At Least 339 Killed In US Tornado Devastation Watch

thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The USA announces to the GA the devastation that has been reaped upon our country.

At least 339 people have been killed in violent tornadoes and storms in the south-eastern United States.

The twisters - which are the deadliest US natural disaster since Hurricane Katrina - could end up costing insurers more than £3bn.

President Barack Obama has visited the worst-hit state, Alabama, where the city of Tuscaloosa was devastated by the storms.

He said: "I have never seen devastation like this. It is heartbreaking.

"This is something I don't think anyone has seen before."

He pledged state aid to the affected areas, adding: "We are going to do everything we can to help these communities rebuild."

In total, seven states have been affected by the storms. In Alabama alone, 238 are reportedly dead, while at least 101 more deaths were reported in Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia, Virginia and Louisiana.

Foreign Secretary William Hague offered his condolences to the victims: "I am deeply saddened by the loss and suffering caused by the devastating tornadoes that have ravaged Alabama and the south of the United States in recent days.

"I offer my condolences to all those who have lost relatives or been injured or left homeless. My thoughts are also with all those that continue in the rescue efforts.

"The United Kingdom enjoys an immensely close relationship with the United States.

"There are extensive personal links between the people of Britain and the United States. I know I join very many in offering my thoughts and prayers for all those affected."

Tuscaloosa resident Jack Fagan, 23, said he was glad that Obama saw the damage. "Perhaps federal funds will help us, but I'm sure it will take longer than they say because it always does."

Recovery could cost billions of dollars and even with federal disaster aid it could complicate efforts by affected states to bounce back from the recession.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor..._United_States

[ooc] I Know people who live in those states. They have said that where they are it's been ok, but 30 miles down the road it's been scenes of devastation. [/ooc]
CookieGhoul
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Malaysia offers their deepest sympathies to those affected by the tornadoes. However, we also feel that there is a direct connection between climate change and tornadoes. The overall increase in destructive weather and natural disasters seems undeniable.

We feel that when it comes to dangerous weather, it might be sensible to apply the precautionary principle, which states that when considerable evidence exists for a link between a certain policy and danger to human life, outright proof shouldn’t be needed to bring a change in policy direction. Today, the US and the world policy of burning fossil fuels inexorably has augmented the likelihood of life-threatening storms. By the time the link between climate change and any one weather event can be unequivocally established, it may be too late to do anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed