Reapplying Question Watch

Kingbradley6
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

Just a few questions:

1) When reapplying to study medicine is it wise to mention in your personal statement that you were unsuccessful the previous academic year?

2) Although there are obviously some major areas of the statement that one should change (i.e. saying what you plan to do in your gap year), does UCAS mind if you keep some of your previous one? I know they use some sort of copy-fraud software to check if you have copied anyone else - would a statement based on one's own personal statement also get flagged up?

I think that's all for now. If I think of anything else I'll ask

Thanks!
Magician
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kingbradley6)
Hi,

Just a few questions:

1) When reapplying to study medicine is it wise to mention in your personal statement that you were unsuccessful the previous academic year?

2) Although there are obviously some major areas of the statement that one should change (i.e. saying what you plan to do in your gap year), does UCAS mind if you keep some of your previous one? I know they use some sort of copy-fraud software to check if you have copied anyone else - would a statement based on one's own personal statement also get flagged up?

I think that's all for now. If I think of anything else I'll ask

Thanks!
1) dont write that. It doesnt add any strength to your personal statement.

2) You can keep a lot of the content from previous application as it is your own writing (hopefully :P). But also think of the reason why you were unsuccessful the first time... It might have been your personal statement that was lacking so I think you should try to improve your previous one even if it was good (always room for improvement )
Kingbradley6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magician)
1) dont write that. It doesnt add any strength to your personal statement.

2) You can keep a lot of the content from previous application as it is your own writing (hopefully :P). But also think of the reason why you were unsuccessful the first time... It might have been your personal statement that was lacking so I think you should try to improve your previous one even if it was good (always room for improvement )
1) Oh right yeah good point didn't think about that I guess I was thinking I could turn it into a positive but now you mention it I guess I should only put in positives.

2) Ok cool. Nah I got all interviews, it was that which let me down not my statement.

Thank you!
Cheesecakefactory
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you apply to medical schools abroad during your gap year?
Kingbradley6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cheesecakefactory)
Did you apply to medical schools abroad during your gap year?
I am not yet on a gap year, but I will be next year. I will be applying abroad as well next year just for your information.
Cheesecakefactory
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am not yet on a gap year, but I will be next year. I will be applying abroad as well next year just for your information.
Sorry to be nosy, but may I ask where you will be applying?
Kingbradley6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cheesecakefactory)
Sorry to be nosy, but may I ask where you will be applying?
The Irish universities and possibly Malta. Nothing is final though, it is too early to say. These are just ideas.

What position are you in?
Magician
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
Should you get to the interview stage again next year, contact me and I'll help you out as they are quite easy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise