Is the only reason people say we can't live forever... Watch

tite23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
...because no one (that we know of) has done it before? I'm NOT saying living forever is something we should pin our hopes on or strive for or anything, though I'm also NOT saying it's a bad idea. But that's not the point.

Also, to put things simply, isn't the "key" to immortality simply "not dying"? I mean, if you just... don't die, you won't stop living. Or (I'm in grade school and have yet to take biology) is there something in us that runs out as we age, or something in us that accumulates as we age, so that eventually our bodies have to perish?

I'm simply curious
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am completely not a scientist and fail at anything science related. So this is going to be wrong or something, but the basic concept should be ok.

I read somewhere, notk nowing is this was true.. or anything like that, that because of the 'hayflicks limit' it is impossible to us to live past a certain age. Something about cells only being able to divide a certain number of times.. something like that.
tite23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tommyjw)
Something about cells only being able to divide a certain number of times.. something like that.
That makes sense, and I think I've heard it before, as well. I wonder what prevents from dividing after a certain age? It must be they run out of something, or something accumulates in them.
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. Given that noone's managed over around 114 years old (certified, at any rate), it's a big leap between that figure and forever, which presupposes that our bodies become too frail. Without substantial scientific intervention, I doubt people could live beyond 200, let alone forever.

Even then, it raises questions about whether you'd want to and what state of decrepitude you'd be in.
Jacktri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought cell replication got slower as you got older hence why people age and die.
Blueflare
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
See what happens is that your cells simply get bored and quit living.
I mean wouldn't you get bored, just dividing, and dividing and dividing again? It's boring.
If you entertain your cells you will live forever.
RequiemForADream
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Blueflare)
See what happens is that your cells simply get bored and quit living.
I mean wouldn't you get bored, just dividing, and dividing and dividing again? It's boring.
If you entertain your cells you will live forever.
Always read to your cells, play them music, take them to shows, take them absailing, play monopoly, teach them how to tapdance and remember to sit down with them and watch a bit of telly.
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Lyndon1504
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As you age your cells pick up imperfections, and every time a cell duplicates, it picks up more and more of these imperfections, until it has too many and it (and you) dies.
It's theoretically possible to live forever if you can counteract that, but good luck doing it.
Ayshizzle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tite23)
That makes sense, and I think I've heard it before, as well. I wonder what prevents from dividing after a certain age? It must be they run out of something, or something accumulates in them.
There's a protein that caps your DNA called a telomere, imagine it's a piece of thread; everytime your DNA divides it gets shorter and shorter until there's none of it left and your cells can no longer divide= death.
Lyndon1504
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
i'd pos you if i could. ++++ for TED.
Blueflare
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
to put things simply, isn't the "key" to immortality simply "not dying"? I mean, if you just... don't die, you won't stop living.
Damn I've been trying to think for the last few hours what that reminded me of and now I remember!

In a book by Douglas Adams, he explained how people could fly. You jump off something, throw yourself at the ground, and miss.

I love this logic. :rofl:
green chica
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
...because no one (that we know of) has done it before? I'm NOT saying living forever is something we should pin our hopes on or strive for or anything, though I'm also NOT saying it's a bad idea. But that's not the point.

Also, to put things simply, isn't the "key" to immortality simply "not dying"? I mean, if you just... don't die, you won't stop living. Or (I'm in grade school and have yet to take biology) is there something in us that runs out as we age, or something in us that accumulates as we age, so that eventually our bodies have to perish?

I'm simply curious
so long as we live on earth, immorality is impossible. radioactivity is bad in high doses, but we are exposed to it all the time in smaller doses. radioactivity is what makes us age. so, the question might be how do we get rid of radioactivity? well, we can't unless we decide to ruin the planet, because radioactivity is what generates heat in the earth. and, well, if there's no heat on earth there's no life to begin with, much less immortality. it's one of the things where it's both good and bad.
tite23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blueflare)
Damn I've been trying to think for the last few hours what that reminded me of and now I remember!

In a book by Douglas Adams, he explained how people could fly. You jump off something, throw yourself at the ground, and miss.

I love this logic. :rofl:
That's hilarious. I love Adams
spacepirate-James
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
oxygen also kills us over time......
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (206)
40.08%
No - but I will (31)
6.03%
No - I don't want to (35)
6.81%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (242)
47.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise