Ka or 106 Watch

Coloccini2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'm after a small, cheap car that will be cheap to insure. I have about £1000 to spend give or take. The best 2 I have found imo are this Ford Ka and Peugout 106, Both £800. The 106 is a v-car and the guy said cat d but online it says cat-d. I understand this shouldn't effect the insurance but how wary of this should i be. I don't know anything about cars, is it worth getting them checked out or just test drive them and just go for it. Which one of these do you think is the best deal. I think maybe the Ka is a better deal but i like the 106 more and it's cheaper to insure (slightly) I'm just wary of it having been in an accident although the guy assured me it had just been bumped and I know there may be nothing wrong with it.
Coloccini2
Rep:
?
http://www.fish4.co.uk/cars/advert?o...&maxResults=48
Coloccini2
Rep:
?
http://www.fish4.co.uk/cars/advert?o...&maxResults=48
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does your £1000 include paying for the insurance? Your profile says you are 19, you'd be doing well just to get the insurance for that amount, never mind a car as well.
Coloccini2
Rep:
?
No, £1000 for a car and hopefully about £1100 to insure.
Potally_Tissed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OK, that's manageable then.

Out of the two I'd probably have the Ka, just not that particular Ka. Surely you can find an equivalent car that's not been in an accident?
thenextmarypoppins
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ive got a ford ka that ive had for about 3 years, its a W reg and i absolutely love it the only thing i would say is that when it comes round to your MOT it could be quite expensive as a "common fault" with this make/model is that its really prone to rust on the bottom of the car and once they get to a certain age they need a load of welding every year no matter how well you try and look after them. that said, i dont know if the 106 would be the same but this is what ive found personally with the ford ka and another problem is that not many places actually do welding on cars now (not in my area anyway) so it can be really hard to find someone willing to do it and also quite expensive, ie. £200 a time plus anything else that might be wrong with your car. my advice would be to check the usual areas for rust, mainly look at the sills (bottom of the car on the sides) and around the doors and the petrol cap, should probably be a good indicator of what the rusts like underneath!

i hope i havent put you off too much

apart from what ive said i really do love my car, its cheap to insure, cheap to run, no other problems apart from this, ill be really sad when i have to get rid of it in june its lasted me 3 years which considering it had done 92k miles and cost £800 when i bought it i dont think its half bad really!

if you have any other questions just ask

edit: just noticed the ads you've put up are from dealers in C-L-S, im from Darlington i dont suppose you wanna buy mine do you?? especially after ive just told you all about the rust haha, oh well....
Tba90
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Test drive one before you make any decisions
Coloccini2
Rep:
?
Thanks, there's not a lot of choice tbh, why not this Ka?

MaryPoppins, thanks but I'm looking for something slightly newer and yeah you've kind of put me off.
Atrixa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, out of the two, the Peugeot has the lower mileage. I'm sure you can find a better Ka than that one though- I recently bought a 2001 Ka from an ebay seller without any problems.
Coloccini2
Rep:
?
Well the Ka has been sold but I didn't really want it and I've decided against the 106 as there was no documentation on the accident and repair work.

I'm now looking at this although when I looked at it it was on sale for £1200 so I don't know how much they want but if it's £999 it seems decent value?

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uvl...149&distance=0

Also, anyone know how much someone might get for an 04 Clio as part-ex. Don't have the details but an educated guess would be appreciated.
Flibbles
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Coloccini2)
Well the Ka has been sold but I didn't really want it and I've decided against the 106 as there was no documentation on the accident and repair work.

I'm now looking at this although when I looked at it it was on sale for £1200 so I don't know how much they want but if it's £999 it seems decent value?

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uvl...149&distance=0

Also, anyone know how much someone might get for an 04 Clio as part-ex. Don't have the details but an educated guess would be appreciated.
I wouldn't go for that Micra as the mileage is way too high for a city car.. it has likely led a hard life. If that mileage were from a mid-sized car I wouldn't be too worried as its probably done more long trips but in a 1.0l? Avoid. Go for something a few years older but has half that mileage.

As for the Clio, pop on here http://www.motoring.co.uk/free-car-valuation and enter its details. It was a little optimistic for me (added £400 to the value of my car which is worth around £2400) so keep that in mind.
Firelight670
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Out of the two, I, personally, would chose the 106 for sure.
pyuicd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The 106 would have been a bad choice, obviously been ragged by some young driver and crashed. Equally the Ka wasn't that great.

The micra isn't too bad actually, it has only done average mileage per year for its age. They are pretty bulletproof and reliable. If it comes with decent service history and sensible number of owners (3 or less) go for it.

Give it a good inspection first, all the body work and interior. Hear it running see if it sounds healthy, test drive if poss. Also get at least £100 off the price, not-haggling is for muppets. I say hit them with £800 and see where it goes.
Coloccini2
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice. Went for the Micra, got it for a grand and it will have 12 months MOT as they're putting it through this week. Quite happy but who knows. Bit of a risk with any older car i think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (517)
37.63%
No - but I will (107)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (94)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise