What is the fascination with "lads holidays" to Ibiza, Malia etc? Watch

SexyAbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
All it is, is getting wasted (****ing up your liver) until the early hours, then sleeping until afternoon, chilling on the beach for a few hours, eating, then doing it all over again the next day. Do people really think that is fun? Seriously? Problem is, I have mates who actually are into this type of holiday, but I am really not into that type of holiday (if you'd call it a holiday) at all. I am more of the backpacking, hiking mountains, seeing picturesque scenery, visiting historic monuments/countries etc.
I would much rather take a hiking holiday over a partying one, any day. Do any of you feel the same way?
psychocustard
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like both, I just can't physically do the typical 18-30s holiday to the extreme that others do.

I can't stand the idea of a hiking holiday, though >_<
Pn94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as you get laid, s'all good in the hood.
Magsam
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My idea of hell.
jonski
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like both, backpacking type hols are probably more rewarding but lads holidays are way more fun. Just depends on the person
Conkermon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The fascination with Ibiza is the music, clubs, cosmopolitan mix of people, stunning women, beautiful beaches, drugs and alcohol. I'd always take that over hiking or something. It really depends on your interests and the type of person you are.
Faustus Fotherby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's considered a bit of a rite of passage (if you've been watching "Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents"), going on holiday with your friends - whether you go to a Spanish party town or somewhere else depends on your group I guess.

My friends and I went to a Spanish town but it wasn't a party hub and we just went to see the culture as well as spend some time on the beach.
lyrical_lie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ooh ahh maliaa say.......
SteveCrain
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Getting wasted=fun

Getting wasted=everyone believing they have the chance of a pull

sex=fun

It doesn't take a genius to work out, and if you think you're in any way superior because you enjoy the fresh air of the Alps or Scottish Highlands, you're going to fall out of the genetic race for being thick and preferring sheep.
Delta Aitch
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
Well, backpacking and hiking seem to be quite lonesome stuff. I mean, they're brilliant and rewarding and you do obviously meet a great mix of people, but at the end of the day, people you meet along the way you will talk to for a bit and then you'll be back on your way.

With lads holidays, I guess the appeal is that you meet an eclectic mix of people wherever you go. It seems a lot more fast-paced and wild.

Tbh, I'm not much of a hiker and I can do site-seeing and stuff, but after a while, I'm like '**** this, I want a drink and a bit of sunbathing'. I'm much more of a 'relax by the pool' holiday type of girl, anyway.
FilthyYouth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Like any holiday it is an escape. I'm sure it's a lot more fun to celebrate finishing college or university by going on a "lads holiday" than a group hiking trip or something.
Shmeiks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're not really into it, avoid it like the plague. My friends and I went to Magaluf for a 'lads holiday', and it was honestly the worst experience of my life; the vast majority of people at these places are not ones you would take home to your parents, let alone engage in conversation with.
SteveCrain
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Shmeiks)
If you're not really into it, avoid it like the plague. My friends and I went to Magaluf for a 'lads holiday', and it was honestly the worst experience of my life; the vast majority of people at these places are not ones you would take home to your parents, let alone engage in conversation with.
tbh half the people probably think like that, as you only really observe each other when pissed.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't consider Ibiza to be a lad holiday destination.

Surely Thailand and The Netherlands?
Shroob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Like others have said - just depends on the type of person you are. Personally it would also be my idea of hell, but equally I can understand how my idea of a holiday would be someone elses hell.
RoseRequiem
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by psychocustard)
I like both, I just can't physically do the typical 18-30s holiday to the extreme that others do.

I can't stand the idea of a hiking holiday, though >_<
Same here! Myself and 3 friends are off to Spain (near Barcelona) this summer to party and let out hair loose after the exams But next summer I plan to inter-rail in Europe, or go to Hong Kong/Tokyo (depends how it is after the tsunami/radiation )
sofia278
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is completely true!
Its a chance for them to enter the cheap and tacky bars. Get wasted on cheap alcohol and hook up with women who are ugly ****s.
Its not a holiday anyway - its basically just "Sunny England" There is no culture whatsoever. It's all English bars, english food restaurants serving greasy food like fish & chips and dirty beaches full of English people who let their kids go and wee in the sea etc... hahah!!
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Girls.
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've never been one for going out and getting wasted. That being said I've always wanted to go to Ibiza for the music & clubbing experience. I'm really in to trance so that may partly be it. As for why people go to Malaga & the likes, I guess because they want something different. After all isn't the entire idea of a holiday doing something you love somewhere different? As you say you like going hiking, well they like clubbing so they go on clubbing holidays instead. Not something I'd ever do, but everyone has different ideas of what's fun.
Lamptastic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm more of a hiker and adventurer but I still like my beach and booze-ups.

I like to try a bit of everything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads