First Year Undergrad , Best choice accommodation in Aberdeen Uni ? Watch

julieannenik
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey everybody there !
I'll be doing IR and Politics at Aberdeen this September..my main concern is choosing the right accommodation though..I wonder whats the best choice for an international undergrad student,...Most of all id like to be situated in a building where other undergrad students live , .... I would appreciate any opinions
P.S Are there any mixed houses ?
69Crazyfists
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by julieannenik)
Hey everybody there !
I'll be doing IR and Politics at Aberdeen this September..my main concern is choosing the right accommodation though..I wonder whats the best choice for an international undergrad student,...Most of all id like to be situated in a building where other undergrad students live , .... I would appreciate any opinions
You should start here
julieannenik
Rep:
?
(Original post by 69Crazyfists)
You should start here
Thanks a lot ! I already had a look ..Do you know which one of those are chosen by the majority of first year students? And if they are all single sex?
69Crazyfists
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks a lot ! I already had a look ..Do you know which one of those are chosen by the majority of first year students? And if they are all single sex?
I gather that pretty much all of Hillhead is single sex flats/floors. That's where the majority of students go. I think the campus halls are unisex though.
AlexLouren
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm a current student at the Uni of Aberdeen. So, a bit about the accommodation.

The university guarantees that there are enough places for all the first year students in the Halls.
Hillhead Halls aka. the student village is a place surrounded by walls, where CCTV is in operation 24/7. There are laundry areas, a small bar, cash machine, games hall where you can play table tennis, basket or maritial arts, a shop which is a bit expensive but is literally in front of your door and Quizmat for all those mad about duner, kebap and the rest of the indian food.

The positives of Hillhead Halls are:
it's well secured by CCTV and security guards
most of the first graders are here
during the freshers' week you'll have the best parties in here
it's close to Uni, especially if you walk through Seaton park which is nearby
bus No. 20 comes on every 30 minutes - it passes by the University and goes to the center.
LIDL is really close to the Halls.
You have a cleaner coming to tidy up the kitchen and other communal areas ones on every two weeks
Not paying the bills and the Internet cause they are included in the rent
Plenty of parking places

The negatives are:
because of the security, fire-alarm trainings and all the pros, the accommodation is more expensive than it is in private halls [although Aberdeen is one of the cities famous for the most expensive flats and houses under rent!]
You'll most probably have to share a flat with 5 other people [Hector Boece, Esslemont, New Carnegie] or live on the same floor with many others [Fyfe House] Unless you are at New Carnegie, you may end up a bit disappointed from the conditions in the rooms - e.g. old furnutire. But this is freedom after all, and it's not a 4-star hotel!

Well, my advice is... if you already know a current student here, you can very well get informed if they can offer you a room to rent in their sharehold. NEVER trust websites as these are full of skimmers! Well, maybe the student accommodation provided by the Uni is the best option after all... at least until you stop feeling like a fish out of water.

My room at Hector Boece Court

http://img687.imageshack.us/i/596571...824817100.jpg/
AlexLouren
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just a quick note: all the flats are the same-sex ones. In Hector boece all the first floors are with boys, second and third may be either boys or girls.
It counts for all other buildings.
No mixing up, sorry :P
username356927
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AlexLouren)
Hey everyone, I'm a current student at the Uni of Aberdeen. So, a bit about the accommodation.

The university guarantees that there are enough places for all the first year students in the Halls.
Hillhead Halls aka. the student village is a place surrounded by walls, where CCTV is in operation 24/7. There are laundry areas, a small bar, cash machine, games hall where you can play table tennis, basket or maritial arts, a shop which is a bit expensive but is literally in front of your door and Quizmat for all those mad about duner, kebap and the rest of the indian food.

bus No. 20 comes on every 30 minutes - it passes by the University and goes to the center.
You have a cleaner coming to tidy up the kitchen and other communal areas ones on every two weeks
Plenty of parking places

The negatives are:
because of the security, fire-alarm trainings and all the pros, the accommodation is more expensive than it is in private halls [although Aberdeen is one of the cities famous for the most expensive flats and houses under rent!]
You'll most probably have to share a flat with 5 other people [Hector Boece, Esslemont, New Carnegie] or live on the same floor with many others [Fyfe House] Unless you are at New Carnegie, you may end up a bit disappointed from the conditions in the rooms - e.g. old furnutire. But this is freedom after all, and it's not a 4-star hotel!

Well, my advice is... if you already know a current student here, you can very well get informed if they can offer you a room to rent in their sharehold. NEVER trust websites as these are full of skimmers! Well, maybe the student accommodation provided by the Uni is the best option after all... at least until you stop feeling like a fish out of water.

New Carnegie FTW
julieannenik
Rep:
?
Just a quick note: all the flats are the same-sex ones. In Hector boece all the first floors are with boys, second and third may be either boys or girls.
It counts for all other buildings.
No mixing up, sorry :P
Woa Thanks a lot ! And do you know if rooms in Wavell House look similar to those in Hector B. ?
Kirsteneg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey everybody there !
New Carnegie Court is the most sought after accommodation, and they're pretty snazzy! Hillhead has the highest student population so I'd personally go for that.
sigurros
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
people seem to be replying in here, so.

"you know, on the aberdeen website, the pictures for Esslemont, Burnett House, Keith House and Hector Boece Court all look the same. the only thing different is the price... so, really... what makes them different from one another?

is esslemont still the cheapest one? "

i posted that elsewhere with no replies.
soulmeetsbody
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
@sigurros: I am currently sitting in a room in Wavell House.
I thought the website was a pile of **** too, with regards to accommodation.
So here's the breakdown on what they are all actually like:
Esslemont, Hector Boece, Keith & Burnett: These are all very similar and are the cheapest, most basic accommodation at Hillhead. About 6 people sharing, one bathroom, a tiny kitchen and the single bedrooms. Not mixed. They are fine for first year, but not amazing. Cleaner every other week. (Looks like a ghetto)

New Carnegie Court: Unite owned, shared with about 5 other. Spacious kitchen/living area. Nice bedrooms, just under a double sized bed. En-suite. No cleaners. Most expensive, but very comfortable first year living.

Wavell & Adam Smith: The middle priced accommodation. £90 a week at the moment. Pretty large rooms with a sink/mirror. Single bed. Shared kitchen/shower/toilets. Cleaned on weekdays in communal area. There is a tv room as well on the ground floors. Not mixed as with all accommodation on the floors. Wavell has alternate boy/girl floors. Adam Smith is all girls.

Okay, now the things I HATE about accommodation: Internet is soo terrible, its unbelievable. Remember dial-up? It's worse.
The noise in Wavell/Adam Smith, there is no skirting around the doors, so you always here doors slamming at 2am and the ridiculously loud hand dryers. The smell, people happily smoke in their rooms and you can smell marijuana all the time in the corridors. Shared kitchens. people don't understand about ownership, soo much of my food was taken out my fridge (mostly by Bulgarians/Romanians, who don't actually own any food).

Anything else you want to know just pm me!

Hope I didn't put you off, but its fine for first year!
Dirty Dream Number Two
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha, the Bulgarians are infamous for their shenanigans about Hillhead.
Dirty Dream Number Two
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a couple of pics of my room in Wavell if anybody wants them just PM me, I don't fancy putting them up on here for all to see haha.
yonglele
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Plenty of parking places

The negatives are:

I got assigned to Hector Boece..gathered from a lot of comments on this forum that it's a dump..is it really that bad?
btw, can't access the photo you uploaded
Dirty Dream Number Two
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yonglele)
I got assigned to Hector Boece..gathered from a lot of comments on this forum that it's a dump..is it really that bad?
btw, can't access the photo you uploaded
It's known as 'the ghetto' for a reason

(in all seriousness it's not that bad)
bozhkov
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by soulmeetsbody)
(mostly by Bulgarians/Romanians, who don't actually own any food)!
Possibly true, but looks awfully rude to blame (almost) all of it on us/them. My to pence is that if you want a quiet life, you're better off as far as you can get away from Hillhead. I have spent the first year in Hector Boece and I would not recommend it to anyone - despite the so widely proclaimed CCTV and security guards, I "managed" to get my room robbed from the window - a closed one - in the afternoon - with people walking around Hillhead and all.
yonglele
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dirty Dream Number Two)
It's known as 'the ghetto' for a reason

(in all seriousness it's not that bad)
i'd asked them to reassign me...got Adam Smith this time~ is it better?
Sean?
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Adam smith is not bad. Its just hector boyce that is awful.
bozhkov
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And Esslemont, Keith House and Burnett House
wilsjen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Adam Smith, Fyfe and Wavell have just been refurbished and by far have the bigger rooms. Adam Smith had boys in it when I lived there two years ago, as as far as I am aware Aberdeen Uni policy is that no girls live on the ground floor due to student halls being an easy target for theives!

Hillhead is by far the most fun, bar, coffee shop, shop and chipper within stumbling distance and only a 20 minute walk to uni. Also plenty of parties and things to do! Plus the porters are amazing.

Don't go New Carnegie as they are unite owned = bad news. Higher charges/longer waits for lock out fees and barely any chance of getting your deposit back.

The Ghetto (Burnett, Hector Bo, Esslemont and Keith) are alright - the rooms are definately what you make of them!

North Court is great too, South House I believe is aimed more at mature students.

Crombie/Johnston - close to uni but you have to put up with the rank catered food!

Kings Hall could be a shout as up until 2 years ago it was the uni hotel!

Enjoy your time in halls, they will be the best year of uni!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (503)
37.65%
No - but I will (103)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.75%

Watched Threads