Canterbury, Kent University - Do you like it there? Watch

MathematicsKiller
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm thinking of applying to Kent for Mathematics since the entry requirements are decent. Although, I've never been or heard much about Kent University.

I'd just like some information. How is everything like? Is it nice? Are you happy in Canterbury? What is the quality of the teaching?
metalthrashin'mad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Teaching obviously depends on course. I think it is good for philosophy, but I would have no idea for history, for example.
Accomodation is very nice, again though, I can only talk about Parkwood houses and flats. Out of the people I have spoken to at Darwin and Eliot they like their accomodation too.
I absolutely love Canterbury and wish I could stay there all year round, it is so scenic and beautiful with a lovely town centre about 25 minutes walk away.
I don't go clubbing due to money/lack of interest, but apparently both clubs are poor. I have been to the venue on campus and that's pretty poor.
Saying that, if you are in Parkwood you can ALWAYS find a house party to go to, just walk around at night and people will be happy to let you join them, more so in the first couple of weeks.
Can't say about the library, I have never taken a book out, but I go there to study if I can't concentrate in my room, and it is good.
Overall I love it here, and am very much looking forward to starting next term next week!
fran.ha
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Canterbury is great if you're not a hardcore clubber. Its quirky, beautiful, has great history and fantastic restaurants. If you're a pubber, then there are loads of different types, like the Lady Luck if you want something a bit alternative, old man pubs and young people pubs. There are pubs literally EVERYWHERE.

The uni is good and the library is pretty good (although there are not enough computers ) but the teaching depends on the course.

Its nice that its less than an hour from London, too.
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
good pubs, small town, plenty of uni students in the town. Teaching for comp sci isnt amazing but could also be a lot worse

close to london and the sea side towns arent to shabby
shanaynay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
good pubs, small town, plenty of uni students in the town. Teaching for comp sci isnt amazing but could also be a lot worse

close to london and the sea side towns arent to shabby
hey there hope you dont mind me butting in... noticed you mentioned computer science, thats what I've applied for at Kent and was hoping to get around to firming it tomorrow. Would just like to get your thoughts on the course, if you dont mind, especially seeing as you said the teaching isn't that great. My other main option is Surrey, even though the uni is rated better for CS, I'm more drawn to Kent, but dont want to have any regrets, you know.

Thanks in advance
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shanaynay)
hey there hope you dont mind me butting in... noticed you mentioned computer science, thats what I've applied for at Kent and was hoping to get around to firming it tomorrow. Would just like to get your thoughts on the course, if you dont mind, especially seeing as you said the teaching isn't that great. My other main option is Surrey, even though the uni is rated better for CS, I'm more drawn to Kent, but dont want to have any regrets, you know.

Thanks in advance
Its not bad tbh, and i guess at every uni you will have some crap teachers. Kent has people like barnes and kolling and they are the 2 best teachers you can have tbh! Its a shame they dont teach other things.

The course is quite up to date - in the sense that the modules teach recent topics (but sometimes teach details you just dont care about)

id say anyone would enjoy it at kent - plus if u get stuck give me a shout
shanaynay
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
Its not bad tbh, and i guess at every uni you will have some crap teachers. Kent has people like barnes and kolling and they are the 2 best teachers you can have tbh! Its a shame they dont teach other things.

The course is quite up to date - in the sense that the modules teach recent topics (but sometimes teach details you just dont care about)

id say anyone would enjoy it at kent - plus if u get stuck give me a shout
haha awesome thanks man.. i'll remember that
BUBBLE12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i went to look like Kent the other day, and it was okay, but i live locally so cannot imagine going there! Canterbury (the main city) is lovely, not huge or anything but has everything you could need (topshop, boots etc.) and has two main clubs, it did have three but one was recently closed down! there alright, i wouldnt say that canterbury boasted an amazing night life or anything but from older friends ive got that actually went to Kent they seemed to think that Kitchen parties etc. were more popular!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise