The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

What's your subject?

I'm doing dual Honours and one subject is taught wonderfully and the other (Economics) is horrifically bad, so that plays a role.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Too late...I've firmed it :L Let the consequences fall where they may...but I'm doing English lit and classics - I've heard the classics in particular is great at Edinburgh
Reply 3
Yes, I've often heard from classmates taking Classics that it's fabulous. You'll have a great time!
I do classics as an outside course, yes it's great :smile:
Original post by ScholarsInk
What's your subject?

I'm doing dual Honours and one subject is taught wonderfully and the other (Economics) is horrifically bad, so that plays a role.

I'm a prospective applicant to Economics for 2012 entry.

Could you explain what exactly is bad about it? (and what good if anything?)
Reply 6
It's full of Scots.

Jokes.
Reply 7
Friends who did English and Classics really loved their subjects and Edinburgh is an amazing city so I think you've made a good choice! :biggrin: My one negative was going to be that the accommodation services staff are a bit crap e.g. not allocating rent payments properly, claiming you haven't paid when you have etc... but probably not relevant to you anyway!
Anyone have any thoughts on the quality of International Relations and Law courses? (As in Poli. Sci and Law)?
That's what I'm studying next year... I want to study German as my outside subject...
Reply 9
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
It's full of Scots.

No it isn't. :wink:
I go there.
Reply 11
hey can anyone say anything about the architecture department over there? is it good?
Reply 12
does anyone know what the shuttle bus is like between central area and kings buildings? Apparently it runs every 10 mins but is it really that reliable?
Original post by kfergie
does anyone know what the shuttle bus is like between central area and kings buildings? Apparently it runs every 10 mins but is it really that reliable?

http://www.ed.ac.uk/staff-students/students/shuttlebus is the shuttlebus timetable.

It is generally very accurate; they have multiple buses running and they're nearly always on time.

However, I should note it can be hard to get onto certain buses; the ones around lunch in particular are always crowded and often people will need to wait for the next bus.
Reply 14
yeh, the bus is often very busy, especially on the way to KB in the morning and at lunch

if you want to stand any chance of getting on then you need to get on at the central campus bus stop
Reply 15
Original post by jemrock
Hey :biggrin:

I hold an unconditional offers to both Edinburgh and St Andrews universities, and I'm struggling to make up my mind as the deadline draws ever nearer..

I was wondering if any students could share any of the negative aspects of their university experience with me to help get a balanced view of the uni?

Thanks so much :smile:

Trust me, you will never regret once you have your degree from University of Edinburgh.
Plus, you gonna enjoy a lot in george sq :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by ScholarsInk
What's your subject?

What's so bad about it?
Well you've firmed your offer now but if someone else has this choice to make ... I'd say if you've gone to a quieter school and are quiet yourself, maybe St Andrews would be better.

It's probably smaller and you might feel more like you matter there.

Edinburgh is a busy, stressful city.

You might think "Edinburgh has more to experience", but if you're quiet there's a good chance you won't take that opportunity (I don't honestly know whether there is that opportunity anyway), and all you'll be left with is a harder time getting good grades, at a bigger, less warm university.

I'm sure you can look up the drop out rates for courses yourself, but I know lots of quiet people who dropped out of or were asked to leave Edinburgh for poor grades.

Maybe look at what the courses involve at the unis too. Some have assessed presentations, some don't. Sure it might be good for you to try and get better at communicating, but if you're not that good, you don't really want to have assessed presentations which could drag your degree grade down. It's not purely about how clever you are or how good you are at the subject at a lot of unis.
Reply 18
Original post by problemsolver

Edinburgh is a busy, stressful city.

What makes Edinburgh a "stressful city"? And it isn't that busy at all, except during the summer months because of all the festivals.
Original post by Imprimatur
What makes Edinburgh a "stressful city"? And it isn't that busy at all, except during the summer months because of all the festivals.

I just mean it might be stressful for a quiet person who isn't used to living in a big city. The streets are quite busy compared to lots of places, especially around about the university area. St Andrews has a population of 16680, and Edinburgh a population of 486120 (got that from wikipedia). Also Edinburgh has more nightclubs/"trendy" bars from what I've seen, and St Andrews seems more chilled.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending