Living on your own, advice please :) Watch

Arianfire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi! I'm a student of the hereford college of art and design, doing the extended diploma course in art and design, and have pretty much made up my mind that at the end of next year I would like to go on to do the BA(HONS) Illustration degree at Falmouth university (lets just asume I get accepted lol ). However I recently realised that I'm probabaly going to fail at life, unless I can prepare myself for life on my own. :eek: Currently, I have a lot of help from my parents with stuff, they pay for everything, cook etc which obviously will cease to continue when I leave. I suffer from terrible home sickness too which kinda sucks... And I can get really really stressy to the point of making myself ill which really doesn't help. So I was wondering, if anyone out there who has gone through at least part of the university transition could offer me some advice on getting through the three years. I could really do with the help :

Thanks to all that contribute
sunnyskem
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Listen out at night for burgulars, they break in and torture people
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will learn to cook quickly enough There are lots of things which are simple to make. Maybe buy a student cookbook, we had a lot of fun with mine in our flat Also, you'll make friends, so you won't be "on your own" in the true sense of the word, so don't worry. Everyone has a couple of problems at first but you'll soon settle in and realise that you're capable of looking after yourself. Trust me, if I am, you are!
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a learning curve you can't really adequately prepare for. Look before you leap, but then throw yourself into it. :]
bestofyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sunnyskem)
Listen out at night for burgulars, they break in and torture people
No, then they wouldn't technically be burgulars. Burgulars tend to burgul.
ShadowConspiracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't worry about it, I learnt to cook within a week, when starting at uni, now I fancy myself on masterchef, Haha but seriously I enjoy the independence and freedom you get with living on your own.
Vohamanah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I live on my own and love it =)

Might sound obvious, but make sure you know how to do things like cook, do laundry, iron etc before you go. Couldn't believe how many people at uni had no idea how to use a washing machine o.0

Also make sure you get direct debits etc set up for your bills if they are separate from your rent. Don't forget things like TV license, council tax and the electoral roll.
GBateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Regarding TV Licensing;

Bslforever
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just don't panic. Learn to cook some basic food. Learn to wash clothes. Sorted.

Budgeting isn't too difficult. Do your best for the first month or so. You will probably make mistakes and overspend here and there (we all do) but i'm sure your parents will help you out until you know how to budget correctly.

Also, make good friends. Friends like to help each other out! I know people who cook for me in return for me doing the washing afterwards etc. Arrangements like that make everything a little easier.
Acromida
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be fair, I think it's something where you learn as you experience it.

At 17, I didn't know a lot about living on my own, but you soon learn how to cook (because you're hungry and it's too expensive to buy pre-made food) - you can look for good recipes on the Internet, or get some friends to show you? To be honest, there are plenty of healthy meals you can put together that don't even involve much/any actual skill in cooking.
Again, with doing the washing etc...just read the washing machine manual if you have one, but to be honest it's just common sense. Yes, things may go wrong (I've already had the red sock in the whites 'disaster'), but you'll learn as you go along.

I'd agree with the poster above, that the most complicated thing is probably the financial aspect, so getting the direct debits set up for bills, or if you have pay-as-you-go gas/ electricity etc, then make sure you check regularly and remember to top it up whenever it's running low. Getting your TV license is easy now, you can do it all online and it only takes a few minutes.

For the home sickness...well, at first you'll hopefully be so caught up in the excitement of everything, you won't even have time to miss home! But when it does start to set in, hopefully by then you'll have started to feel as though you're at 'home' in your new place. Just keep busy if you ever feel homesick and take your mind off it - you'll get used to your new lifestyle in no time
bansheeee*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i live in a studio flat... i love it!!
Young Spade
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Learn how to cook, cooking is a major thing and you should find a good place to get good quality food for a lower price, no use spending money when you don't have to.

Secure your apartment/house and make a mental note to lock up and make sure it's secure before you leave. If you can, get a firearm or some sort of protection and hide it near your bed for quick access if you need to use it.
Arianfire
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for all the advice guys, I feel much better now
Refrigerator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you will man up to face any problems that will come, as they come, not right now

people evolve when they need to, not when they want to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.89%
No - but I will (13)
4.51%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (143)
49.65%

Watched Threads