The Student Room Group

Online Dating - The Preserve of the Desperate or a Viable Way to Meet Someone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Prime500
Do you think the online dating thing was worthwhile for you then?

Yeah but my situation was different. I was moving back to a city I hadnt lived in for 5 years and a lot of people (read: women) I knew had moved on.
Original post by .Gosh
I feel exactly the same! :tongue:

I don't know why though. :colondollar:

There's no way you should go on it, if you're 17, I don't mean that in a patronising way, but there won't be many males your own age on, most will be in their mid 20s to 40s, and any that are setting the search filter down low enough to bring your profile up would be a bit dodgy IMO
Reply 42
The way the Internet keeps growing, I don't think it will be long before people think twice if you say you met online.
Reply 43
Original post by MagicNMedicine
There's no way you should go on it, if you're 17, I don't mean that in a patronising way, but there won't be many males your own age on, most will be in their mid 20s to 40s, and any that are setting the search filter down low enough to bring your profile up would be a bit dodgy IMO

Oh gosh, no way I'd do it now! It would get dodgy. :colondollar:

When you're a bit older though and lonely, I can see why someone would consider it.
Reply 44
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Yeah I agree 17 would be too young, to be honest. Most of those using it seem to be around 24 and up, from my experience.
Reply 45
Original post by .Gosh
Oh gosh, no way I'd do it now! It would get dodgy. :colondollar:

When you're a bit older though and lonely, I can see why someone would consider it.

I think the optimum age, as someone has said before, would be 24 and over, approximately speaking. If I haven't at least had some sort of relationship by then, I will be a bit worried to be honest.
Reply 47
Original post by Prime500
I'm 21, would you say that's too young?

Probably not, actually. I'm sure I saw a few 20 year olds on there, but most were around 24 and up.

I'm 23 if that helps.
Reply 48
Original post by No Future

I don't like you.
Met my current girlfriend on TSR, not that it's the same thing as I don't use this site specifically for dating, but...

Online dating is a way of getting to know them. I'm not the kind of person who would go to clubs to meet people, and the chances of finding a girl I'd actually contemplate dating in a club are practically zero. As I'm slightly shy when I get to know somebody initially, it has made it easier to get to know them.

I prefer TSR for relationships to be honest, because there are a higher proportion of girls I'd be interested in (similar age, intelligence is important too). It sounds pretty sad but I think going on dating sites where a relationship is the sole purpose of the website, is worse :tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by little_wizard123
Met my current girlfriend on TSR, not that it's the same thing as I don't use this site specifically for dating, but...

Online dating is a way of getting to know them. I'm not the kind of person who would go to clubs to meet people, and the chances of finding a girl I'd actually contemplate dating in a club are practically zero. As I'm slightly shy when I get to know somebody initially, it has made it easier to get to know them.

I prefer TSR for relationships to be honest, because there are a higher proportion of girls I'd be interested in (similar age, intelligence is important too). It sounds pretty sad but I think going on dating sites where a relationship is the sole purpose of the website, is worse :tongue:

I'm not sure one is more sad than the other to be honest. To be honest, the majority of girls on online dating sites seem to be a bit older, and let's just say aesthetics isn't their strong point, and leave it at that.
whenever someone goes "we met online...."

i cringe.

it's a bit weird me thinks.

no offense. i'm sure there are exceptional circumstances. but .. :s
Original post by Anonymous
whenever someone goes "we met online...."

i cringe.

it's a bit weird me thinks.

no offense. i'm sure there are exceptional circumstances. but .. :s

Why is it more weird than meeting a random person in a club when you are both drunk as hell? Personally, if I hadn't heard of either methods of meeting people before hand, it would be the club one that would seem the weirdest (and most dangerous).
Original post by WelshBluebird
Why is it more weird than meeting a random person in a club when you are both drunk as hell? Personally, if I hadn't heard of either methods of meeting people before hand, it would be the club one that would seem the weirdest (and most dangerous).

I'm not condoning one night stands or anything. it's just the whole idea of meeting someone in the real world, and going from there, and actually knowing them. getting their number and flirting from there. seeing the people they hang out with etc. find out how they act and behave (very hard to judge from online). i find that method a little safer than the online thing.
it's so easy to manipulate people and tell them what they want to hear online.

if someone says they have met their other half online, i am just wary of the other person. can't help it.
Reply 54
I'm not condoning one night stands or anything. it's just the whole idea of meeting someone in the real world, and going from there, and actually knowing them. getting their number and flirting from there. seeing the people they hang out with etc. find out how they act and behave (very hard to judge from online). i find that method a little safer than the online thing.
it's so easy to manipulate people and tell them what they want to hear online.

if someone says they have met their other half online, i am just wary of the other person. can't help it.

I sense trust issues right there.
Original post by Drewski
I sense trust issues right there.

yeah. probably when i was on msn when younger and my mother kept coming in to check who i was talking to saying i'm gonna be murdered or raped. she didn't really understand the idea of msn.
Reply 56
yeah. probably when i was on msn when younger and my mother kept coming in to check who i was talking to saying i'm gonna be murdered or raped. she didn't really understand the idea of msn.

Well, clearly, not everyone in the internet is a murderer, oherwise there'd be several hundred millions murderers out there... Trust that you're good enough at talking to people to see what they're like and you'll have no bother whatsoever.

I've met countless people 'off of the internet' and never had a single issue.
Original post by Drewski
Well, clearly, not everyone in the internet is a murderer, oherwise there'd be several hundred millions murderers out there... Trust that you're good enough at talking to people to see what they're like and you'll have no bother whatsoever.

I've met countless people 'off of the internet' and never had a single issue.

Just that often people put on a show or a certain 'face' for the internet. I know this can count for people off the internet too. But in that case you have extra things to judge them by, like their actions, their expressions and how they carry themselves.

Also, I had friends who were 'groomed' or made to feel special by people on the internet. They just told them everything they wanted to hear. And wanted to meet up.
Maybe I have trust issues in general with everyone. :frown:
Reply 58
Original post by WelshBluebird

I don't know if it's more weird or not, I think it's more problematic. It's very hard to judge someone online, whereas actually interacting with someone in real life is much better, I think. Not knocking online dating, I just prefer actually talking to the person in real life. It doesn't necessarily have to be at a nightclub either. To be honest, I think it's most likely you'll meet the right person when you least expect it.
Just that often people put on a show or a certain 'face' for the internet. I know this can count for people off the internet too. But in that case you have extra things to judge them by, like their actions, their expressions and how they carry themselves.

Also, I had friends who were 'groomed' or made to feel special by people on the internet. They just told them everything they wanted to hear. And wanted to meet up.
Maybe I have trust issues in general with everyone. :frown:
i

the exact thing you wrote above happens in real life as well. I've seen it happened to others and I've experienced it. You think you know someone and then they show you their real, unattractive colors. If you consider domestic abuse, usually the relationship starts off great, the victim is usually made to feel loved or special by their spouse and then, there's a switch. someone's getting the crap beaten out of them. my point is, if you can be taken advantage emotionally, chances are someone will do it, and that person may be met either on or offline. and my guy friends tell girls things they want to hear all the time. and its easier for them to do this in person as they can use body language such as eye contact and even touch to be more convincing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending