Bleeding in the digestive tract. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Not sure if bleeding of the digestive tract is accurate in this scenario. But I just did a quick google search and the first link had this title. When I clicked the link however, there was extensive information when all I'd really like to know is something concise right now without all the science behind it.

Ok, so my boyfriend told me how he had experienced bleeding whilst going to the loo (spotted it on the toilet paper). It has occured three times now but over the space of about 1.5 to 2 months, I should think. No pain or anything, though. I told him to go to the doctor straightaway when it happened the first time but he's not been able to find the time. He wants to go but something or another just seems to get in the way but I'm concerned for obvious reasons.

And just now, he told me when he was doing his mouthwash, some blood came out of his throat area. I asked him specifically if he was sure it wasn't just gum bleeding or some sort of cut in his mouth and he's quite confident it came from within rather than just from the mouth area.

I'm really scared as it does not sound good at all. He's saying he will try and book an appointment tomorrow and I could tell from his voice, he's scared too. Obviously a GP can look into it best but right now, I'd just like to know briefly if its serious or what might be causing it?

He has blood pressure issues and in recent times, I find his diet to be very bad. He's quite busy so has two meals a day and has burgers and chips more regularly than he should, in my opinion. But his other meal is at home so is usually healthy and more balanced. Despite his eating habits, he is not overweight and probably would class in the normal range of BMI. I don't know if any of that's relevant whatsoever but just thought I'd add it in case it is.

Is it serious?
secret_smile
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Not sure if bleeding of the digestive tract is accurate in this scenario. But I just did a quick google search and the first link had this title. When I clicked the link however, there was extensive information when all I'd really like to know is something concise right now without all the science behind it.

Ok, so my boyfriend told me how he had experienced bleeding whilst going to the loo (spotted it on the toilet paper). It has occured three times now but over the space of about 1.5 to 2 months, I should think. No pain or anything, though. I told him to go to the doctor straightaway when it happened the first time but he's not been able to find the time. He wants to go but something or another just seems to get in the way but I'm concerned for obvious reasons.

And just now, he told me when he was doing his mouthwash, some blood came out of his throat area. I asked him specifically if he was sure it wasn't just gum bleeding or some sort of cut in his mouth and he's quite confident it came from within rather than just from the mouth area.

I'm really scared as it does not sound good at all. He's saying he will try and book an appointment tomorrow and I could tell from his voice, he's scared too. Obviously a GP can look into it best but right now, I'd just like to know briefly if its serious or what might be causing it?

He has blood pressure issues and in recent times, I find his diet to be very bad. He's quite busy so has two meals a day and has burgers and chips more regularly than he should, in my opinion. But his other meal is at home so is usually healthy and more balanced. Despite his eating habits, he is not overweight and probably would class in the normal range of BMI. I don't know if any of that's relevant whatsoever but just thought I'd add it in case it is.

Is it serious?
The blood on the loo roll is highly likely be piles or hemorrhoids imo. Blackened or tarry stools is the usual sign of bleeding in the digestive tract, not spots of blood. Having a low fibre diet also may increase the chance of developing piles as well.

That is just my impression anyway. Very slight bleeding and no internal pain or discomfort doesn't sound particularly sinister.

Just see a doctor and get it checked out to be safe.
Rob da Mop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bad diet can contribute haemorrhoids, blood in the mouth is likely to be from the gums or some other part of the mouth - if it was any further in it would probably be coming out the other end. He should definitely see a doctor, but I probably wouldn't worry. It's possible that the GP will want to do some tests with regards to the blood spotting on the toilet paper as some serious, but rather rare, diseases can present in early stages like that. This wouldn't be something to worry about, but the GP wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't satisfied that it wasn't anything serious.

In the end the doctor will know what to do. It sounds like it's nothing serious, just something he should get checked out as soon as possible. Don't worry about it for the moment.
Bslforever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Send him off to the doc. You haven't given us enough information for us to be able to help you at all. The doctor will be able to reassure you and give you all the explanation you will nee.d.
hxecute
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by secret_smile)
The blood on the loo roll is highly likely be piles or hemorrhoids imo. Blackened or tarry stools is the usual sign of bleeding in the digestive tract, not spots of blood. Having a low fibre diet also may increase the chance of developing piles as well.

That is just my impression anyway. Very slight bleeding and no internal pain or discomfort doesn't sound particularly sinister.

Just see a doctor and get it checked out to be safe.
This is correct. I think the blood from the mouth isn't connected to the blood on the loo roll, so don't worry too much. Have it checked out by a doctor just to be safe.

Edit: inb4lewroll
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok just to give more information, he feels like a burning sensation in his stomach if he eats oily food. And yesterday, after he had the blood coming out of his mouth, he had pasta to eat and vomited it out straight after. Is it most likely diet related? I want him to go to the doctor but he's at work and I don't know if the doctors will even be open.
rbnphlp
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok just to give more information, he feels like a burning sensation in his stomach if he eats oily food. And yesterday, after he had the blood coming out of his mouth, he had pasta to eat and vomited it out straight after. Is it most likely diet related? I want him to go to the doctor but he's at work and I don't know if the doctors will even be open.
vThe symptoms you mentioned can be from benign conditions to much serious stuff.
Also depend's how old 'he ' is .If he's like 45+ ,I would just go to the doctor's .If the GP's closed , just go to A&E.

So all in all ,go to the doctor .simple as
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
His GP is his friend here
StarsAreFixed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It would be far more serious if the blood was black, in greater volumes, or black/tarry stools. Still he should go to the doctor definitely and find time for it, it's important!
U.S Lecce
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sometimes people get a little blood on their toilet paper if the have piles or something minor like that. But usually you can tell if you have it because your but stings like you've just ate the world hottest curry, and the blood looks fresh if that makes sense. If his stool is a dark bloody colour then he could have bleeding somewhere in his stomach or intestines. If he feels sick after eating oily or acidic food it could be an ulcer in his stomach of some sort, possibly peptic. It would be wise to see his gp straight away, because the earlier you treat the ulcer the easier it is to treat.

For the time being tell him to stay away from acidic and oils foods and just stick to White meats, unacidic veg and soft carbs like pasta. Also raw cabbage does wonders for ulcers and gi problems so tell him to eat some.
junior.doctor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No-one here can make a proper diagnosis - his GP needs to see him, and will need to examine his anus (he should bear that in mind and book in with a male GP if that's what he'd prefer.) The GP will be able to take a proper history and ask the right questions which will narrow down possible diagnoses. As others have said, it doesn't sound as though the upper and lower end bleeding are related, however the only person who can say for sure what's happening is the GP. Realistically - he's busy, yes, but he needs to invest time in his health too and get this checked out within the next week or two.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (534)
37.82%
No - but I will (110)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (672)
47.59%

Watched Threads