Anyone with a plan to live forever? Watch

The-Real-One
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
First of all, posting in this forum is a long shot, but it's vague where exactly I should post it. But since all you people are philosophical here, you will have no doubt all thought about death.

I plan to get life insurance as soon as I get a job, with the insurance payout to pay for cryopreservation of my brain and possibly my body. There are organisations in the US which does this, such as the Alcor Foundation. I will also need plan when I die to have enough money saved to pay enough interest in perpetuity for my continued cryopreservation.

Now obviously if I die by accident, that's very unfortunate, my brain can't be preserved if its been floating down the Thames for 2 weeks after being stabbed then pushed over. But otherwise if I die under medical supervision in a hospital, I can be preserved.

The plan is to live long enough to live forever, similiary to Kurzweil's Singularity hypothesis. My hope is one day I can be put into a computer, a massive parellel neural net processor that mimics the human brain, so not the desktop sitting on your table now.

Obviously this requires making a stand somewhere in the Philosophy of Mind, it requires me to believe that personal identity is specific set of patterns, not quite physicalism and definitely not immaterialist. The closest match is in the field of psychology, the computational theory of mind.

So.. discuss!
Pn94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Once I get the elixir of life, yes, that's the idea.
Smilingsam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry your doomed the philosophers stone got destoyed
jimi191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yup

step 1. buy socks
step 2. ?????????
step 3. imortality!!!!
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't intend to live forever. I expect to die in hospital in about 60-70 years.
If those cryogenic preservations become economically viable then I might consider it, though I already have plans for my burial which require the body. I guess perhaps the brain could be taken out. Although if my brain could be brought back to life I wonder what the psychological consequences of knowing that your body has rotted away would be?
ade92uk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seperate my mind when my body is about to die to become only a consciousness. Or transfer my consciousness to lab made bodies.
samuelrichards
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Alot of people plan to live for ever... in fatc most religeons suggest you will if your good and hence people obey them so that they live forever
blazin_hater
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I plan to disapear and become a conspiracy theory....the true way of living forever!!!
damidude
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's not how I'm doing it....
Bslforever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I plan to do it just like Elvis. Die and then pop back every so often to talk to spiritualists.

Or maybe like Tupac - die and then release the occasional album here and there
MathematicsKiller
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ever seen Star Trek? Half of those in cryopreservation die because of malfunctions in the machines...
jumpinglunch
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why would you want to live forever? When your loved one's die, the value you place on life is worthless, for it is not worth living.
tite23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe I'm naive as I'm still in grade school and haven't taken biology - but isn't the only thing that says immortality is impossible is the fact that nobody (that we know of...) has achieved it yet?

Also, to simplify things, couldn't you say that the secret to immortality is to not die? Or is this impossible?
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Was a video about this, I'll try find it...

He's an interesting guy, if a little crazy.

Personally I'm waiting for the day we can become cyborgs like in Ghost in the Shell :rofl: Would be awesome :top:
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"So far, so good."
Unwavering
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know about immortality, but I would like to live hopefully over 100 years with a considerable degree of physical strength still left intact.
Unwavering
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by teshla^^)
Why would you want to live forever? When your loved one's die, the value you place on life is worthless, for it is not worth living.
Some people live life for themselves...
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I plan to live forever. And I'm doing well so far. And hell, if I fail, I doubt I'll notice.
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by teshla^^)
Why don't we just kill ourselves now then if live isn't worth living?

The reason people don't want to live longer is because of health risks and standard of living later on in life. If you could live at 100 as you do at 30 I'm sure many would change their opinion.
Darth Maul
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Proposition 1 death= not existing

If p1 is true (I can't seem to imagine what not existing is like no matter hard I try) then being dead isn't that bad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.32%
No - but I will (38)
6.82%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (263)
47.22%

Watched Threads