Microwave and housemate Watch

Flyer8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Few of us rent flat together, a microwave that came with has recently stoped working - we assumed it's end of lifetime. From what I understandgiven, no sign of damage, the microwave failed on its own - and should be upto the landlord to replace, right?

Though got a message from a flatmate, who's still away on holiday, apparently she's already bought new one, and requested us to pay - yet without any consultation, or agreement with us.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate someone with an initiative. Though what really fobbed me off, was her asking for money, without the decency, of reaching an agreement first.

Its unreasonable to ask for payment which, is upto the landlord to replace; something I did't agree on; and something I won't use? (she's staying for 1 more year I'm moving out in 2 month)

Just want to know, where I stand before talking to her. Advice appreciated.
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What absinth said. Though if it's a cheap microwave (like £30) i'd just pay it as it's bugger all money. If she's bought an expensive one and is expecting you to pay a big chunk then yeah, I would feel a bit miffed about it.
jimi191
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Absinth)
Ask the landlord to replace the microwave and tell the flatmate to return it?
sounds like the sensible option
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rustlers will subsidise the cost of a microwave if you agree to purchase 365 burgers up front.....?
BlueJoker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In the interest of making your life easier, if it's under £50, just pay it? It's so minor there's little point getting worked up about it.
Nick Longjohnson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How much can a microwave cost?
H.JJJ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its a microwave dude, just pay if its a reasonable amount. No point in kicking up a fuss over something so stupid
tsr_clueless
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
pay her the share, then put some tin foil in it and put it on for 5 minutes, then go buy one for 200 and get a share from her of more than what you paid, it'll be a waste of money buying the microwave but she'll end up giving you money so you kinda win..
CameraGirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ask the landlord to re-imburse the money for the microwave?
if it's only a small amount just pay it haha, but if its not cheap then ask the landlord to get one and her return it, or the landlord pay for the one that she bought.
Jesse_Mac
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CameraGirl)
ask the landlord to re-imburse the money for the microwave?
if it's only a small amount just pay it haha, but if its not cheap then ask the landlord to get one and her return it, or the landlord pay for the one that she bought.
I'd second this, though I can't see your landlord saying yes. Just pull the whole 'ahh, we're students, we need a microwave!' cheesy stereotype and (s)he'll probably not mind. Saves him/her looking, so it kinda works all round.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.89%
No - but I will (13)
4.51%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (143)
49.65%

Watched Threads