Best sportsman? Watch

MC armani
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I mean 'best sportsman' in terms of sporting attitude. Obviously these people will be somewhere near the top of their sport as well, but I'm asking who exhibits the best sportsmanship?

For me, Sachin Tendulkar and Rafa Nadal.
KNOB-head
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
has to be imran khan or wasim akram.

im not being funny but tendulkar is crap, he's a flat track bully. ponting, lara, and inzamam were much better than that midget.
MC armani
Rep:
?
(Original post by KNOB-head)
has to be imran khan or wasim akram.

im not being funny but tendulkar is crap, he's a flat track bully. ponting, lara, and inzamam were much better than that midget.
Don't tell me, you're Pakistani. You had to be racist about it didn't you. It's like how Shoaib Akhtar said, when asked who was the greatest batsman of the modern era, that it was Lara, even though Sachin hammers Akhtar every time they play. It's just racism; you know Tendulkar's the best (and there are hundreds of stats, players and pundits who'll attest that) and the most humble at the same time (again, hundreds of players and commentators will agree).

Imran and Wasim are fantastic sports and great ambassadors for the game because they don't stoop to this petty rivalry. It's a shame you can't aspire to be like them.
KNOB-head
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MC armani)
Don't tell me, you're Pakistani. You had to be racist about it didn't you. It's like how Shoaib Akhtar said, when asked who was the greatest batsman of the modern era, that it was Lara, even though Sachin hammers Akhtar every time they play. It's just racism; you know Tendulkar's the best (and there are hundreds of stats, players and pundits who'll attest that) and the most humble at the same time (again, hundreds of players and commentators will agree).

Imran and Wasim are fantastic sports and great ambassadors for the game because they don't stoop to this petty rivalry. It's a shame you can't aspire to be like them.
tendulkar batting on a pitch with grass on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scwtTaEo43U

if indians weren't such pussies and prepared greener wickets, tendulkar would be polishing boots in mumbai. ponting and lara were far greater players.
sucess
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
drogba, ashley cole, federer, joe rococo
iainthegreat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nadal
MC armani
Rep:
?
(Original post by KNOB-head)
tendulkar batting on a pitch with grass on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scwtTaEo43U

if indians weren't such pussies and prepared greener wickets, tendulkar would be polishing boots in mumbai. ponting and lara were far greater players.
So Tendulkar got out on a green wicket. He must be the only batsman to have done that...

Don't criticise India for preparing dry pitches, it's part of the climate. At least they are suitable for cricket unlike your parched dusty filth bowls that you surreptitiously scratch up during the match (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O6oSDpdNBc)

Akhtar's on roids and drugs anyway, so he doesn't really fit into a discussion on 'best sportsmen'.

You hypocrite, Ponting bats on nice, hard, bouncy australian wickets and he STILL hasn't got as many runs as Sachin. The guy's a genius and you know it.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dennis Irwin!
sc0307
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Roger federer
Crasky92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest batsmen of his era, to have a career that has stretched for over 21 years and to still be scoring hundreds and making it look easy? Lara was amazing at times, scoring 400* is an amazing achievement, but to then average less than Tendulkar shows he had less consistancy!

Also in terms of greatest sportsman? Tendulkars sitting pretty at number 3.

1. Jerry Rice - Nobody can doubt the things this man achieved, the records he holds is amazing.
2. Michael Jordan - A true sporting icon and the first 'superstar' - he revolutionised sports, not just Basketball.
3. Tendulkar for the reasons above - amazing career and showing no signs of deteriations - class act on and off the field and a personal hero of mine.
4. Lance Armstrong - There is no man greater to look up too, he simply is the greatest sporting role model of all. It shows how you can overcome anything and still succeed.
5. Roger Federer - 16 Major titles in one of the greatest tennis eras with one of the greatest rivalries of our time, the mans a class act and true gent. Nadal is however hot on his heels, the next few years will be interesting in terms of where they will both end up on this list.

