Cursing = Adult Tantrum Watch

da_nolo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have been able to observe rather interesting situations.

When a child throws a tantrum or cries for not getting his/her way, it normally is due to them unable to speak their mind and reason through a problem. They become frustrated and do not desire to talk in a way that allows easy understanding.

When an adult becomes frustrated and mostly angered. He/she may lean to using curse words when talking. They seem to - at times- fill in spots at which an individual pauses or stutters. More curse words tend to fly the more someone is frustrated and upset. Those who choose to curse usually make the situation worse and are hard to understand at times.

such words are used when an adult does not know how to convey their emotions or problem in speech. similar to a child's tantrum.

Is cursing an adult tantrum?
RequiemForADream
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought this was general knowledge...
AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bslforever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. generally because curse words have meaning and add emphasis to whatever the person is saying.

Unless the person is just cursing and not using any intelligible language. Even then, its more expressive than a child's tantrum that exists through the inability of the child to express him/herself otherwise.
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pretty much.
screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by da_nolo)
Is cursing an adult tantrum?
To quote the wise Stephen Fry
"Swearing is a really important part of one's life and it would be impossible to imagine going through life without swearing and without enoying swearing.

There used to be mad, silly, prissy people who would say swearing is a sign of a poor vocabulary as such; utter nonsense! The people I know who swear the most tend to have the widest vocabularies!

The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just a ****ing lunatic."

A swearword is a word. It's a string of phonemes with certain meanings and connotations attatched to it. You can't assign intellect to any word over another, some words may be more common, yes, but that doesn't make them subject matter for the thick, simply more thick people use them in their speech.

To say that a certain word denotes lack of vocabulary or intelligence, or "an inability to articulate themselves" is nonsense, it is simply prude, to think that one has refrained from using the entire spectrum of the english language for the sake of status is kind of mindblowing.

The most articulate and intelligent will speak with the most effective, expressive and context-appropriate words, if this happens to be a cuss word then so be it! It's the most effective choice!

Swear words are rich in context and history, and psychologically can be far more powerful and expressive a word to use, so why not? How on earth can you judge one's intellect on their choice of words?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads