Let Down Band Members Watch

sebsy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically,

I'm in a band. We entered Surfaced Festival, a battle-of-the-bands style european competition. Wednesday we played in the first round and booked our place into the second round.

Now after confirming our place in the second round, our vocalist has left us this message on the band page: "Hi Guys, we're not playing the next round, I have an exam the next day and mum and dad say I cant go".

We're all pissed off. He's 18 and his parents say he can't go. We all feel let down and now it looks like were splitting up as a band after nearly 5 years following him arguing that he needs to get 3 As to get into uni, well the rest of us need the same grades and out of all of us he's the one who if he didn't get in this year would actually be able to afford to pay next years fees.

We're also annoyed it's him, as many of our rehearsals etc. have had to be cancelled because he's seeing his girlfriend, got other things on, that always seem to appear at the last minute.

Are we being stupid in thinking he's being selfish? Or does he really have a point?

Baring in mind his biggest argument is that we have exams the next day, and he has been revising non-stop for like the last 2 months already and the rest of us have barely started.
jonski
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get rid of him, if his parents arent happy that he wants to go the day before an exam they definitely wont be happy at all the drugs and slutty groupies your gonna get when your famous
The Procrastinator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ergh if only it was a drummer you needed....I'm your girl! If you guys get famous he will be kicking himself to kingdom come.
sebsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Procrastinator)
Ergh if only it was a drummer you needed....I'm your girl! If you guys get famous he will be kicking himself to kingdom come.
Ha. Unfortunately for you, our drummer does nothing but the band and work in a garden centre (proper manly job). So I don't think the position of drummer is likely to come up soon.

Although, in the likelyhood, I will be looking for a band at uni (most probably), so that position might be there
eLECTROLOSIS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sebsy)
Basically,

I'm in a band. We entered Surfaced Festival, a battle-of-the-bands style european competition. Wednesday we played in the first round and booked our place into the second round.

Now after confirming our place in the second round, our vocalist has left us this message on the band page: "Hi Guys, we're not playing the next round, I have an exam the next day and mum and dad say I cant go".

We're all pissed off. He's 18 and his parents say he can't go. We all feel let down and now it looks like were splitting up as a band after nearly 5 years following him arguing that he needs to get 3 As to get into uni, well the rest of us need the same grades and out of all of us he's the one who if he didn't get in this year would actually be able to afford to pay next years fees.

We're also annoyed it's him, as many of our rehearsals etc. have had to be cancelled because he's seeing his girlfriend, got other things on, that always seem to appear at the last minute.

Are we being stupid in thinking he's being selfish? Or does he really have a point?

Baring in mind his biggest argument is that we have exams the next day, and he has been revising non-stop for like the last 2 months already and the rest of us have barely started.
Kick him out and kick out anyone else that isn't willing to work hard.
Guitarded
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lack of commitment from members is a constant problem when trying to get bands going. A levels are important, but as long as it's not going to directly interfere with the exam then whats the problem? As for seeing his girlfriend etc... theres nothing wrong with that, but not if he wants to be serious about the band as well. Basically I'd tell him to sort himself out and get serious about the band, or he's out

Best to do it in the most civilized manner possible though, or he may go spreading **** about you, which could make it hard to work with other people/other bands.
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get another vocalist?
Or only do instrumental songs - if your good enough musicians you can easily pull off an entirely instrumental set.
sebsy
Rep:
?
Cheers guys, in the end we have decided to call it a day as of Saturday after one last gig. Hopefully ill join a new band at uni and then we'll we how it goes from there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (378)
37.31%
No - but I will (77)
7.6%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (487)
48.08%

Watched Threads