Bristol or St. Andrews? Watch

backintime
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey,

I'm struggling to decide between Bristol and St. Andrews as my insurance choice for Maths & Philosophy this year (Warwick is my firm, and it's quite a tough offer). They're both AAA offers, which I've basically achieved already. Which one is better for maths and has better job prospects would you say? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Intriguing Alias
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As far as I know Bristol is meant to be much better for maths & job prospects in maths.

I don't have first hand experience of either but that's what I understand of their reputations - Bristol is meant to be very strong in maths.
While the original string for the top Maths unis in the UK was COWI (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial) it has now began to be adopted to COWIB (including Bristol). So it is one of the top 5 unis for maths in the country
simon-leeds
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The latest league table has St Andrews one place above Bristol, so it seems fairly neck and neck.
alexs2602
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by simon-leeds)
The latest league table has St Andrews one place above Bristol, so it seems fairly neck and neck.
League tables are flawed.
simon-leeds
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alexs2602)
League tables are flawed.
Very true, but they are the best measure we have. The B might have been for Bath, they've been in the top 5 seemingly for a while.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm using Bristol as insurance after Warwick
Mr. Roxas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bristol has the stronger maths program and has a better employment career placement for their graduates, but I think I'd personally go for St Andrews if I were to make my own decision, due to a more laid back university atmosphere.

This is just a personal thing, obviously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads