should I apply with low predicted IB scores or wait a year? Watch

Norway_lover
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So right now I am a junior and I really want to apply to Oxford. I am in the IB program but I am afraid when I apply my predicted scores wont be what they require (slacked off a little this year I know all the material I just didnt try on tests and stuff:rolleyes:). Therefore they wont give me the day of time. But I know that when comes time I'll study for my exams I will do fine and score high. So should I apply a year later?

If I do I would be in my freshman year of college. I already kind of know where I am going. I love the school but I also want to attend Oxford if given the chance. Would it be okay to wait a year and then apply? Im not exactly taking a gap year...

I am also taking AP exams. But I am only taking 3 since there is only three exams that apply to my junior courses. But one of them is a science which isnt related to anything I would be applying to at oxford.. So really I would only have 2 exams which isnt enough to apply to oxford...

And then I am also taking my SATs next weekend (second time taking it) does Oxford look at all your SAT scores or just one? I will also be taking the June SAT subject tests (English, World and US history) so those would actually apply to something I would study at oxford....

So yeah. long story short can/should I wait a year to apply to oxford.
Thanks!
Norway_lover
Rep:
?
oh btw I am a US student.
And originally I was thinking about applying to oxford this fall (oct 2011) but now im thinking about oct 2012..
thanks for your imput!
Norway_lover
Rep:
?
Also say if I were to be accepted to Oxford when I apply oct 2012 would I enter oxford as a "freshman"/First year??

because chances are, when I start my first year in college in the US I will get sophomore standing from all the AP/IB credits (hopefully!)
so by the time I enter oxford I would have just finished my sophomore credits so would i enter oxford as a 3rd year so to speak.
and of course this is all hypothetical. haha
Dogatonic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why don't you just work harder so your IB predicted score improves? UK universities really don't care at all about AP/SAT for applicants doing the IB and I doubt there would be any benefit in letting them know about it.

UK universities don't use "credits" and the individual course will vary from university to university, so it is extremely unlikely that you would be able to transfer into Oxford in your third year if you were at another university.
Ari Ben Canaan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why dont you email the University directly with your queries :

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/contact_details.html
Norway_lover
Rep:
?
well its the end of the year. there isnt much I can do...
Dogatonic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The UCAS deadline for Oxford applications is in October, so assuming you return to school in July after the summer holidays (correct me if I'm wrong, don't know very much about US schooling) there are still 3 months for you to improve your performance in tests. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think you're going to be predicted as of now?
Norway_lover
Rep:
?
no. school doesnt end until mid june but once AP/IB testing starts (which is like this week) we dont really do work therefore no grades.

we go back to school in september... I do fine when i study for big exams like SATs, APs, IBs etc. I just dont like my classes (teachers) so I dont try as hard. I know all the materials I just didnt work as hard on tests and projects.
Ill prob get predicted scores of 4s or 5s. maybe a six. But I know myself and I think i can get mostly 7s and some 6s
Kiitherine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not certain how they would treat an international student but I am guessing they may be more lenient as you will be paying top fees to study there compared to the home students. There is no way you will even be interviewed if your predictions total <39 points and your higher levels are not 7,7,6 or better.
You need to contact admissions of the college(yes choose your college now, you stand a better chance of getting in and if that college does not like you at interview come November, you will be 'pooled' so other colleges can view your application). Ask admissions whether they mind if you take a gap year before going to university, tell them what you plan to do in it(say something that will make it sound productive and v keen e.g volunteering abroad/ working to fund my further studies. Some colleges will mind but others are more relaxed about this matter. Ask whether they mind if you apply the cycle after you finish school(but don't tell them your reason why(poor predictions). Take note that if you do apply AFTER receiving your IB grades, you need to keep a good relationship with your form tutor as they will need to write a reference for you.

I have friends who did not apply to any unis while at school knowing that they were unlikelyto get into the uni of their choice with their predictions and then applied in their gap year(with success).None of them however achieved 7 in any subject. Not saying that you can't make that grade but if you haven't consistently achieved 7s while studying IB, then how can you be so sure that you will attain it in your finals? Its easy to go from a 4 to 6 but to go from 5 to 7 is HARD! You need to have only lost 2/3 points max in each of the courseworks(orals, written essays), get 3 points in the core(which is difficult as the IB LOVE to mark DOWN) and major 7 in over half the exams in that subject. The calibre of a grade 7 student is a different league to grade 5.
I don't want to be harsh, however do you consider yourself a suitable Oxford candidate??! For whatever reason your predictions are poor, those grades reflect your performance over the two years and suggest that you are not grasping the material well. Oxford has the BEST STUDENTS, thus the terms are intense and very very hectic with essays set everyday and a fast pace of learning. Will you cope with this if you are not coping with IB?
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just get good IB grades this time round. Just try your hardest - if you really want Oxford you are going to have to work. Not next year, but now. You will need 38-40 (bearing in mind some people have offers of 42), with 6s and 7s at HL. Many people will apply with those grades and are rejected, so if you are only looking to achieve 4s & 5s this time round, how can you know you'll get enough next time?
You definitely won't be able to transfer into the 2nd/3rd year, you'd have to start again the 1st year.
Norway_lover
Rep:
?
the problem is not if i can achieve majority 7s and 6s because ive taken a look at past exams and whenever my teachers give out assignments to answer the IB questions I do well on them.
its just that i know I wont get the predicted scores that I need therefore I want to wait a year so that I will actually have my scores when I apply to oxford. And its not like i am solely relying on IB scores and thats why im taking a gap year. No. ill actually be attending a University in the States but I also want to give Oxford a try.

my real question is could I apply to oxford even if I am a first year US university student. I know they will probably make enter as a first year if i do get into oxford but thats fine because I would still be the same age as all other first years. (19) But would they be okay with the fact that I am not a hs student applying but a first year student?
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kiitherine)
Not certain how they would treat an international student but I am guessing they may be more lenient as you will be paying top fees to study there compared to the home students.
No, they won't. As you said, they simply want the best students. Admissions is on quality alone, fee level doesn't come into it. Oxford isn't that short of money.

There is no way you will even be interviewed if your predictions total <39 points and your higher levels are not 7,7,6 or better.
Absolutely correct. If you can't hit this level, preferably with some margin to spare, don't waste your time applying.

I don't want to be harsh, however do you consider yourself a suitable Oxford candidate??!.... , thus the terms are intense and very very hectic with essays set everyday [I'd say "at least every week" :sheep:]and a fast pace of learning. Will you cope with this if you are not coping with IB?
Agreed.

:sheep:
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Norway_lover)
But would they be okay with the fact that I am not a hs student applying but a first year student?
Yes; but if you get to interview they will probably expect a better showing from you than they would from a High School student, to be considered for a place.

:sheep:
Ivanka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dogatonic)
Why don't you just work harder so your IB predicted score improves? UK universities really don't care at all about AP/SAT for applicants doing the IB and I doubt there would be any benefit in letting them know about it.
I don't think you are right. I have a friend who got an offer from Oxford which contained both IB and Maturita requirements (he studies for both). True, he wasn't from the US, but I don't think it makes a difference if you decide to sit more exams they take into account.
MajorMajor
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is no way you will even be interviewed if your predictions total <39 points and your higher levels are not 7,7,6 or better.
I beg to differ, I was accepted with 39 predicted and 7, 6, 6 at HL. Well, that didn't include the core points for we didn't have predicted EE and TOK grades at our school, but anyways, you definitely can get in with just one 7.

If I were to suggest anything, the crucial part is the addmission test. My TSA result secured me a PPE offer, even though my interviews were far from perfect. At the same time, my friend who was predicted straight 7s but got a mediocre TSA score wasn't even invited for an interview...
Katak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my real question is could I apply to oxford even if I am a first year US university student. I know they will probably make enter as a first year if i do get into oxford but thats fine because I would still be the same age as all other first years. (19) But would they be okay with the fact that I am not a hs student applying but a first year student?
My suggestion is that you wait for your results before you make any decisions. I'm assuming you already have a place at a US university - if so, good, you have a back up if you don't end up doing that well in your exams. Remember that some subjects (like languages) are 50% coursework. If you've done well in the IAs, I think your teachers should've predicted you grades that reflect how well you've done in what actually counts towards your final grades, and not based on random class activities or whatever.

If, however, come June you notice you meet and exceed Oxford requirements (40< total points), I would perhaps suggest not going to your US uni (that's awfully expensive anyway, isn't it?) and take a gap year. Do something that will make you a more appealing candidate - get relevant work experience, volunteer, travel, or do whatever else would make you a better candidate for studying your subject. If you think a year in a US uni would benefit your application, do that.

Of course, even with perfect grades you might not even get an interview if you do poorly on entrance exams (like mentioned already) or if your reference or personal statement is unimpressive. It is a risk. If you truly think a course at Oxford is the thing for you, I think that's a worthy risk to take. HOWEVER, if you'd be equally happy (happier) at wherever you're going in the US, perhaps you should stick to that. There's always postgraduate courses too.
Norway_lover
Rep:
?
in the states you have to decide on what school you are going to by early May (send in deposit and such)
plus when people usually find out about their acceptance (usually Dec for Early applicants or March for regular) people
and since we dont get our scores until July it would be too late to decide whether or not to take a gap year....

=(
mishieru07
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
in the states you have to decide on what school you are going to by early May (send in deposit and such)
plus when people usually find out about their acceptance (usually Dec for Early applicants or March for regular) people
and since we dont get our scores until July it would be too late to decide whether or not to take a gap year....

=(
I think part of your post was cut off, but isn't it possible to forfeit your deposit? I'm pretty sure your college would be alright with it, considering the number of people who jump ship after getting off another school's waitlist every year.

If your predicted grades are really far off what Oxford typically asks of candidates (38-40 including core points, 6s & 7s in HLs), I'd suggest either a) Working hard and pulling up your predicted grades to that level or b) Take a gap year/ be a freshman at a US college and apply in October 2012 with your IB results. I'm not sure how true this is, but my tutors said a sure-fire way to get yourself a rejection without an interview is to apply with predicted grades below what Oxford requires. This is especially true if you intend to apply for a course that cuts a large proportion of candidates before interview, like E&M, Law and PPE.

If you're just slightly off though (eg 1-2 points), you could take a gamble and just apply. If your intended course has a admissions test (eg TSA, HAT, LNAT), you might be able to compensate by doing well. I suspect they'll still reject you outright on the basis of predicted grades though. Oxford won't cut you any slack simply because you're an international (I say that as one myself).

Another point is that Oxford (and UK universities) are solely concerned about academic potential. Even if you intend to apply post-results, I'd still advise working hard now because this could impact your tutor's referral. Also, Oxford tends to consider one's entire academic history and not just your final results. A poor GPA could hurt your chances IMO (albeit to a lesser extent if you're applying post-results).

I've seen some really bright people who were predicted straight-As (A levels) / close to 45 points (IB) unexpectedly stumble - results are not guaranteed and can be unpredictable at times. From what my friends have told me, IB is not a walk in the park, and as your coursework counts towards your final grade, you need consistent effort to do well. I'm not questioning your capability to do well in the IB, but seriously, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Just my two cents.
qwertyuiop1993
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mishieru07)
I think part of your post was cut off, but isn't it possible to forfeit your deposit? I'm pretty sure your college would be alright with it, considering the number of people who jump ship after getting off another school's waitlist every year.

If your predicted grades are really far off what Oxford typically asks of candidates (38-40 including core points, 6s & 7s in HLs), I'd suggest either a) Working hard and pulling up your predicted grades to that level or b) Take a gap year/ be a freshman at a US college and apply in October 2012 with your IB results. I'm not sure how true this is, but my tutors said a sure-fire way to get yourself a rejection without an interview is to apply with predicted grades below what Oxford requires. This is especially true if you intend to apply for a course that cuts a large proportion of candidates before interview, like E&M, Law and PPE.

If you're just slightly off though (eg 1-2 points), you could take a gamble and just apply. If your intended course has a admissions test (eg TSA, HAT, LNAT), you might be able to compensate by doing well. I suspect they'll still reject you outright on the basis of predicted grades though. Oxford won't cut you any slack simply because you're an international (I say that as one myself).

Another point is that Oxford (and UK universities) are solely concerned about academic potential. Even if you intend to apply post-results, I'd still advise working hard now because this could impact your tutor's referral. Also, Oxford tends to consider one's entire academic history and not just your final results. A poor GPA could hurt your chances IMO (albeit to a lesser extent if you're applying post-results).

I've seen some really bright people who were predicted straight-As (A levels) / close to 45 points (IB) unexpectedly stumble - results are not guaranteed and can be unpredictable at times. From what my friends have told me, IB is not a walk in the park, and as your coursework counts towards your final grade, you need consistent effort to do well. I'm not questioning your capability to do well in the IB, but seriously, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Just my two cents.
I swear Oxford don't look at GPA because it's not standardised? It just asks for SATS and APs on their website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.67%
No - but I will (106)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (648)
47.68%

Watched Threads