How do I explain why I have no friends? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've gone out with a girl a couple of times and we seem to be getting on well. But I'm concerned about the fact that I have no friends, and she will think I'm some kind of freak.

I have a fair few old friends, people I'm quite close with but see only a couple of times a year because they're from home or have moved away. But round here I literally have no friends, I resat a year and was too awkward to make the effort with my new peers (which I regret), and everyone else I knew has either graduated and moved or dropped out of uni. The only other people I see are at work and they are by and large in their 40's, and the few people my age I have jack all in common with.

This will come up eventually, what do I do/say?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've gone out with a girl a couple of times and we seem to be getting on well. But I'm concerned about the fact that I have no friends, and she will think I'm some kind of freak.

I have a fair few old friends, people I'm quite close with but see only a couple of times a year because they're from home or have moved away. But round here I literally have no friends, I resat a year and was too awkward to make the effort with my new peers (which I regret), and everyone else I knew has either graduated and moved or dropped out of uni. The only other people I see are at work and they are by and large in their 40's, and the few people my age I have jack all in common with.

Also: Anon or Delete please.
wasteman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OUCH
member520746
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That sounds like an alright explanation to me.
ButterflyWishes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
awkward. just say you havent really had the chance to meet people in uni, because you've been too busy with uni work. Or try make some friends now? never too late
.Gosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm, well if you explain to her your situation I'm sure she won't dump you, if she did she's not worth it!
DLJ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Well, you could always say that you're great friends with Imsoacademic?
screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just say the classic "I prefer to have a few really close friends than dozens of acquaintances"
NaturalDisaster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One of my best friends's boyfriends doesn't have a lot of friends, he dropped out of school and then went to college but he didn't really want to make friends with the people there, but she absolutely adores him. It doesn't matter to her at all. If this girl really likes you, she won't care either.
jemadore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tell her what u just said
jemadore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DLJ)
What is with the imsoacademic jokes? explain please
Arekkusu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh dear God, you're getting a girlfriend but you have no friends at the moment. This is gonna end in tears.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ButterflyWishes)
awkward. just say you havent really had the chance to meet people in uni, because you've been too busy with uni work. Or try make some friends now? never too late
I'm working on it (or I will be after I finish uni), but this seems like something that could be an upcoming problem.
(Original post by DLJ)
That doesn't work as well in the real world as it does here.
(Original post by screenager2004)
Just say the classic "I prefer to have a few really close friends than dozens of acquaintances"
Technically I really do, but the problem is I have no close friends at the moment.

(Original post by Arekkusu)
Oh dear God, you're getting a girlfriend but you have no friends at the moment. This is gonna end in tears.
Yup, **** creek isn't as much fun as I was led to believe before I paddled up here.
DLJ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jemadore)
What is with the imsoacademic jokes? explain please
Words cannot explain imsoacademic. Imsoacademic holds not gender, no age, no frills. Imsoacademic floats in and out of threads in TSR, posting her very subjective, pretentious and obnoxious posts at will- often to people who go to London South Bank...

But really, she's a 13 year old girl who hasn't even seen anything of life yet, only what she can read from her computer screen...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (302)
37.47%
No - but I will (61)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (60)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (383)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed