Don't know what to do about the dog next door.. Watch

insignificant
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So next door have a blonde Labrador.. When it was a puppy it used to escape through the hedge into our garden trying to find one of us, or it used to walk out the gate, they didn't bother shutting it sometimes.. And now it's older I dunno if they've just lost their love for it because it's an adult but they just put it in their backyard for a few hours on end and there's no grass it's just concrete, and I can hear it crying I don't know what to do, their kids love the dog , I see them playing with it after school, but it's not right to leave it in a concrete backyard with no shade for 2/3 hours surely?
proud nd luvin it
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by insignificant)
So next door have a blonde Labrador.. When it was a puppy it used to escape through the hedge into our garden trying to find one of us, or it used to walk out the gate, they didn't bother shutting it sometimes.. And now it's older I dunno if they've just lost their love for it because it's an adult but they just put it in their backyard for a few hours on end and there's no grass it's just concrete, and I can hear it crying I don't know what to do, their kids love the dog , I see them playing with it after school, but it's not right to leave it in a concrete backyard with no shade for 2/3 hours surely?
Couldn't you try to drop a hint to the owners that it is cruel to leave it there?

If that doesn't work, couldn't you let it into your garden secretly just for a bit, through the gate you mentioned?

Do your parents think it's bad, what they're doing?

But if it is really bad, and you don't know what else to do, you could always ring up the RSPCA, and see what they say?? Sorry not to be much help
insignificant
Rep:
?
(Original post by proud nd luvin it)
Couldn't you try to drop a hint to the owners that it is cruel to leave it there?

If that doesn't work, couldn't you let it into your garden secretly just for a bit, through the gate you mentioned?

Do your parents think it's bad, what they're doing?

But if it is really bad, and you don't know what else to do, you could always ring up the RSPCA, and see what they say?? Sorry not to be much help
Aw thanks it's ok well we don't talk to them, we hate them enough as it is.. Keep us up at all hours with the kids screaming and shouting at 2am.. Parents hate them .. Yeah once we ahem.. Stole it and took it in our house and gave it some water and food and then took it back round . I dunno.. It's hard because I know dogs cry a fair bit and im a soft touch but I wouldn't dream of leaving a dog in a concrete backyard.. I never see them take it for walks either..
proud nd luvin it
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aw thanks it's ok well we don't talk to them, we hate them enough as it is.. Keep us up at all hours with the kids screaming and shouting at 2am.. Parents hate them .. Yeah once we ahem.. Stole it and took it in our house and gave it some water and food and then took it back round . I dunno.. It's hard because I know dogs cry a fair bit and im a soft touch but I wouldn't dream of leaving a dog in a concrete backyard.. I never see them take it for walks either..
Do they leave it there when they go to work?

How did the dog seem when you stole it Did it seem healthy??
I heard that if the dog has a wet nose it is happy?? (not 100% about this though :') )

If you really have tried everything then, perhaps you could just call the RSPCA, and get them to come and have a look? I'm sure it's confidential, so your neighbours wouldn't know it was you. and besides, it's better to be safe than sorry

Laura2602
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does it have any water/housing for when it rains or gets too hot? Labs are pretty affectionate dogs and I know my labs would hate to be left on their own. If it was me I would phone the RSPCA or any other charity like that and get their professional opinion, its completely confidential too. I hate people who get puppies and decide they dont want them anymore when they are adults, they dont deserve to keep animals. Anyway hope this helps and keep us updated!
insignificant
Rep:
?
(Original post by proud nd luvin it)
Do they leave it there when they go to work?

How did the dog seem when you stole it Did it seem healthy??
I heard that if the dog has a wet nose it is happy?? (not 100% about this though :') )

If you really have tried everything then, perhaps you could just call the RSPCA, and get them to come and have a look? I'm sure it's confidential, so your neighbours wouldn't know it was you. and besides, it's better to be safe than sorry

I can't really remember if it's nose was wet but I think your right.I remember my dad once saying that when it escaped one time he said it's breath was absolutely disgusting .. I might ring them , just seems serious!
insignificant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laura2602)
Does it have any water/housing for when it rains or gets too hot? Labs are pretty affectionate dogs and I know my labs would hate to be left on their own. If it was me I would phone the RSPCA or any other charity like that and get their professional opinion, its completely confidential too. I hate people who get puppies and decide they dont want them anymore when they are adults, they dont deserve to keep animals. Anyway hope this helps and keep us updated!
It doesn't have any housing outside.. I don't know if it has any water, when I've had lunch I'll go outside and take a pic of where they keep it..Yeah looks like I'll ring the RSPCA.. It might not seem like it's hurting it but I just put myself in the position that if I had that dog I would love it to bits and be taking it to the local park and stuff, I wouldn't leave it alone for any longer than to nip to the shop for some milk or something in which case I would probably take it with me anyway..
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The 'wet nose' test doesn't always work. We have an Irish setter (who is exercised for a couple of hours a day, eats well, is loving and affectionate and well-loved, and completely healthy) and her nose is naturally dry - I've never owned an Irish setter who had a wet nose, and all of mine have been healthy, happy and well cared-for. I'm pretty sure Labradors are meant to have wet noses, but not all breeds are meant to and it's not a failsafe test

I'd ring the RSPCA - they won't take the dog away/etc unless it really needs doing, and it'd help sort out the situation. Locking a dog up or similar can be perfectly ethical provided you leave it with access to shade, food and water, but it doesn't sound like these people are taking that much care of it.
TheFlyingDutchman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends a lot on what the conditions are doesn't it ?

When I got my puppies the breeder advised that we crate them. To anyone that doesn't know what this mean it basically means putting them in a cage and I was quite shocked when she suggested it however she told me that anyone who tells me this is cruel is talking rubbish. She told me that when they get to around 18 weeks they can be crated for up to 6 hours at a time. This is a Kennel club approved breeder with 40 years of experience.

We did crate them at first but my mum never left them in a crate for more than 3 hours. Now they are grown up they can stay outside for ages. The breeder told us that because we had two dogs (not exactly going to get lonely) that they would be fine for up to 12 hours without us as long as we left them with water.

Despite the breeders advice I never like leaving them alone for a long time. Once when we went to Thorpe Park we were gone for about 12 hours but someone came and checked on them after 6 and spent a good half an hour with them and gave them water.

From what you are saying though I highly doubt what they are doing is bad enough for the RSPCA to take the dog away. How long is a few hours ? If it's 3 then I really don't think you can do anything. Dogs cry sometimes, once my mum had to take one of ours to the vet and the other one was alone for the first time in a long time for maybe an hour or two. The neighbour said she was whimpering the whole time.
Zionic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Could you ask your neighbours about the possibility of your family adopting in?

It seems he'll have a lovely life with your family looking after him.

I hope it all gets sorted and the dog gets a loving and caring home that he deserves. People who don't look after pets are scum.
Pheebs1201
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would avoid saying anything to them yourself as if you do call the RSPCA they will know it was you and it may cause problems. If you are truly concerned please call the RSPCA and let them deal with it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads