Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In the interviews, will the tutors ask a few questions based on what you've put on your PS, or will they ask the same questions to all the applicants so they can compare between them?

ReputationRep:
    or a mixture of both?

ReputationRep:
    You tell me.

ReputationRep:
    oxford offers a variety of subjects.
    oxford is a collegiate university.
    colleges seem to have ultimate responsibility for their own undergraduate interviewing/admissions rather than departments, although the degree of departmental influence/co-ordination/organisation varies.
    college tutors/admissions processes formats are flexible from year to year.

one might assume the answer to your question will vary from college to college, year to year & subject to subject. :p:
    thus posting it on TSR wanting a definitive answer is perhaps a waste of time - unless the AT/JCR rep for your subject at your college this year happens to be reading..?

ReputationRep:
    What's a banana?

ReputationRep:
    "A vital ingredient in my now legendary banana-chocolate chip cakes...which utilise my skills of practical precision, creativity, ability to relax & unwind whilst caring for the well-being of others...

would you like to try one, Mr/Ms interviewer? :angel:"

:pig:

ReputationRep:
    hehe: "are the little black bits in bananas tarantulas eggs"

ReputationRep:
    I imagine they'll ask you about PS, written work and what you're reading at the moment and then the questions still stem from them issues. I mentioned Handmaid's tale on my PS alone, lol, so I'm guessing their first question will be about books outside sylalbus....

ReputationRep:
    bikerx23, the brown/white bits in my cake are the rare chocolate chips that make it from the packet to the cakes as opposed to my mouth.. :pig:

LondonSteve - for science interviews though - where it's broader principles/knowledge application rather than specific texts i get the impression for some colleges/subjects that quite often there are some stock problems tutors have that they like to try on applicants?

similar i imagine to the English interviews where they give everyone a specific poem/piece of prose, so there's some comparability of answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    bikerx23, the brown/white bits in my cake are the rare chocolate chips that make it from the packet to the cakes as opposed to my mouth.. :pig:
    Thats completely understandable - I had the same problem making a roast yesterday - there was a chicken leg finished before it was all finished being served...

ReputationRep:
    How is George Bush like a monkey?

ReputationRep:
    Or a much harder question, 'how is George Bush not like a monkey?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che_guevara)
    Oh God, you didn't splash out on that scam-guide did you? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    No, but Oxbridge Applications keep trying to force me into going to one of their scamish preparation days, so I get lots of articles and brochures through the post. Apparently it's come up before!

ReputationRep:
    Humanoid
    bipedal
    bilaterally symmetrical
    mammal
    tool-using

etc

ReputationRep:
    Heh, yeah I got that one. They made photocopies of that article in The Times, and shipped it to every single person who signed up as a member to Oxbridge Applications.

Now I wish I hadn't of registered

ReputationRep:
    Here are some old questions from a latex files I had:
    Do birds have faces ?\\
    Would you give a liver transplant to an otherwise healthy 75 year-old woman
    Calculate the average interatomic spacings in the room.\\
    Why do we have two eyes?\\
    Why are they on the front of the head and not on the sides ?\\
    Could there still be a second coming if mankind had disappeared from the planet?
    Give an example of two statements that cant both be true but can be both false, and two statements that cant be both true and cant both be false
    How do you know 2+2=4 in the past?\\
    What is a stream of conciousness? \\
    Don't you agree that shakespeare never existed?\\
    Is it possible to split a Human brain in two and create two identical people?
    Is the Eurovision Song contest an example of living nationalism?\\
    Are people living on the streets mad if they can sing?\\
    If we define fear as 'something that can hurt us', why are we afraid of spiders? \\
    What is the truth?\\
    If you take one grain away from a mound of sand, when does it cease to
    be a mound? \\
    How do you define baldness?\\
    If you were on a dessert island,what book you should take and why?\\
    When is it acceptable for a writing to be boring? \\
    Tell me about a banana\\
    Why don't plants have brains?\\
    How do you define time?\\
    What is the point of Spain?\\
    What does George Bush have in common with a monkey?\\
    Which reaches the bottom of a slope faster, a ball rolling down the slope or a ball sliding down the slope?\\
    Do you think pain is more important than pleasure?\\
    How would you spend 6m improving the NHS?\\
    Does a computer have a conscience?\\
    Does the welfare state trap people into poverty?\\
    How many petrol stations are there in america.\\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rofl)
    Heh, yeah I got that one. They made photocopies of that article in The Times, and shipped it to every single person who signed up as a member to Oxbridge Applications.

Now I wish I hadn't of registered
    I was at the modern languages open day last May and I thought it was like a test to see how loyal you are or something (don't ask ) plus I like filling in forms. It's such a con tho, plus the tutors MUST know who's done it - I mean, OA must train you in a generic kind of way. Who wants to be factory engineered? Not me, thank you very much! Plus it's a rip off for people with too much money. You get all these competitive parents writing in saying, "Dear James, Thanks ever so much for the advice, dear Johnny got into PPE at Merton thanks to you!" Load of crap, if you ask me. If you're meant to get in, you will. No amount of interview preparation, PS writing or secret handshake learning will convince the tutors.

ReputationRep:
    I was at the modern languages open day last May and I thought it was like a test to see how loyal you are or something (don't ask ) plus I like filling in forms. It's such a con tho, plus the tutors MUST know who's done it - I mean, OA must train you in a generic kind of way. Who wants to be factory engineered? Not me, thank you very much! Plus it's a rip off for people with too much money. You get all these competitive parents writing in saying, "Dear James, Thanks ever so much for the advice, dear Johnny got into PPE at Merton thanks to you!" Load of crap, if you ask me. If you're meant to get in, you will. No amount of interview preparation, PS writing or secret handshake learning will convince the tutors.
    It's like £500 for Interview Preparation, and you'll be extremely gutted if you didn't get a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rofl)
    It's like £500 for Interview Preparation, and you'll be extremely gutted if you didn't get a place.
    Imagine wasting that money...disgraceful. They say they boost your chances by 20% or something. Hmm, I bet they boost their prices 20% each year as well.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.