There are sporting greats in so many different fields, its impossible to argue with the credentials of people such as Ali, Bradman, Pacquiao, Tiger Woods, Pele, Maradona, Joe Montana, Lawrence Taylor, Babe ruth, Gretzky, Bolt, Jessie Owens, Haile Gebrselassie, Phelps, Spitz, Samprass, Phil Taylor, Muttiah Muralitharan, Michael Shumacher, Sugar Ray Robinson, Steve Redgrave or Marion Tinsley - if Checkers counts??

But there are so many icons, it's completely opinion and all of these men and many more deserve to be mentioned! they've all influenced the lives of people as role models and thats what also makes them great!
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Probably some guy we've never heard of. You don't get to be the best without a ruthless streak.
johno090
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Phil Taylor. Can be argued that he's not a sportsman but to consistently be at the very top of his profession for over 20 years is an unrivaled achievement as far as I am aware. To still have the desire and determination to win after that long at the top is truly amazing no matter what you think of the game.
MC armani
Rep:
?
(Original post by johno090)
Phil Taylor. Can be argued that he's not a sportsman but to consistently be at the very top of his profession for over 20 years is an unrivaled achievement as far as I am aware. To still have the desire and determination to win after that long at the top is truly amazing no matter what you think of the game.
Tendulkar (certainly) and Warne (almost).
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, I'm a cricket fan, but no cricketer can compare to Taylor in terms of dominance over every other player. It's like Tendulkar scoring a double ton in every innings for 20 years.
LethalBizzle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gary Lineker. 500+ games of professional football, not a single yellow card.
Crasky92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes you could say them, but like I said - Jerry Rice played 19 seasons as a Wide Receiver in a game where players are constantly battered, this is more of a strain on the human body than playing 5 days of Cricket.

Also Brett Favre - One of the greatest Quarterbacks of all time has just finished his 19th season and he's 41 years old...

Being dominant over a long period of time does play a huge role, however certain sports can't be dominated at older ages, something like darts can, there's little which can affect your performance with age.

Cricket for instance is affected by age and long careers, your reflexes and reactions slow down showing how Tendulkar is still so amazing at this age and length of time. But Cricket for 20 years compared to American football for 20 years? It's not as impressive, playing for 20 years in a position where you received big hits every game is like playing 30 years of test cricket. That's why Jerry Rice who was named in the NFL team of the decade for both 1980's and 90's is the greatest sportsman of all time.
warwickorbristol
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Josh Naylor had an exceptional attitude.

(Original post by Crasky92)
4. Lance Armstrong - There is no man greater to look up too, he simply is the greatest sporting role model of all. It shows how you can overcome anything and still succeed.
With the quality and quantity of drugs he had sure.
Kieren Doodle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
its gotta be messi the man man surely he is a brilliant sportsman well deserving of his hard work.
MC armani
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crasky92)
Yes you could say them, but like I said - Jerry Rice played 19 seasons as a Wide Receiver in a game where players are constantly battered, this is more of a strain on the human body than playing 5 days of Cricket.

Also Brett Favre - One of the greatest Quarterbacks of all time has just finished his 19th season and he's 41 years old...

Being dominant over a long period of time does play a huge role, however certain sports can't be dominated at older ages, something like darts can, there's little which can affect your performance with age.

Cricket for instance is affected by age and long careers, your reflexes and reactions slow down showing how Tendulkar is still so amazing at this age and length of time. But Cricket for 20 years compared to American football for 20 years? It's not as impressive, playing for 20 years in a position where you received big hits every game is like playing 30 years of test cricket. That's why Jerry Rice who was named in the NFL team of the decade for both 1980's and 90's is the greatest sportsman of all time.
Sounds very impressive. I know how brutal the NFL is but I'll concede that I know very little about it.
Kieren Doodle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
messi been the glue that holds barca's wins
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (467)
38.06%
No - but I will (95)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (578)
47.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed