9.28%
Maybe? (10)
10.31%
ak137
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
In my opinion, its never justified. To kill civilians, which the UN VOWED TO PROTECT is unjust and cannot be justified by saying "he was Gaddafi's son, a Dictator's son derserves to die!" NO. He held no military rank so why kill him?

What gives NATO the right to kill civilians and portray it justifiable and humane?

For example, Al Quada (however you spell that) kills civilians in a rocket attack and its portrayed on the news, front headlines "terrorist org kills civilian children!"

Where as NATO, not only killed Gaddafi's son, but (maybe) a few of his YOUNG grandsons!
The news headlines goes "Gaddafi's son killed in NATO airstrike....and maybe some of his grandsons." notice the small print.

Also im aware there is another similar thread about, please vote in the poll.
jakemittle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Of course not...but something like this was always going to happen..NATO overstepped their mandate a long time ago when they started bombing Gaddafi's buildings which had nothing to do with their air forces..
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ak137)
In my opinion, its never justified. To kill civilians, which the UN VOWED TO PROTECT is unjust and cannot be justified by saying "he was Gaddafi's son, a Dictator's son derserves to die!" NO. He held no military rank so why kill him?

What gives NATO the right to kill civilians and portray it justifiable and humane?

For example, Al Quada (however you spell that) kills civilians in a rocket attack and its portrayed on the news, front headlines "terrorist org kills civilian children!"

Where as NATO, not only killed Gaddafi's son, but (maybe) a few of his YOUNG grandsons!
The news headlines goes "Gaddafi's son killed in NATO airstrike....and maybe some of his grandsons." notice the small print.

Also im aware there is another similar thread about, please vote in the poll.
To be fair in that compound was a command center that Gadaffi used to contact his troops directly. If someone is inside a military target then they are fair game. Its harsh but war is not a nice thing.

Yeah because alll we have heard is Gadaffis grandsons. No one knows anything about them
Rogercbinboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They didn't assassinate him though, he died in a bombing. Plenty of innocent casualties have died this way in Libya, I wouldn't consider Gaddafi's son any more important than the others.
chrislpp
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So they're killing children now, let's all proudly shout our national anthems. Aren't we just great liberators of the 3rd world.
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chrislpp)
So they're killing children now, let's all proudly shout our national anthems. Aren't we just great liberators of the 3rd world.
Whya re people acting like they intentionally went around looking for his family members to kill?

The situation was obviously the son was caught up in a bombing intended for some other purpose.

There is no reason to justify killing him as he was not the intended target.
Tenbinza
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
NATO's actions are completely understandable.

They are bombing strategic locations to hamper Gaddafi's massacre of the Libyan people. When you bomb places - people are going to die. When you bomb strategic locations, important people are going to die. Gaddafi's son was part of the regime, he knew he was fighting a war and he selfishly kept his three young children with him, resulting in their deaths.

NATO have an absolutely justifiable argument - while bombing an important target a leader of the regime was killed. If he kept his kids with him that was in no way Nato's fault.
Square
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
this is a terrible tragedy, yet gadaffi has been offered exile which he has refused and ceasefires which he has broken.

it was only a matter of time before something like this happened, and now sadly we are going to have guardianistas up in arms hating on the nato mission. It's a personal tragedy for him, but in terms of politics its probably going to earn him some support and sympathy internationally which is really not what is needed right now.

NATO didnt start by targetting gadaffi but now their hand has been forced.

I really hate it when these things happen, because of the actions of Gadaffi the nato forces have been forced into doing something they dont want to do but have to as a last resort, and people hate on the nato. Similar to taliban using human shields in afghanistan then people complaining to our troops that civilians get injured in firefights as if any of these armchair critics would have the balls to just stand there and await a storm of bullets.
ak137
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
To be fair in that compound was a command center that Gadaffi used to contact his troops directly. If someone is inside a military target then they are fair game. Its harsh but war is not a nice thing.

Yeah because alll we have had was Gadaffis grandsons. No one knows anything about them
True, but its up to the Libyans to what they do with their dictator, take Egypt for example, Husni may be facing the death penalty. its better for it to come from Egyptians than a foreign force.

(Original post by chrislpp)
Yeah. Now lets all shout our anthems at the top of our voices because the civilians getting killed are less humane than us! /sarcasm

On a serious note, i agree with you and there needs to be more people like you, who consider any human life as a life, whether poor, rich, arab or western.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its war, people die, grow up
Fusilero
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tenbinza)
NATO's actions are completely understandable.

They are bombing strategic locations to hamper Gaddafi's massacre of the Libyan people. When you bomb places - people are going to die. When you bomb strategic locations, important people are going to die. Gaddafi's son was part of the regime, he knew he was fighting a war and he selfishly kept his three young children with him, resulting in their deaths.

NATO have an absolutely justifiable argument - while bombing an important target a leader of the regime was killed. If he kept his kids with him that was in no way Nato's fault.
Indeed. That's if the grandkids existed or were even Gaddafi's - he pulled a similar ploy back in the 80s where he post-humously made it look like he had adopted a child killed by American Air Strikes for public sympathy.

It's a tragedy, the whole bloody affair is, but the alternative was much worse. Well, there were other alternatives like not arming the regime, not rehabilitating the regime and not allowing him to establish himself so deeply into state apparatus but those weren't taken at the time and are no longer options.
jndk109
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
nato has the right to bomb anywhere that they consider as a threat to other people if that be military tanks or the leader who initiated the problems. I dont think it's justified but it was obvioulsy a mistake they were targeting gaddafi himself to save the unjustified deaths of civillians.
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No I don't think it's justified as much as I hate the old bugger he does make a good though ironic point here

watch from 5:40
ilovedubstep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Its war, people die, grow up
Have you seen the thousands of libyans on the streets now? They are attacking the British embassy in Tripoli. This is going to have huge consequences in the war, we are now the baddies essentially.
ibysaiyan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I strongly condemn against the killing of unarmed civilians.In this case be it the grandsons of Gadhaffi.If anything Gadhafi will be in full vengeance over this... who will pay the price? innocent civilians...

The west will be eventually seen as the baddies just as the previous poster before me kindly mentioned.
Student2806
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is he actually dead though?
No independent verification has been given, and all we have at the moment is the word of a regime desperately clinging to power and likely to do anything to undermine NATO. This "assassination" seems to have done just that...
milkytea
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ibysaiyan)
I strongly condemn against the killing of unarmed civilians.In this case be it the grandsons of Gadhaffi.If anything Gadhafi will be in full vengeance over this... who will pay the price? innocent civilians...

The west will be eventually seen as the baddies just as the previous poster before me kindly mentioned.
He was already in "full vengeance" long before NATO got involved... he was about to kill thousands of civilians.

Whatever your opinion of NATO's actions is, I would warn against sympathising with Gaddafi or his family too much over this. What about all the families who lost members at the hands of Gaddafi's troops? The condemnation of NATO seems almost stronger than the condemnation of Gaddafi himself, which is absolutely ludicrous.

For my part, I believe the fact that some NATO bombings killed several Libyan rebels far more tragic than this. Especially considering that this story does not seem to be widely accepted by independent sources.
bircho
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a real shame Assad, Ahmadinejad, Saleh and the rest of the gang hadn't stopped bye for a cheeky shisha sesh.
bestofyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ilovedubstep)
Have you seen the thousands of libyans on the streets now? They are attacking the British embassy in Tripoli. This is going to have huge consequences in the war, we are now the baddies essentially.
And rightly so, you where never the 'goodies' in the first place. What did you think that you where rushing into Libya on a white horse ready to overthrow a great evil?

The west has no place in Liyba, Africa is for Africans.

What was happening in Libya was that a civil war was about to erupt, and thats whats happening now. There are civil wars all over the world, it's just that the west happened to dispise the leader of one side of this war...
User570431
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
OP should of just had these poll options
1)yes
2)no
3)No opinion

:facepalm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.14%
No - but I will (41)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (281)
46.6%

Watched Threads