The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 resit - 16th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mmsalvatore
What was your answers on the question about where meristems can be found.

I said: pericycle inside the endodermis in the root and cambium between the xylem and phloem in the stem
Original post by Tiffany
what is an organ?

I wrote

An organ is a collection of tissues which coordinate to perform a specific function, in this case, tissue in liver work to produce bile.

(thats what the liver does right :confused::confused: )
Reply 222
Original post by DarkSunshine
I wrote

An organ is a collection of tissues which coordinate to perform a specific function, in this case, tissue in liver work to produce bile.

Yeah, but it didn't ask why the liver was an organ, so you didn't have to say the last part.
Reply 223
Original post by Wakefield

Original post by Wakefield
what did people get for the calculation of the cells that were in nuclear division? i got 18.00% but i dont know if all the parts were actual stages of nuclear division

18%
Roots and stem.

did it ask for which organ?

I can't remember the exact question, but no, it didn't ask about which organ. It just asked where meristem is found. I wrote Cambium and Shoot. So I am gussing I am wrong. There goes 2 marks down the drain!
Reply 225
what is the definition of active transport? was that one of the questions?
Reply 226
I wrote

yeah thats what i wrote and wrote last part just incase!!
For the question about where the meristem is found, I put the cambium and the tip of a shoot. Wasn't that what they wanted?
Original post by Groat
Yeah, but it didn't ask why the liver was an organ, so you didn't have to say the last part.

fair enough, :smile:

But in a past paper, i remember seeing them ask the same things about the lungs.. where it said
"Dont accept function - unqualified." soo.. it can't hurt to write it right?
-but, yes, given that it was a two mark question, it can't have been too specific
Original post by Signed Solution
For the question about where the meristem is found, I put the cambium and the tip of a shoot. Wasn't that what they wanted?

Thats what I did. But the book says Meristems are found at the roots and shoot tips, and in ring of tissues in the stem or trunk.
That was a 2 Mark question, right?
Original post by mmsalvatore
Thats what I did. But the book says Meristems are found at the roots and shoot tips, and in ring of tissues in the stem or trunk.
That was a 2 Mark question, right?

yeah, two marks :smile:
Reply 231
fair enough, :smile:

But in a past paper, i remember seeing them ask the same things about the lungs.. where it said
"Dont accept function - unqualified." soo.. it can't hurt to write it right?
-but, yes, given that it was a two mark question, it can't have been too specific

yeah but it was stating an example as the liver the past paper specifically asked why are the lungs organs not what is an organ in genral ! :smile:
i put an organ is a group of two or more tissues that work together to prvide an overall,vital, bodily function
Reply 232
the one about meristem cells i also put pericycle and cambium
Reply 233
what did you write for source sink or neither?
Original post by aedai
when was there a question about root hair cells?(I sware I didn't miss any pages as I went through it afterwards.)

hm people were saying that the spirometer trace goes slightly down but if you're at rest it should go constant and flat.

annoys that nothing came up about lymph fluid and transpiration.

I was the same with the spirometer oxygen uptake. I just wrote random stuff :frown:

Was the first long question about elastic tissue.. squamous epithelium and things?

there was so much about the heart :frown: I wasn't confident about any of those questions to be honest. I've seen nothing written about them in the book.

Spirometer goes down even if you are at rest because CO2 is absorbed by soda lime, so the overall volume of gas decreases in the chamber. The trace is the same shape but it inclines downward .

EDIT : Woops someone had already said that.
Reply 235
for the translocation i put the companion cell actively pumps H+ ions out of the cell this creates a diffusion gradient. The H+ the diffuse back into the companion cell boud to another molecule (eg sucrose). The do so through cotransporter proteins. This again creates a diffusion gradient so the sucrose diffuses into the phloem through the plasmodesmata. This creates a very low water potential so water moves into the phloem creating hydrostatic pressure :smile:
Original post by Tiffany

I did, Source, Neither, Source.
But I think that wrong.
Reply 237
Original post by Tiffany

i wrote sink,neither,sink
Original post by ciarangc
Sounds good to me. I mentioned no cell contents also and the fact the companion cells were metabolically very active. Ok paper on the whole. Didnt enjoy the question on the spirometer much. :frown:

Wrote the exact same thing :biggrin:
i put source, source then sink - but im completely unsure - i didnt put any neithers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending