The Student Room Group

Auditions in the entertainment biz are racist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slavetosociety
FFS, you people are such idiots. Read the ****ing thread and then comment.

I think you'll find OP that you're the idiot. Casting for a film role is very different to just hiring for a job. A person of any race or gender can do a job, it is only based on their experience and skill, but for a film role the look of a person is equally as important.

If the entertainment world is so racist, why were black actors considered for the role of James Bond?
Reply 21
The entertainment industry is different to other industries. For the sake of authenticity you do actually need certain characters to be of certain races. Whereas in most other lines of work a persons race has nothing to do with how well they do the job.

In entertainment race (whether you like it or not) will have an effect on how well a story is told. And so will have an affect on how well the person does the job.
FFS, you people are such idiots. Read the ****ing thread and then comment.

What are you struggling to grasp here?? Of course certain roles require a certain sort of person. If someone was to play Martin Luther King, obviously they would need to be black, seeing as Martin Luther King himself was black. It's not racist, merely common sense.
Reply 23
You are missing the point here like the rest who posted....

If we're missing the point, do feel free to educate us. I really hoped that the fact that pretty much everyone commenting disagrees with your ridiculous post would open your eyes to the fact that it makes no sense, but clearly I was mistaken.

'Racism' has nothing to do with the fact that films and other entertainment media are mostly visually-based; in addition to this, I think you'll find that many characters are created specifically with a specific skin colour, gender, age, etc. in mind, which of course includes non-white people.
Reply 24
Watch Ceebeebies sometime , which seems to tick every UK minority box, and tell me again that the entertainment industry is particularly racist. Or listen to the radio and count the number of black singers on there.
Reply 25
OP - outside of historical roles/roles where a person of a certain description would clearly be inappropriate, do you have any examples of racist selection processes?

I obviously agree that it would be daft to have a black Hitler/a white Black Panther/etc, but I think the OP is saying that they've seen racial criteria used just to sell regular products and the like. If the OP has some evidence of this, it would be an interesting point.
The entertainment industry is in no way racist, take a look at the BBC for example, there are a far higher proportion of ethnic minority people working for the BBC than there actually are in Britain. Producers cast roles to be accurate, if they're doing a play about neo-Nazis or the KKK for example, obviously they're not going to cast a black person to play the role, and likewise if they were doing a play about African tribes they're not going to cast a white guy. It's no different to asking for a woman to play the role of a female character.
how about will smith in I am Legend. the books character is a white anglo-german blond haired blued eyed person. will smith cant be much further from that.
oh lawdy
I don't think they're racist at all. Some roles simply demand actors with specific characteristics.

In Rocky, the role of Apollo Creed was originally given to a tall actor, but he was replaced by a much shorter one simply because it didn't look right.

That doesn't make Stallone 'height-ist'.
Reply 30
Ah so race and skin colour does matter in the entertainment biz!
Hence my point.
In any normal job, selection process is not based on race or skin colour or otherwise that company would be sued for discrimination etc.

Well duh.

We are not going to see a black Queen or a white Martin Luther king. It would make no sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending