste of money, no questions asked - Armanis are really £50-80 watches, yet they sell for £200-300. It's ridiculous

Seriously, don't try to claim you're a watch expert when it is clear you know bugger all
History-Student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have no watch credentials, but please don't get a gold one <shudders>
DoubleB
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Her cheers for all the responses guys, much appreciated. The rotary one is the one that immediately caught my eye, seems classy but understated at the same time. With regards to completely gold watch, I was mistaken, it probably is a bit over the top. Any one has any more recommendations? Keeping in mind budget and the style Im moving towards i a leather strap, I think anyway, but open to new suggestions.
Cheers
Mr-Dangerous
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you like skeleton watches ?
theseeker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DoubleB)
Hey, I know theres already a few threads about watches about but thought Id add a new one! Have a budget of £200-500 for a dress watch.Whats everybody's thoughts, best places to buy? I was thinking a leather strap, and originally did not like gold but a few have caught my eye. Is gold a bit garish though? Anyones thoughts are welcome, cheers
Have you thought about silver strap?
kingkev
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seriously, don't try to claim you're a watch expert when it is clear you know bugger all
Lol you pretty much owned that girl haha. I don't know anything about watches but Time magazine always advertise Rolex and Breguet.
What's Breguet? They look very understated and opulent.

To the OP as someone has already said don't get a gold watch.
pinkpont
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kingkev)
Lol you pretty much owned that girl haha. I don't know anything about watches but Time magazine always advertise Rolex and Breguet.
What's Breguet? They look very understated and opulent.

To the OP as someone has already said don't get a gold watch.
Breguet is a brand name with a lot of history, certainly with one of the most interesting backstories. The brand dates back to the late 18th Century, and is responsible for a lot of innovative techniques that we take for granted in watchmaking today. They're now owned by the Swatch Group (which owns a lot of Switzerland's most influential brands: Omega, Blancpain, Rado, Tissot, Glashutte, Hamilton, just to name a few), and function as the group's flagship brand. It caters to the ultra high-end market, focuses on hand finishing and grand complications. Expensive pieces of kit, but some of the very finest watchmaking money can buy - comparable brands would be Patek Philippe, Lange & Sohne, and Vacheron Constantin
Jez RR
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a Tissot - the V8 Chronograph. Really like it. It looks like it should cost at least double what it does. Been very reliable so far, very durable.
pinkpont
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jez RR)
I have a Tissot - the V8 Chronograph. Really like it. It looks like it should cost at least double what it does. Been very reliable so far, very durable.
I own a Tissot myself too, a PR50 NASCAR Chronograph, and I would agree - fit and finish is very impressive. I think I paid £160 for it, and I got a nice chronograph module with 1/10 second counter, a sapphire crystal, and carbon fibre dial, a good quality leather strap and some very impressive brush work on the steel. It definitely does feel related to Omega, for example, and is, all-round, a cracking little watch
freeagent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want a dress watch, try a german brand like Stowa, the Antea is perfect for your requirements and should be just in budget.

You won't find them in the shops and the waiting list is minimum 3 months usually, but I can vouch for the quailty. I have a limited edition antea (1 of 80 made), a Stowa Seatime, and a Limited Stowa Marine Original.

If you look on most watch forums you will see that they are highly rated and quite rare, hence the longish wait.

I can post some pics later if your interested.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads