Rook Piercing Question! Watch

CameraGirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hi fellow TSR-ians!

I got my rook pierced (it's in the ear, for those of you who don't know :P), and while healing it's developed quite a large lump on the inner side of it, which is quite hard to get to as i have small ears haha.

i know this is normal and happens often with cartilage piercings, and there's nothing else nasty going on, it seems all healed other than that.

i was wondering if anyone else has had this, and has a good an effective way of getting rid of it? also how long did it take to completely get rid of?

i've only had the piercing 2 and a half months so can't change the earring really, plus it's a ring with a little ball in it which i find impossible to use XD

i clean it twice a day with savlon which tends to dry it out but other than that doesnt have much effect now it's healed

any suggestions would be very much appreciated (within reason!)

i just want it to look pretty again it's not hugely noticeable i think, but hard to tell because of where it is, it's hard for me to see!

xx
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rings are crap for healing with. Go to your piercer and get it changed to a curved barbell.

Stop the Savlon and start doing hot sea salt soaks - one or two a day, using 1/4 teaspoon salt to 250ml boiled water. Chamomile tea bag compresses are often helpful for bumps, too. Your piercing isn't healed yet and won't be fully healed for some time! Cartilage can take 6-12 months to fully heal.
wasting-time
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used tea tree oil to get rid of a similar lump and that worked fairly quickly (within a week)
myblueheaven339
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CameraGirl)
any suggestions would be very much appreciated (within reason!)
I had a similar bump on a cartilage piercing, and I used tea tree oil to get rid of it. Small drop on a cotton bud applied to the bump twice a day for two to three weeks did the trick for me. The tea tree oil drew out the fluid and dried up the bump, it did go really dry though but that was sorted as soon as I stopped applying the oil.

Another option is surgical spirit, applied in a similar way, which my sister swears by for this sort of thing.

good luck x
CameraGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kate.)
Rings are crap for healing with. Go to your piercer and get it changed to a curved barbell.

Stop the Savlon and start doing hot sea salt soaks - one or two a day, using 1/4 teaspoon salt to 250ml boiled water. Chamomile tea bag compresses are often helpful for bumps, too. Your piercing isn't healed yet and won't be fully healed for some time! Cartilage can take 6-12 months to fully heal.
yeah i heard not to use rings, but after i had it done also had a ring in helix and tragus so assumed it would be fine haha. i have a couple of curved barbells that i was going to have for my tragus but they were too big, i'm worried that i'll do mor e damage than good if i change it though

yeah i know it's not fully healed, just it's past the painy weepy stage now so it's definitely getting there! thanks i'll try that

(Original post by tgarrud)
I used tea tree oil to get rid of a similar lump and that worked fairly quickly (within a week)
a week! haha, i may well give that a go for a little while then, and if not have a go at using the sea salt/chamomile tea thank you!

(Original post by myblueheaven339)
I had a similar bump on a cartilage piercing, and I used tea tree oil to get rid of it. Small drop on a cotton bud applied to the bump twice a day for two to three weeks did the trick for me. The tea tree oil drew out the fluid and dried up the bump, it did go really dry though but that was sorted as soon as I stopped applying the oil.

Another option is surgical spirit, applied in a similar way, which my sister swears by for this sort of thing.

good luck x

thanks looks like tea tree oil may well be worth a try then! i'll go grab some tomorrow. thanks for your help, glad to know it is definitely possible to get rid of it haha x
Kate.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CameraGirl)
yeah i heard not to use rings, but after i had it done also had a ring in helix and tragus so assumed it would be fine haha. i have a couple of curved barbells that i was going to have for my tragus but they were too big, i'm worried that i'll do mor e damage than good if i change it though

yeah i know it's not fully healed, just it's past the painy weepy stage now so it's definitely getting there! thanks i'll try that

a week! haha, i may well give that a go for a little while then, and if not have a go at using the sea salt/chamomile tea thank you!

thanks looks like tea tree oil may well be worth a try then! i'll go grab some tomorrow. thanks for your help, glad to know it is definitely possible to get rid of it haha x
That's why I said not to change it yourself - go to a piercer, it'll be much easier than you doing it yourself, and you'll also know that the jewellery is sterile, high quality and a suitable length. Tea tree oil can work for some bumps, sometimes, but be aware that it is incredibly harsh and can irritate your piercing even more. Plus, if the source of the irritation (in your case, most likely the jewellery) isn't solved then it's fairly likely that the bump will return. I'd definitely suggest a jewellery change & the more gentle methods of sea salt soaks and chamomile compresses before resorting to tea tree oil! Up to you though, obviously!
CameraGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kate.)
That's why I said not to change it yourself - go to a piercer, it'll be much easier than you doing it yourself, and you'll also know that the jewellery is sterile, high quality and a suitable length. Tea tree oil can work for some bumps, sometimes, but be aware that it is incredibly harsh and can irritate your piercing even more. Plus, if the source of the irritation (in your case, most likely the jewellery) isn't solved then it's fairly likely that the bump will return. I'd definitely suggest a jewellery change & the more gentle methods of sea salt soaks and chamomile compresses before resorting to tea tree oil! Up to you though, obviously!
ok haha, it's hard to know who to listen to on here, i've heard the chamomile thing before but was rather dubious lol. i might stock up on everything, and start with the tea tree oil but if it irritates my skin then stop and use another method. it's starting to bug me so keen to get rid of it. think i will go in to see my piercer and see what he recommends with regards to the earring i know that when my helix got a tiny tiny bump on it, it disappeared when i changed the earring, but that one never bothered me anyway as it wasnt noticeable. thanks for your help i never thought it might be the actual earring that was the problem but now i think about it, it seams plausible!
stargirl2012
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kate.)

I second this.

Savlon seems a very weird thing to put on peircings as it would clog it up and prevent healing rather than help it, have you been told to put it on all others? :eek:

Go to the piercer and a)get it changed b) find out whether it's actually a keloid bump or just hypertronic (sp??) scarring which is easier to deal with- tea tree and a change of jewellery should sort it. If it is a keloid forming which is unlikely, start with vitamin e oil for a few days then talk to the peircer again

Rook peircings do take a long time to full heal though and often flare up after the healing period-I've had mine for 18 months and it occasionally goes a bit red and sore with some lymph stuff coming out.

Good luck and no more savlon :P
myblueheaven339
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by clementinemary)
n

Rook peircings do take a long time to full heal though and often flare up after the healing period-I've had mine for 18 months and it occasionally goes a bit red and sore with some lymph stuff coming out.
I agree, I think my Rook was swollen for about 18 months, and it was sore for ages too. When it finally healed it looked so different because I had been used to it being so swollen all the time.
stargirl2012
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree, I think my Rook was swollen for about 18 months, and it was sore for ages too. When it finally healed it looked so different because I had been used to it being so swollen all the time.
Mine never swelled up..it just got kind of manky and irritated upon occasional I think they're just a difficult piercing to heal full stop and often migrate/can be peirced badly easily if that makes sense. I guess you just have to patient lol, it's such a nice peircing in the end and so worth it. do you wear a ring or barbell in yours?
myblueheaven339
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by clementinemary)
Mine never swelled up..it just got kind of manky and irritated upon occasional I think they're just a difficult piercing to heal full stop and often migrate/can be peirced badly easily if that makes sense. I guess you just have to patient lol, it's such a nice peircing in the end and so worth it. do you wear a ring or barbell in yours?
I wear a barbell. I tried a ring but the curvature of the ring didn't sit very comfortably as I had it pierced with a barbell. I think a larger one would have been more comfortable but I decided to stick with the barbell.
stargirl2012
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wear a barbell. I tried a ring but the curvature of the ring didn't sit very comfortably as I had it pierced with a barbell. I think a larger one would have been more comfortable but I decided to stick with the barbell.
Ah, I had it pierced with a barbell but with the intention of putting a ring in when it healed (which i did after about 6 months so perhaps the op should wait a little longer?) so it looked awkward with a barbell but better with a ring. A larger gauge or diameter? Mine is actually pretty big, it could be a lip ring lol.
Nonamelol
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My barbell isn't very long for my rook, I've had my rook pierced for 10 days now it's not swollen I don't think however it is quite saw and a little red, any suggestions? I am also cleaning it with hot boiled water and sea salt twice a day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.69%
No - but I will (100)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (622)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise