v3ng3anc3z
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
For a degree in Management

Anyone can compare them in terms of

1. Reputation in the UK
2. International reputation (I'm not from UK)
3. Social life (I'm not the party kind)

Thanks!
Freakonomics123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if your not party kind, then warwick is an option, but you have to choose LSE based on reputation, its far more internationally known than warwick so ur at an advantage already if you want to work in another country. And as far as employment prospects go, going to LSE your in London, so there are so many choices.
PercyChatsworth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In my opinion, LSE > Warwick on all counts but Warwick is still a very good university with very well-regarded programmes - less well known internationally but Warwick's international reputation is growing.

On point 3, LSE has so many international students that it is easy to make friends / find others from your home country as well as get involved in societies to broaden your social circle - also, as you are central London-based there is plenty to do that isn't around partying and drinking. Warwick has fewer internationals and the location in my opinion is less attractive, though many seem to like the campus and greenery.
therealOG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LSE all day, everyday for the reputation aspect. Saying that, Warwick won't really disadvantage you.
v3ng3anc3z
Rep:
?
Wow thanks alot guys for the input...

One more question, in the UK, is it true that people seems to value a econs degree much more than a business/management degree?
notepad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by v3ng3anc3z)

One more question, in the UK, is it true that people seems to value a econs degree much more than a business/management degree?
Yes, but the university is valued much more.

I.e. if you get an economics degree from a very good university (LSE/UCL) then excellent; however, a business degree from a "decent" uni is better than say an economics degree from a "bad" uni ...

all-in-all economics > business/management
therealOG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by v3ng3anc3z)

I wouldn't put Management and Business in the same boat. A Management degree is far more respectable than a Business degree (I'm talking about undergraduate studies here, and at top universities).

Generally Economics is seen as a more valuable degree but if you're doing Management at either LSE and Warwick then you've got nothing to worry about.
Mr. Roxas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had the opportunity to choose between the two for BSc Management and I chose Warwick. My Warwick degree lead me to a high-paying job at Citi, then on to a postgrad program at Brown University. My professors at Brown knew how respected Warwick was way before I got onto the program.

In our class (of 34 students at that time which was more than a decade ago), 16 were LSE admits. Three fellas had Oxbridge offers too. So, it's not an unusual case to choose Warwick over LSE.

Warwick's prestige is growing locally, and more so, internationally. Warwick feeds many top grad business schools in the US. There was never a year when Harvard Business School, arguably the best b-school on earth, had no Warwick grads in the class. And, UBS invites more Warwick grads than they do LSE grads. And, finally, the latest High Fliers' survey revealed that Warwick is 2nd after Cambridge as the most targeted uni by the largest number of leading employers in the UK. Here's the script from High fliers:

Employers’ On-Campus Recruitment Promotions

The top five universities targeted by the largest number of leading employers during the
2010-2011 recruitment round are Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, London (which for this
analysis refers to Imperial College, the London School of Economics and the University of
London) and Oxford (see Table 4.2). This is the first time that Cambridge has been ranked
ahead of Manchester, the most-targeted university for the last five years. These universities
have attracted the largest number of top employers for campus careers fairs, local
presentations or other university recruitment promotions. Other popular institutions with
employers include Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, Durham and Leeds.

I am not saying Warwick is superior to LSE. NOT at all. I think that when it comes to name recognition internationally, the reverse is true. Few UK brands can match LSE's brand power abroad. Not even a combined name of Imperial and UCL can topple it -- that despite LSE is often ranked outside of the top 30 in league tables that has worldwide coverage. However, when it comes to employability and opportunities after graduation, there is NO real proof that an LSE degree would be an advantage over a Warwick degree. Even the latest count of successful IB admits this year would show Warwick can head-to-head with LSE. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=4609

Therefore, when choosing between these two great institutions, one must look beyond the issue of prestige and employability. There are important factors that should come into play when deciding to spend the next 3 or 4 years of your college life. There is the factor of student culture. And, of course, there's environment, ambiance, fit and cost.
v3ng3anc3z
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr. Roxas)
I had the opportunity to choose between the two for BSc Management and I chose Warwick. My Warwick degree lead me to a high-paying job at Citi, then on to a postgrad program at Brown University. My professors at Brown knew how respected Warwick was way before I got onto the program.

In our class (of 34 students at that time which was more than a decade ago), 16 were LSE admits. Three fellas had Oxbridge offers too. So, it's not an unusual case to choose Warwick over LSE.

Warwick's prestige is growing locally, and more so, internationally. Warwick feeds many top grad business schools in the US. There was never a year when Harvard Business School, arguably the best b-school on earth, had no Warwick grads in the class. And, UBS invites more Warwick grads than they do LSE grads. And, finally, the latest High Fliers' survey revealed that Warwick is 2nd after Cambridge as the most targeted uni by the largest number of leading employers in the UK. Here's the script from High fliers:

Employers’ On-Campus Recruitment Promotions

The top five universities targeted by the largest number of leading employers during the
2010-2011 recruitment round are Cambridge, Warwick, Manchester, London (which for this
analysis refers to Imperial College, the London School of Economics and the University of
London) and Oxford (see Table 4.2). This is the first time that Cambridge has been ranked
ahead of Manchester, the most-targeted university for the last five years. These universities
have attracted the largest number of top employers for campus careers fairs, local
presentations or other university recruitment promotions. Other popular institutions with
employers include Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, Durham and Leeds.

I am not saying Warwick is superior to LSE. NOT at all. I think that when it comes to name recognition internationally, the reverse is true. Few UK brands can match LSE's brand power abroad. Not even a combined name of Imperial and UCL can topple it -- that despite LSE is often ranked outside of the top 30 in league tables that has worldwide coverage. However, when it comes to employability and opportunities after graduation, there is NO real proof that an LSE degree would be an advantage over a Warwick degree. Even the latest count of successful IB admits this year would show Warwick can head-to-head with LSE. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=4609

Therefore, when choosing between these two great institutions, one must look beyond the issue of prestige and employability. There are important factors that should come into play when deciding to spend the next 3 or 4 years of your college life. There is the factor of student culture. And, of course, there's environment, ambiance, fit and cost.
Wow, really really nice analysis.

Even though I know LSE is superior to warwick in terms of reputation, I feel that I belong more to Warwick... far from the hustle and bustle of London, where everything seems to be more peaceful and things tend to be cheaper too, something which I think suits me more.. So yeah... I really need to consider my options...
politicaljunk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Definitely LSE imo.
A level Az
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LSE...
ILIGAN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Warwick is better than LSE for Management, Accountancy, Marketing and perhaps, even for Finance.
Mr. Roxas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Warwick is probably better for management, accountancy and marketing, but I doubt if they're also better than LSE for finance. They're even at most, but I'd give the slight edge to LSE for finance.

I think that apart from economics and politics (and a slew of humanities programs and law), LSE also excels in finance. It is their forte (or one of).

Warwick, however, is world-class for maths and statistics. And they're quite strong for computer science, entrepreneurship and manufacturing.
Vozhak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LSE especially if you are international.
Mr. Roxas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Let me add that at Warwick, you will have plenty of opportunities to cross enroll at one of the business school's partner universities, foremost of which is Wharton Business School in the US.

Warwick Business School has exchange agreements with 60 institutions worldwide, including an undergraduate exchange programme with Wharton Business School, and is a member of Partnership in International Management, the prestigious group of international business schools.
http://www.wbs.ac.uk/about/partners/academic.cfm
v3ng3anc3z
Rep:
?
Well..

I think I will accept LSE in the end because I'm an international student...

And I think reputation matters the most in my case.

Hope I don't regret this decision!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads