The Student Room Group

Bristol or St. Andrews?

Hey,

I'm struggling to decide between Bristol and St. Andrews as my insurance choice for Maths & Philosophy this year (Warwick is my firm, and it's quite a tough offer). They're both AAA offers, which I've basically achieved already. Which one is better for maths and has better job prospects would you say? Any advice would be much appreciated. :smile:
As far as I know Bristol is meant to be much better for maths & job prospects in maths.

I don't have first hand experience of either but that's what I understand of their reputations - Bristol is meant to be very strong in maths.
While the original string for the top Maths unis in the UK was COWI (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial) it has now began to be adopted to COWIB (including Bristol). So it is one of the top 5 unis for maths in the country :smile:
Reply 2
The latest league table has St Andrews one place above Bristol, so it seems fairly neck and neck.
Reply 3
Original post by simon-leeds
The latest league table has St Andrews one place above Bristol, so it seems fairly neck and neck.

League tables are flawed.
Reply 4
Original post by alexs2602
League tables are flawed.

Very true, but they are the best measure we have. The B might have been for Bath, they've been in the top 5 seemingly for a while.
I'm using Bristol as insurance after Warwick :biggrin:
Reply 6
Bristol has the stronger maths program and has a better employment career placement for their graduates, but I think I'd personally go for St Andrews if I were to make my own decision, due to a more laid back university atmosphere.

This is just a personal thing, obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest