Going to Singapore to work for a year, is it nice, anyone live there/been there? Watch

sammynorton90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've got onto a graduate scheme working in Singapore, when I graduate next year. I've heard it's really nice and clean, and also that the weathers amazing. But have never actually been there, whats it like?
darkxangel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My mum absolutely adores that place, so it must be pretty nice there. Apparently it's very multicultural and interesting, the food's nice to. But I've never been there myself. Have fun!
sammynorton90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by darkxangel)
My mum absolutely adores that place, so it must be pretty nice there. Apparently it's very multicultural and interesting, the food's nice to. But I've never been there myself. Have fun!
Thanks. Yeah I've heard from some people that its a bit of a social equality paradise, which I like the idea of. They've got the death penalty for drugs and murder, neither of which I am a fun, so I should be fine.
stepheatstoast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went there on my gap year for a bit and one of my best friends at university lived there for four years and we both love it!
I think it's one of the nicest countries I've ever been to.
It's obviously far enough away and has an Asian culture so it feels exotic but at the same time has so many British influences and is so easy to navigate that I felt right at home.
Good luck on your grad scheme and have fun!
Ocassus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lived there for four years myself.

Beautiful, tolerant, fantastic.

The place is clean, the culture is rich and diverse, electronics are cheap [though petrol is expensive, but hey, its a tiny island, the public transport is amazing[.

The travel options for holidays are brilliant. [Bintan for a weekend anyone?]

It is the place I would most like to live [Again] on the planet.

Oh, but if you dont like hot places, it might not be for you. Humid as hell.
Curly_hair_girl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's lovely. Great shopping, great food, great culture, fun places, great transport. Was very hot when I went in Feb.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Awesome city, so clean & vibrant. Definitely a fantastic place to live as far as cities go. Food is AMAZZING, better than anywhere else I've been. Loads of theatres and places to wander, jungle, beaches, places to swim.

The only downside is also an upside depending on your inclination. It's rather sterile, there isn't that much character. Everything is very modern, and even those areas which aren't look brand new.
Thomas2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel where you can buy the authentic Singapore Sling.
loz957
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love Singapore, been several times. It's a fantastic melting pot of cultures and cuisine, so many interesting things to see. It's also a very safe, clean and efficient country. I wouldn't say the weather is amazing. Singapore has an equitorial tropical rainforest climate, it is not as sunny as people may think. Hot and humid year round.
RoseRequiem
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My aunty and uncle lived there for a number of years, and they absolutely fell in love with the culture, the scenery and the lifestyle! Good luck
xDave-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Chewing gum is banned afaik. I chew 24/7, so it sounds like hell heh.

My cousin lives there and seems to like it, I know nothing about it though!
UseYourEyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My father has lived there for 9 years and i have visited a good 10+ times over that period. What I can say is that it is an absolutely wonderful country, there is nowhere else in the world where i feel more safe and welcome. The food is amazing, the people are amazing and the culture is wonderful.

It may seem like it is a small country at first, but you can drive to Malaysia, KL is an hours flight away, Brunei is an hour and a half, Indonesia is a boat ride away.

Im moving there after university so i guess that sums up my feelings about the place.

Goodluck.
katiej149
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've never lived in Singapore, but I've visited at least 10 times (have a lot of family there!). As so many have said before, it's a good mix of cultures and cuisines (Chinese, Indian, Malay, even British and American influences). The people are friendly and the scenery is lovely. The weather is OK if you like hot places. I find it's OK for a holiday, but I don't know if I'd like it living there all year round!

There are also so many things/tourist attractions to visit around the island in your free time: http://www.travel-singapore-with-me.com
I would definitely recommend Sentosa Island and Orchard Road.

Also, if you decide you want to get away for a bit, places like Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Borneo are all within a couple of hours flight!

I'm a bit biased, but I definitely think it's a great place. Hope you have a lot of fun there, and best of luck with the graduate scheme!
Ocassus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sounds like a good plan from the looks of this thread OP! You're very lucky!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.86%
No - but I will (100)
7.59%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.72%

Watched Threads