Is English amongst the 'hardest' A-Levels? Watch

Pn94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Are the skills required to gain a high grade in English up there with the skills required to do well in subjects such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry ect? Is English (Lit) amongst the toughest of A-Levels?

Discuss.
*Hakz*
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd have to say; Yes for English Literature but not so much for English Language.

That's why Eng Lit is considered 'traditional' and Eng Lang isn't considered such.
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All completely subjective.
Not sure about the figures at all (there are statistics on such things) but i do not like people who like to completely generalise things.

Like business, i don't care if people say 'Business Studies A-level can generally be said to be easier than quite a few other's. Rather than imbeciles who just simply say 'Business Studies is easy everyone can do it'
Baula
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pn94)
Are the skills required to gain a high grade in English up there with the skills required to do well in subjects such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry ect? Is English amongst the toughest of A-Levels?

Discuss.
Generally, Maths and Sciences are seen as 'harder'. In my opinion I believe that this is true because I really can't get my head around maths I'm better at words and constructing arguments in essays.
That said, I believe it's all pretty subjective.

Just as a random addition -
A teacher once said to my mum at Parent's Evening that if a person is good at Maths and Science, they're normally not as good at languages/humanities and vice versa. For me this is true but it would be pretty interesting to see how accurate this is
LadyLondoner
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im doing english lit, I dont really find it all that hard but it can be tricky at times, but thats with any subject
BlueJoker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Every person is good at different things. I can write an essay on a book that I've only skimmed read and get a strong A, but I cannot get my head around maths or science.
But my boyfriend, who's predicted As for maths and science and can solve a rubix cube in two minutes, cannot write an essay to save his life. I had to give him a LOT of help on his personal statement. His passion is there, he just struggles to construct a good piece of writing.
Legen...dary!!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No.
Pn94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Baula)
Generally, Maths and Sciences are seen as 'harder'. In my opinion I believe that this is true because I really can't get my head around maths I'm better at words and constructing arguments in essays.
That said, I believe it's all pretty subjective.

Just as a random addition -
A teacher once said to my mum at Parent's Evening that if a person is good at Maths and Science, they're normally not as good at languages/humanities and vice versa. For me this is true but it would be pretty interesting to see how accurate this is
Yeah, I suppose what your teacher was trying to say is correct, I know a few people who are excellent at Maths & Science yet aren't as bright in terms of essay writing, and some can't even string a coherent sentence together, seriously.

(Original post by *Hakz*)
I'd have to say; Yes for English Literature but no so much for English Language.

That's why Eng Lit is considered 'traditional' and Eng Lang isn't considered such.
Why do you think so?
Colour Me Pretty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
English Lit is more difficult than English Language. However, Language is too dry for my liking; I'd rather have a Lit lesson than an English Language one.
Pn94
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueJoker)
Every person is good at different things. I can write an essay on a book that I've only skimmed read and get a strong A, but I cannot get my head around maths or science.
But my boyfriend, who's predicted As for maths and science and can solve a rubix cube in two minutes, cannot write an essay to save his life. I had to give him a LOT of help on his personal statement. His passion is there, he just struggles to construct a good piece of writing.
Yeah that's true, I'm terrible at Maths yet writing an essay now seems to be second nature, to put it simply. I suppose it is dependent on what you're good at.
malaikah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it is, then it explains why I'm finding it difficult to get A's in my essays... *hangs head*
*Hakz*
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pn94)
Yeah, I suppose what your teacher was trying to say is correct, I know a few people who are excellent at Maths & Science yet aren't as bright in terms of essay writing, and some can't even string a coherent sentence together, seriously.

Why do you think so?
It is considered harder and more rigorous/time consuming than Lang.
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I reckon its completely subjective. I'm definitely a maths/science person so I would probably find english lang/lit (particularly lit) difficult yet I understand new maths topics pretty well and seem to cope with it better than quite a few of my peers. Although I would be sort of interested in seeing how well I would do in eng lit. While I don't find it interesting I reckon I could turn my hand to learning something new (or rather re-learning how to analyse text and write essays but with more depth than before)
TurkeyProphet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well obviously English language is a complete joke at A level. Most of the kids in my class got A*s and were still a bit fuzzy about which one was the 'doing word'.

All A levels are pretty easy across the board. And whilst a lot of people will joke about how easy art subjects are they fail to notice the fact a lot of science students are barely literate and haven't read a book since year 11. Saying this I didn't read a single book for all of year 13 (for the course anyway) and got 98% just using sparknotes and I wouldn't consider myself an exceptional student.

The perceived difficulty is raised because, like most subjects at A level, 90% of the class shouldn't be doing the subject. Most of the class don't read anything but trash for pleasure and wouldn't be able to tell you who Beckett or Pound are. When we got to choose our own texts most of the class chose stuff like the Time Traveller's wife. These people struggle and therefore it may be seen as a difficult subject. But who should measure the difficulty of the subject? The ones who will go on to study it or the ones who are just taking it even though they've complained about English for 5 years and can't do any real sciences?
Horatio-
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's subjective and depends on your skills.

Some people will have the skills better needed for doing well while others won't
member520746
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a question without a real answer. A-levels are only as easy as your strengths. I love English and without being smug I can do pretty well in it without a great deal of effort, it just plays to my strengths. But I have no real aptitude for Maths and the sophistication of my artistry falls short of stick men. It's just about what you like and you're good at innit, when you get to A level you aren't really learning skills so much as honing them.
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I found maths tougher, but a guy who dropped out from my English set is now doing a maths degree. Go figure.
God_X
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A levels are all a walk in the park so it doesn't matter which one's marginally harder to be honest.
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TurkeyProphet)
Well obviously English language is a complete joke at A level. Most of the kids in my class got A*s and were still a bit fuzzy about which one was the 'doing word'.

All A levels are pretty easy across the board. And whilst a lot of people will joke about how easy art subjects are they fail to notice the fact a lot of science students are barely literate and haven't read a book since year 11. Saying this I didn't read a single book for all of year 13 (for the course anyway) and got 98% just using sparknotes and I wouldn't consider myself an exceptional student.

The conceived difficulty is raised because, like most subjects at A level, 90% of the class shouldn't be doing the subject. Most of the class don't read anything but trash for pleasure and wouldn't be able to tell you who Beckett or Pound are. When we got to choose our own texts most of the class chose stuff like the Time Traveller's wife. These people struggle and therefore it may be seen as a difficult subject. But who should measure the difficulty of the subject? The ones who will go on to study it or the ones who are just taking it even though they've complained about English for 5 years and can't do any real sciences?
To be fair I don't read novels for enjoyment and I still did fine at Lit. Actually I didn't even read half of Emma and I got 95% in that paper. It's all about the AO's.
LeSacMagique
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pn94)
Are the skills required to gain a high grade in English up there with the skills required to do well in subjects such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry ect? Is English (Lit) amongst the toughest of A-Levels?

Discuss.
I think in terms of 'raw hardness', if there is such a thing, it's equal to other respectable A-Levels. As with everything, though, it really comes down to natural ability and interest in the subject; I am quite good at it and find it very interesting, so for me it's probably my easiest A-Level, but someone else might find it their hardest. After a certain point it comes down to the individuals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads