Complicated situation, but really want to do dentistry... advice please Watch

Bright.Inspiration.
Badges: 10
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I applied for dentistry this year and got all rejections after 2 interviews. I applied for the pre-dental 6 year course as i don't have A level chemistry. This course is only offered by 4 unis. As i got rejected by manchester post interview, i can no longer apply there, and Dundee have changed their subject requirements so i can't reapply there either. This leaves me with only 2 unis to reaply to next year for dentistry.

Should I take a gap year and apply to these 2 universities, bearing in mind my chances will be very low? Or should I jsut go through UCAS extra and apply for a BSc and then apply for dentistry using graduate-entry?

Thoughts?
cobra2k10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you should take a gap year and then reapply! then you could apply for another 3 bsc courses for backups. Why can't you do A-level chem in the gap year and then apply for the 5 year course?..... will be very tough though.
Bright.Inspiration.
(Original post by cobra2k10)
you should take a gap year and then reapply! then you could apply for another 3 bsc courses for backups. Why can't you do A-level chem in the gap year and then apply for the 5 year course?..... will be very tough though.
most unis wont accept an a level that's been done after the regular 2 years at college...

For the pre-dental course both unis that i'd be eligible to apply for only have 5 places each.. thats 10 in total.. with over 100 applicants. Surely my chances are too low to reapply then..?

I'm so confused..
racheatworld
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bright.Inspiration.)
I applied for dentistry this year and got all rejections after 2 interviews. I applied for the pre-dental 6 year course as i don't have A level chemistry. This course is only offered by 4 unis. As i got rejected by manchester post interview, i can no longer apply there, and Dundee have changed their subject requirements so i can't reapply there either. This leaves me with only 2 unis to reaply to next year for dentistry.

Should I take a gap year and apply to these 2 universities, bearing in mind my chances will be very low? Or should I jsut go through UCAS extra and apply for a BSc and then apply for dentistry using graduate-entry?

Thoughts?
I'd advise against applying for a BSc and doing graduate-entry, as graduate-entry is also very competitive, and you'd be wasting time studying for a degree you haven't got your heart set on, whereas with a gap year you'll be only waiting a year to re-apply!

As I've previously stated, I'd take the gap year. Use the year off wisely, do lots and lots of work experience, voluntary work etc. Also, get feedback off Manchester and the other Uni you had an interview for - what was it that you were lacking in? Then work throughout the year to improve it.
If you use your year correctly and improve on the things you lacked first-time around, there should be no reason why it would be "too competitive" to apply again.
OrmondDrone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bright.Inspiration)
most unis wont accept an a level that's been done after the regular 2 years at college...
You might want to check that as a friend of mine did four A-levels in 2 years (excluding chemistry) than an A-level in chemistry in his gap year to apply for medicine - he got three interviews and two offers.

The 2 year rule seems to be to stop people spending more than 2 years studying the required A-level subjects - if you are only starting A-level chemistry in your gap year then this shouldn't apply to you but check with individual schools of dentistry.
Bright.Inspiration.
(Original post by racheatworld)
I'd advise against applying for a BSc and doing graduate-entry, as graduate-entry is also very competitive, and you'd be wasting time studying for a degree you haven't got your heart set on, whereas with a gap year you'll be only waiting a year to re-apply!

As I've previously stated, I'd take the gap year. Use the year off wisely, do lots and lots of work experience, voluntary work etc. Also, get feedback off Manchester and the other Uni you had an interview for - what was it that you were lacking in? Then work throughout the year to improve it.
If you use your year correctly and improve on the things you lacked first-time around, there should be no reason why it would be "too competitive" to apply again.
so you think i should reapply despite the fact that i can only apply to 2 unis..?
masodin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't get any offers last year as well. So, I applied to study dentistry in Europe and reapplied to UK unis one more time. Now I'm in Romania studying dentistry and next year I'm off to Newcastle. The dental course lasts 6 years in the EU while in the UK 5. So, basically this is a sort of a back-up, even if you don't get offers 2nd time round, you're still going to be a dentist. So this is a quite good route I'd say, better than doing a degree that you don't enjoy or planing a gap year and not being sure if you would get in your 2nd time applying. If you have any other questions feel free to ask
Bright.Inspiration.
(Original post by masodin)
I didn't get any offers last year as well. So, I applied to study dentistry in Europe and reapplied to UK unis one more time. Now I'm in Romania studying dentistry and next year I'm off to Newcastle. The dental course lasts 6 years in the EU while in the UK 5. So, basically this is a sort of a back-up, even if you don't get offers 2nd time round, you're still going to be a dentist. So this is a quite good route I'd say, better than doing a degree that you don't enjoy or planing a gap year and not being sure if you would get in your 2nd time applying. If you have any other questions feel free to ask
hey,
I sent you a pm... also, how does the whole transferring from romaina to england work..?
masodin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bright.Inspiration.)
hey,
I sent you a pm... also, how does the whole transferring from romaina to england work..?
Just PM-ed you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (278)
37.93%
No - but I will (53)
7.23%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (349)
47.61%

Watched Threads