Nitro R/C cars Watch

J1mjam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Went out with my nitro car the other day and stuck a mini camara on the top of it. thought it would be interesting to see what it looks like. made a video and posted on youtube for any of you that wanna have a look
ALTHOUGH THERE IS A WARNING ON THE VIDEO, ONCE THE ON BOARD CAMERA SHOTS STARTS, IT GETS VERY LOUD. PLEASE WATCH YOUR SPEAKERS. THE ONBOARD CAMERA IS ABOUT 2 INCHES FROM THE ENGINE SO THE NOISE IS UNAVOIDABLE.

anybody else out there with an interest in this sorta thing? its more of a hobby to me just enjoy taking it out every now and then.

enjoy
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to race RC stuff, albeit only at a local level, although one of the guys there got to the world touring car finals and was second or third best in the world (yeahh, no one really tried to beat him at our races :awesome:). I ran mostly electric stuff (1/10th 4wd off road, 1/10th 2wd off road and 1/10th 4wd on road, 1/12th 2wd carpet) although I did run a nitro monster truck for a season for a laugh (and actually did quite well too )

I sold most of my stuff a year or so ago and now only have the Mardave and truck left, although the truck is halfway through a conversion into a mutant off road racing machine but I haven't touched it in more than a year Bad times.
dabest2500
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
I used to race RC stuff, albeit only at a local level, although one of the guys there got to the world touring car finals and was second or third best in the world (yeahh, no one really tried to beat him at our races :awesome:). I ran mostly electric stuff (1/10th 4wd off road, 1/10th 2wd off road and 1/10th 4wd on road, 1/12th 2wd carpet) although I did run a nitro monster truck for a season for a laugh (and actually did quite well too )

I sold most of my stuff a year or so ago and now only have the Mardave and truck left, although the truck is halfway through a conversion into a mutant off road racing machine but I haven't touched it in more than a year Bad times.
I don't get it, if you're 2nd or 3rd best in a touring car doesn't necessarily mean that you are good with RC cars.
Or am I missing the point?
J1mjam
Rep:
?

coool. i dont think id ever be committed enough to actually go and race. although my friend(the one in the video) has but he decided hed had enough a couple of years back. I got my car as a complete novice for the 16th birthday and pretty much knew nothing about them. its pretty quick though we are looking for somewhere else to take it to actually throttle it. as the car-park we are in only allows for about a second of full throttle. wish i had bought some sorta buggy and be able to take it on grass etc..hmm
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dabest2500)
I don't get it, if you're 2nd or 3rd best in a touring car doesn't necessarily mean that you are good with RC cars.
Or am I missing the point?
RC touring cars I mean
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by J1mjam)
coool. i dont think id ever be committed enough to actually go and race. although my friend(the one in the video) has but he decided hed had enough a couple of years back. I got my car as a complete novice for the 16th birthday and pretty much knew nothing about them. its pretty quick though we are looking for somewhere else to take it to actually throttle it. as the car-park we are in only allows for about a second of full throttle. wish i had bought some sorta buggy and be able to take it on grass etc..hmm
Yeah the truck I raced was one of these:

Give it enough throttle and it would go over pretty much anything in it's way Two speed gearbox and a 3.5cc engine, obviously 4wd too, with 6 inches of vertical travel on each wheel. Too much fun. I got a bit bored of it though and hand made a stretched chassis pulling it out to about 2 and a half feet long, converted it to electric (more on tap power and less mess) and rwd. It got it 90% finished, I just need to get hold of an e-maxx motor mount and strengthen the chassis and it'd be done.

A b3 was my first racing buggy, had one complete car and two and a half parts cars (you break a lot of stuff when racing)

Then I had one of these with a one way center pulley (so when you brake it only brakes the rear wheels, not all four, improves turn in on tight tracks) but it stripped rear belts left right and center with any motor remotely hot (I used to run a 27turn triple mod in it and a belt would last 3 battery packs, if that).

Then I sold the Yoko and ran a Mardave:

Absolutely insane cars. Totally indestructible. I crashed mine into brick walls many, many times with no damage at all. Racing these was beserk, pretty much a demolition derby.
I half raced a Tamiya TL01 in drift spec for a while but I got so good no one at the local club would drift with me I certainly did better at drifting than off road with the buggys, I never got any further up the listing than half way in that class
dabest2500
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
RC touring cars I mean
:lol:
I completely missed it, I thought he did RC cars then was hired for a World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) team :lol:
Thanks for clearing that up
J1mjam
Rep:
?
quality post. good stuff. mines a 4WD two speed. but its so light that if hits a bump or stone it flies off. everytime i take it out. i start off slow for a tank or two. then start revving it up. in that video, the first of the two crashes at the end was the first time i went full throttle that day. hit a stone and prompty crashed into the kerb. wondering if adding weight might actually stabilise it a bit.

on the drifting note, last yea one of the screws fell out of the drive shaft and took away power from the front wheels. the results were mental. it was impossible to throttle it without it just spinning. but this gave us the chance to have a bit of drifting. was quite fun, killed the tyres but ah well.

ive got some pics of my car somewhere. cant seem to find them right now. it was pretty cheap (£160) compared to what you can spend. but the engine is team infinity. theres a few plastic parts which ideally i would like to replace. but as a toy it does the job.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll be on 1.9 wheels for that thing, get hold of some two inch PVC pipe. It should slide perfectly over the tyres with a friction fit. Now THAT is drifting my friend! You'll need to have a delicate throttle finger/thumb else you'll spend the entire time redlining the engine but with some finesse you can spend a lot of your time sideways How to make the tyres:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEDSU...4A3441A7A47BE9

Sidewaaaaayyyss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDA3o...eature=related
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wish I had the chance to get a nitro R/C car Stuck with my electric TT01 for a while longer though. How quickly would batteries run down while drifting like that?

Does the pipe need to be cut to make it a smaller diameter? If not i think I have found something to do over the summer How long do the PVC pipe "tyres" last? I must be able to pick up a spare set of wheels cheaply somewhere?
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dhr90)
Wish I had the chance to get a nitro R/C car Stuck with my electric TT01 for a while longer though. How quickly would batteries run down while drifting like that?

Does the pipe need to be cut to make it a smaller diameter? If not i think I have found something to do over the summer How long do the PVC pipe "tyres" last? I must be able to pick up a spare set of wheels cheaply somewhere?
Nitro is fun for a while until the mess and unreliability start pissing you off Electric has just as much (if not more) on tap power and I found it easier to modify. With new lithium batteries and brushless motors cars can easily push 70 or 80mph without breaking a sweat.

A normal battery (3000-4000mAh) actually lasts longer drifting than normal driving because although the motor is spinning fast it's got very, very little load on it (because there's almost no grip) so it draws a very low current. Two inch PVC is a perfect fit for 1.9 wheels (with some electrical tape and hot glue, as shown in the video) and a cheap set of wheels can be had on eBay for a few quid. For less than a tenner it's a lot of fun
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nitro is fun for a while until the mess and unreliability start pissing you off Electric has just as much (if not more) on tap power and I found it easier to modify. With new lithium batteries and brushless motors cars can easily push 70 or 80mph without breaking a sweat.

A normal battery (3000-4000mAh) actually lasts longer drifting than normal driving because although the motor is spinning fast it's got very, very little load on it (because there's almost no grip) so it draws a very low current. Two inch PVC is a perfect fit for 1.9 wheels (with some electrical tape and hot glue, as shown in the video) and a cheap set of wheels can be had on eBay for a few quid. For less than a tenner it's a lot of fun
Thats my summer project sorted then! Might look into brushless motors and lithium batteries if they can be had cheaply. I don't use the car very much these cays so don't want to spend very much doing this.
Ghost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Major sound warning once the onboard footage starts. Time to buy new speakers.
J1mjam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ghost)
Major sound warning once the onboard footage starts. Time to buy new speakers.
tbf i did put a comment on the video telling people that it got loud. obv its gonna be loud when the camera is about 2 inches from the engine.

You'll be on 1.9 wheels for that thing, get hold of some two inch PVC pipe. It should slide perfectly over the tyres with a friction fit. Now THAT is drifting my friend! You'll need to have a delicate throttle finger/thumb else you'll spend the entire time redlining the engine but with some finesse you can spend a lot of your time sideways How to make the tyres:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEDSUO5QZTg&playnext =1&list=PL0F4A3441A7A47BE9

Sidewaaaaayyyss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDA3oO4RhSA&feature= related
that looks great. might have a go over the summer. ill show my friend that and im sure well have fun. will it still work with 4WD? im guessing it would since theres no grip.
i thought about electric, but before i got the nitro, i had many many electric cars(as a kid etc) so wanted sumut a bit different. and the challenge it good and so far its been pretty reliable(touch wood).
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by J1mjam)
tbf i did put a comment on the video telling people that it got loud. obv its gonna be loud when the camera is about 2 inches from the engine.

that looks great. might have a go over the summer. ill show my friend that and im sure well have fun. will it still work with 4WD? im guessing it would since theres no grip.
i thought about electric, but before i got the nitro, i had many many electric cars(as a kid etc) so wanted sumut a bit different. and the challenge it good and so far its been pretty reliable(touch wood).
Once you've driven a decent electric car you'll never go back. I might try to find some old videos of my Mardave and stretched savage but I have no idea where they are now :/ It wouldn't work full stop with rear wheel drive, it'll just spin in circles. Having 4wd is what lets you hang the drift
J1mjam
Rep:
?
Once you've driven a decent electric car you'll never go back. I might try to find some old videos of my Mardave and stretched savage but I have no idea where they are now :/ It wouldn't work full stop with rear wheel drive, it'll just spin in circles. Having 4wd is what lets you hang the drift
okay cool. ive sent those videos to my friend on facebook, hopefully he will agree to take the project on. hes the one with the glue gun! my current wheels are dead now. so this might give them a new lease of life.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have two Schumacher Nitro trucks, they are bloody awesome! They leave most electric cars for dust as they do over 70mph with a 3 speed automatic box, 4wd and a .21cc engine.

So much win!

Never had that many issues with reliability to be honest, they just take a little time to set up and are much more maintenance intensive than electric to handle the power.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
I have two Schumacher Nitro trucks, they are bloody awesome! They leave most electric cars for dust as they do over 70mph with a 3 speed automatic box, 4wd and a .21cc engine.

So much win!

Never had that many issues with reliability to be honest, they just take a little time to set up and are much more maintenance intensive than electric to handle the power.
Then you've never had a go on a proper electric car or truck Electric doesn't need gears as it has a much better spread of torque and power across the rev range compared to IC engines.

Micro car clocking pretty respectable speeds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELIEK3l-Tpk

Traxxas slash pulling on demand wheelies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpO8Zs3VxUo

Electric has come on a long way these days, even only a couple of years ago the only way to get speed with electric was NiMh batteries and 7turn mod motors which went through a set of brushes every run. Lipo batteries are much lower maintenance and brushless motors can hit insane rpms with almost no wear at all.
J1mjam
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)

So much win!

nice pics i wanna get a speedo on mine and find a proper wide space to run it. theres not many wide open tarmac places near me. plenty of fields!

Then you've never had a go on a proper electric car or truck Electric doesn't need gears as it has a much better spread of torque and power across the rev range compared to IC engines.

Micro car clocking pretty respectable speeds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELIEK3l-Tpk

Traxxas slash pulling on demand wheelies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpO8Zs3VxUo

Electric has come on a long way these days, even only a couple of years ago the only way to get speed with electric was NiMh batteries and 7turn mod motors which went through a set of brushes every run. Lipo batteries are much lower maintenance and brushless motors can hit insane rpms with almost no wear at all.
proper electric fan boy on the go here hehe. would like to compare first hand. but i dont know what would be a good comparison. how long would a battery last in a 1:10 car, thrashing it around quite a bit? and how long would it take to recharge. one thing about nitro is, you can just keep refilling till you run outa fuel (unlikely) or you get bored. im interested. i would think about possibly getting on. for fun and less maintenance obv. perhaps one more suited to off road(grass etc)
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Used to be big into this..,, since 10 years old..Tamiya 1/10 scale were my favoured ones. had RWD and 4WD rally cars mostly. Never could go into engines as they were too expensive then.

Also started into RC aircraft, I still have an unfinished Spitfire that I started building in 2004 Between work, girls and work somehow or rather such projects take a back seat LOL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.83%
No - but I will (101)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed