The Student Room Group

Sickening attack on free speech, Veitch's arrest caught on camera

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Well its debatable. Likely wrong. Times have changed? Sorry but you cannot mention China and North Korea in the same breath as the UK police.
I don't see what the problem was with arresting him.

I sometimes wonder if these people have any idea about "police brutality"... you don't realise how lucky you are compared to other countries.

I was pulled over 5 weeks ago and fined 100 quid by a police man on a deserted bit of highway in South Africa. He made up a reason for fining me and promptly pocketed my cash. Sadly, that's common over there and we can't do anything about it. Gun crime and murder are rife over there coupled with ineffective and corrupt police force...

It's a shame they released that irritating man.
Reply 82
I hate this royal wedding, seriously... it's just a bunch of posh gits. Who cares?
Reply 83
Think about it......

Keeping people like Veitch et al away for one day is hardly a sickening attack on free speech.. its just removing unwanted elements for a single day when the worlds eyes are on us so we look like a patriotic and stable nation. He and everyone else is free to protest on the other 364 days of the year which is 364 days more than people living in far more oppressive countries get.

Im not supporting the wedding or Veitch and his zeitgeist hippy crew but im just saying.. when you look at the whole scenario from a neutral perspective it make sense and, unless those who were 'arrested' were detained for an unfair amount of time, then i see no real issue here.
Original post by EggmanD
Think about it......

Keeping people like Veitch et al away for one day is hardly a sickening attack on free speech.. its just removing unwanted elements for a single day when the worlds eyes are on us so we look like a patriotic and stable nation. He and everyone else is free to protest on the other 364 days of the year which is 364 days more than people living in far more oppressive countries get.

Im not supporting the wedding or Veitch and his zeitgeist hippy crew but im just saying.. when you look at the whole scenario from a neutral perspective it make sense and, unless those who were 'arrested' were detained for an unfair amount of time, then i see no real issue here.

Freedom of speach of everyone - unless we want to look good.

What happened to : 'I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'?
Reply 85
Original post by IFondledAGibbon

What happened to : 'I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'?

people realised it was a **** over-peddled quote that twelve year olds like to spuriously quote
Original post by Kreuzuerk
people realised it was a **** over-peddled quote that twelve year olds like to spuriously quote

So you don't believe in free speech?

Or do you only believe in it, when you happen agree with what’s being said?
Reply 87
He is such a prick. Everytime I see one of his videos he makes me feel like I want to punch him in the face.
Reply 88
Why does she have to throw in studying at Cambridge. Stupid bint.
Reply 89
Original post by Bellrosk
That's completely legal, try again.

He didn't say it was illegal, he said it was sick :facepalm2:
Reply 90
She is so threatening towards the police :lolwut:

"Your superiors don't know what they have got themselves into"

Someone needs to give her a bit of polcie brutality tbh.
Original post by beepbeeprichie
And perhaps they'll be nice to the person whose head they'll put a bullet through.

slippery slope fallacy.
Reply 92
So you don't believe in free speech?

Or do you only believe in it, when you happen agree with what’s being said?

You back Westbro Baptist picketing soldier's funerals? Right on.
Reply 93
Don't know what's sickening about it apart from the stupid moaning cow.
Original post by Kreuzuerk
You back Westbro Baptist picketing soldier's funerals? Right on.

It’s a tough one. There is a fine line between expressing a subjective opinion and causing psychological harm. I’m for freedom of speech, but I don’t think we should let bullies use verbal abuse to harm someone. I would possibly make an exception to freedom of speech in this case if there is evidence of psychological harm.

In the case of the royal wedding no such claim can be reasonably made. It’s simply 'we don’t want our country to look bad’. Which is a point of view no more right than wanting to protest.
Reply 95

It’s a tough one. There is a fine line between expressing a subjective opinion and causing psychological harm. I’m for freedom of speech, but I don’t think we should let bullies use verbal abuse to harm someone. I would possibly make an exception to freedom of speech in this case if there is evidence of psychological harm.

In the case of the royal wedding no such claim can be reasonably made. It’s simply 'we don’t want our country to look bad’. Which is a point of view no more right than wanting to protest.

Why is it ok to limit freedom of speech when you feel like but none when others want it to be? What makes your limits any better than theirs?
Reply 96
Freedom of speach of everyone - unless we want to look good.

Well, putting aside the fact that blunt and primitive philosophy can be used to justify anything..we need to remove the blanket and look at the facts...

fact 1 - The WHOLE WORLD was watching the Royal Wedding... this wasn't going to be a platform where protestors were allowed to demonstrate.. the fact that media from all corners of the globe attended meant the whole country needed put across a certain image.. now this could be to reinforce our nation as a tourist hotspot, to portray a country that is patriotic, proud and strong or some other quite valid reason to make sure no one who could disrupt the event could do so as it would become the focus of the event for the media..

'Royal Wedding ruined by crusty hippy chained to the palace, British police fail to secure event, The Queen forced to enter Buckingham Palace through the tour entrance'

Our nation could of been embarrassed which no one really wants even if you hate the Royals.

fact 2 - If the common voice was '**** the monarchy' it would take a hell of a lot more effort than detaining a few ringleaders of republican supporters trying to demonstrate or **** the establishment hippy sorts or any other group that could disrupt this ceremony. The tv ratings would of been minimal, bunting sales would be down and no one would care which would be loud enough.

You can say 'free speech only when it suits you' and i agree with your base point but at the end of the day... aside from this being ONE whole day they were not allowed to protest on regardless of its importance, they are a minority so they cannot complain when the majority put them in their place for ONE day.. they didn't cry on any other days except when they egg on policemen to attempt to detain them only to talk their way out of it..... wooo social justice!

If the world didn't care about the Royal Wedding then they wouldn't have watched it. They did, so they did.

Im not going to get started on the sort of hypocritical morons who think that taking to the streets calling people 'sheeple' and crying 'dont assault me' when an officer touches them are anything other than deluded social waste adding a terrible image to anything alternative to the system we have now including the douche here who got arrested for being a cockey knowitall prick walking around telling people why they are ****.

I agree with what these people envision but the dont have a clue how to change anything! and even if the world was the way they wanted it to be they would still march around trying to find some excuse to be above the 'peasants' with facts they stole off someone who actually tried to do something about the world.. mostly Peter Joseph and the Venus Project.

If you want a positive social change, what you do is go outside and find ways to help, find things to change and promote ideas you think are valid...What you dont do is sing 'we all live in a facist regime' to the tune of yellow submarine in the middle of a park getting stoned because your just being a selfish, elitist and hypocritical moron.
(edited 12 years ago)
Wow, what kind of country do I live in that this could be branded an attack on free speech?! If they arrested him on suspicion of trespassing in Fortnum and Mason, then they obviously have evidence to prove it. Why kick up a fuss and pretend it was a political arrest, when the police officer clearly stated why he was being arrested. Jesus Christ, if it was an attack on free speech the policeman would have smashed her camera and arrested her, too. :rolleyes:
Original post by Mess.
Why is it ok to limit freedom of speech when you feel like but none when others want it to be? What makes your limits any better than theirs?

My "limits" are based on utility, rather than differing subjective opinions. Assuming that most people accept utility as an acceptable framework for society.

Original post by EggmanD
Well, putting aside the fact that blunt and primitive philosophy can be used to justify anything..we need to remove the blanket and look at the facts...

fact 1 - The WHOLE WORLD was watching the Royal Wedding... this wasn't going to be a platform where protestors were allowed to demonstrate.. the fact that media from all corners of the globe attended meant the whole country needed put across a certain image.. now this could be to reinforce our nation as a tourist hotspot, to portray a country that is patriotic, proud and strong or some other quite valid reason to make sure no one who could disrupt the event could do so as it would become the focus of the event for the media..

Wanting to “look good” is subjective. No reason to limit freedoms.

Original post by EggmanD

'Royal Wedding ruined by crusty hippy chained to the palace, British police fail to secure event, The Queen forced to enter Buckingham Palace through the tour entrance'

Our nation could of been embarrassed which no one really wants even if you hate the Royals.

I and many other people wouldn’t give a ****. Another opinion.

Original post by EggmanD

fact 2 - If the common voice was '**** the monarchy' it would take a hell of a lot more effort than detaining a few ringleaders of republican supporters trying to demonstrate or **** the establishment hippy sorts or any other group that could disrupt this ceremony. The tv ratings would of been minimal, bunting sales would be down and no one would care which would be protest enough.

This isn’t fact. And even if we where to take it as fact, increased TV ratings would be weighed against the cost of the monarchy. Even if we where to loose money through protests that’s no reason to stop people expressing opinions.

Original post by EggmanD

You can say 'free speech only when it suits you' and i agree with your base point but at the end of the day... aside from this being ONE whole day they were not allowed to protest on regardless of its importance, they are a minority so they cannot complain when the majority put them in their place for ONE day.. they didn't cry on any other days except when they egg on policemen to attempt to detain them only to talk their way out of it..... wooo social justice!

If the world didn't care about the Royal Wedding then they wouldn't have watched it. They did, so they did.

Im not going to get started on the sort of hypocritical morons who think that taking to the streets calling people 'sheeple' and crying 'dont assault me' when an officer touches them are anything other than deluded social waste adding a terrible image to anything alternative to the system we have now including the douche here who got arrested for being a cockey knowitall prick walking around telling people why they are ****.

I agree with what these people envision but the dont have a clue how to change anything! and even if the world was the way they wanted it to be they would still march around trying to find some excuse to be above the 'peasants' with facts they stole off someone who actually tried to do something about the world.. mostly Peter Joseph and the Venus Project.

If you want a positive social change, what you do is go outside and find ways to help, find things to change and promote ideas you think are valid...What you dont do is sing 'we all live in a facist regime' to the tune of yellow submarine in the middle of a park getting stoned because your just being a selfish, elitist and hypocritical moron.

Opinions, opinions and more opinions. Your frankly insulting and narrow view of anarchists is obviously unrepresentative and in no way justifies limiting what they have to say.
Reply 99
Who says that most people believe utility to be an acceptable framework for society :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending