Student from Vancouver, B.C. interested in attending post-secondary in the UK Watch

cookiesandcremeful
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello, i'm new to TSR!

I am currently in grade 11 and taking grade 12 courses such as History 12, Law 12, Bio 12 and AP english. I am planning to retake law and use it for admission. As for next year, I am planning to take courses such as Geology 12, Chemistry 12 and French 12. I go to a semester school, which means these courses will be completed by the end of January. Should I choose to take the provincial, the final blended mark of those courses should be out by February. However, I am aware of the January 15th deadline set by UCAS. I know that international students have until June 30th to apply but that sounds way too late for me :/ is it possible to apply to UCAS for LSE, UCL and QMUL before I know my final marks? (Here in B.C. we apply in April and self-report our second semester midterms).

Also, I was wondering if UK universities look at repeated courses? If yes, do they average both marks? If i choose to take an optional grade 12 provincial exam, will they take my school mark/blended mark/whichever mark is higher? Also, I was wondering if they consider courses taken online? Is there anything wrong if I do not take the optional AP exam (if i get less than 4/6 it's useless anyways right?) Thank you so much for reading

OH one more thing - is it okay if I apply to LLB with AP english, law 12, chemistry 12, geology 12 and french 12? My math mark is HORRIBLE and I absolutely do not want to apply to university with it. And I see on the websites that an average of 85% is required but I am sure it is waaaaay higher . If I work for 90%+ should I be okay? THANK YOU!
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cookiesandcremeful)
Hello, i'm new to TSR!

I am currently in grade 11 and taking grade 12 courses such as History 12, Law 12, Bio 12 and AP english. I am planning to retake law and use it for admission. As for next year, I am planning to take courses such as Geology 12, Chemistry 12 and French 12. I go to a semester school, which means these courses will be completed by the end of January. Should I choose to take the provincial, the final blended mark of those courses should be out by February. However, I am aware of the January 15th deadline set by UCAS. I know that international students have until June 30th to apply but that sounds way too late for me :/ is it possible to apply to UCAS for LSE, UCL and QMUL before I know mu final marks? (Here in B.C. we apply in April and self-report our second semester midterms).
Most UK students apply before getting their final marks, its perfectly normal in the UK.

The universities would give you a conditional offer on the basis of getting certain marks in your exams. Then, when you had the results you would need to contact the universities, send them your official transcripts, and they will verify that you have met their offer. This will then make the offer unconditional.

Also, I was wondering if UK universities look at repeated courses? If yes, do they average both marks? If i choose to take an optional grade 12 provincial exam, will they take my school mark/blended mark/whichever mark is higher? Also, I was wondering if they consider courses taken online? Is there anything wrong if I do not take the optional AP exam (if i get less than 4/6 it's useless anyways right?) Thank you so much for reading
With British qualifications, they do not take kindly to retakes. The top level universities (ie: the London ones) will use the fact students are retaking as something which will count against them, as obviously, they will prefer the people who got the right grades the first time around. On your UCAS form you need to include all of the exam grades you have, meaning they will know you have taken the exam twice. With UK qualifications, they will generally look at the most recent grade as one would expect you'd improved with a resit. However, you will need to contact the international student admissions offices with regards to your qualifications, as I do not understand the Canadian system to tell you, sorry.

OH one more thing - is it okay if I apply to LLB with AP english, law 12, chemistry 12, geology 12 and french 12? My math mark is HORRIBLE and I absolutely do not want to apply to university with it. And I see on the websites that an average of 85% is required but I am sure it is waaaaay higher . If I wo for 90%+ should I be okay? THANK YOU!
Your maths grade will need to be on the application. Most universities have general entrance requirements which includes maths (normally, English, maths and a science then sometimes (UCL included) they want a foreign language) meaning if you do not show any evidence of your maths abilities, they may well reject you on the basis of this. If these AP grades are higher than the minimum Canadian entry requirements for the LLB courses, then yes, those grades will be fine. As you'll probably know, meeting the basic entry requirements only means your application will be looked at in more detail as you're over the first hurdle (with thousands of others) but it doesn't guarantee an offer.
cookiesandcremeful
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Oh okay, thank you so much for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads