why dont we get a vote on NHS reforms? Watch

timtea
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
if we get a yes or no vote on AV then why cant we get a vote on the NHS reforms and all that jazz... after all its our NHS which we fund so why dont we get a say in the matter?
jimi191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
because alot of the people who would vote yes or no for nhs reforms would not fully understand what they are voting for.

this is a representive democracy, we vote in the people we want to make the choices like the nhs for us

The reason we get a yes or no on av is because we are voting for the way we want to vote, would be wrong to let the current government ( if it was labour i would say the same ) choose.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mainly financial constraints. Can you imagine how much it would cost to run referenda on every government decision?

We elect a government of representative individuals to make these decisions for us.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because we live in a representive democracy not a direct democracy. As for voting reform. MP's should not have control on how they are elected purely because if they had such power they would have the ability to change the voting systems to such a point that they would never not be in power, that would be wrong and dangerous.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by timtea)
if we get a yes or no vote on AV then why cant we get a vote on the NHS reforms and all that jazz... after all its our NHS which we fund so why dont we get a say in the matter?
this is a representative democracy; government policy is decided by ministers with the consent of parliament. Policy such as this is far too complicated to be left to the electorate; it would be stupid to hold an election on an issue such as this. Not only is the issue too complex, the NHS reform bill is way too long and technical to be read by the average person.

secondly, referendums are meant to be held on constitutional issues such as they way we are governed, and issues of legitimacy. this is why only issues such as voting systems, devolution and the EU can be held to referendum. the NHS is not a constitutional matter.
PatrickC
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jimi191)
because alot of the people who would vote yes or no for nhs reforms would not fully understand what they are voting for.

this is a representive democracy, we vote in the people we want to make the choices like the nhs for us

The reason we get a yes or no on av is because we are voting for the way we want to vote, would be wrong to let the current government ( if it was labour i would say the same ) choose.
Totally right. So many people are so misinformed about certain things they vote on (even if it's just general election or AV referendum). You should only be allowed to vote on things if you can show before that you are informed about it, otherwise there's no point in people voting. (obviously practically this couldn't happen, but I wish it would)
maturestudy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We had one last year. It was called a general election.
Bellrosk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It doesn't work like that.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by timtea)
This is not a direct democracy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads