Senior Physics Challenge 2011 Watch

Reminisce
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Right, for those in year 12 that have applied to this Summer School in the University of Cambridge... Just a thread to chat before and after we know who got in or not.

I think we'll find out the result in mid-May.

Anyhow, just out of interest, what GCSEs did you guys get and what was your score on the maths test?

GCSEs: 10A*s, 3As and and A in the FSMQ Additional Maths
Maths Test Score: 22/23
Awards: Gold in the Challenges, Olympiads (BMO...), etc. etc. etc. Gold in the AS Physics Competition...
awesomeollie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello There

Yeh can't wait to see if I got a place it looks like it'll be class

Haven't been told score on maths test how'd you find out what you got??

GCSE's: 7A*'s 5A's + an A at AS Science

Gold at senior maths challenge as well as BMOQ
Reminisce
Rep:
?
(Original post by awesomeollie)
Hello There

Yeh can't wait to see if I got a place it looks like it'll be class

Haven't been told score on maths test how'd you find out what you got??

GCSE's: 7A*'s 5A's + an A at AS Science

Gold at senior maths challenge as well as BMOQ
Your teacher would have your results
Emissionspectra
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
9A* 2A
awesomeollie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Reminisce)
Your teacher would have your results
ah well may have to check that out then cheers
=coldfire=
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I remember seeing that we would be told May, but can't find it now O_o Where is that, and was it mid May, not at the start?
awesomeollie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it was mid may that they said we'd be told
FrankB
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
13 A*s at GCSE
A in AS maths
23/23 on the maths test.
Maths challenges:
Junior: 115, 122
Intermediate: 115, 122, 130
Senior 105, 112
Medal in every maths olympiad that I've done so far. Top 50 in BMO1 this year.
I got taken to the UKMT Summer School based on my olympiad score in Year 10, and have taken part in the UKMT mentoring scheme ever since, hoping to qualify for the UK team for the 2012 IMO in Argentina
Gold Medal in the Chemistry olympiad, meaning ~ top 200 amongst Year 13s.
Never had a chance to do any Physics challenges/olympiads unfortunately..
mastermind_107
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
WOAH there's another thread about this thing. The one about last year's SPC has been sorta hijacked.

Hope everyone gets a place!

Does anyone know what the (approximate) ratio between numbers applying and numbers of places available is? ~ Just out of curiosity.
awesomeollie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just got an email saying ive been accepted Can't wait now
Sepharoth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got a place too Should be a blast
mastermind_107
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sepharoth)
I got a place too Should be a blast
Well done!

I got in too
kmccarthy17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey,
I've applied to and got in but when I try to register the pdf file wont load, has any1 else had this problem?
Reminisce
Rep:
?
I'm not going

Spoiler:
Show
But they didn't reject me They accepted me.

I'm going on the International Mathematical Summer School and they clash.
mastermind_107
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Reminisce)
I'm not going

Spoiler:
Show
But they didn't reject me They accepted me.

I'm going on the International Mathematical Summer School and they clash.
Hope you have fun on the maths school!
username791570
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got a place too - I got:

10A* 2A an A in AS Geography
Full marks on the entry test
No extras (apart from a bronze in one maths challenge I did a while back)

How is everyone finding the preliminary questions/reading? Can anyone who has been in the past give me an idea of what to expect (what kind of problems do we have to solve? Would you say it's harder than AS maths?) I have never been on anything like this, so I don't know what to expect!

Thanks.
Sepharoth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I took a look at the preliminary reading booklet, and it looks complicated as hell. Might have to sit down and decipher it one of these days
ROBBY7896
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Everyone,

I got a place too.

Some of you might have already noticed this, but going on the course means that we won't be able to go to the open days at Oxford. The physics challenge runs from July 4th-7th and the open days for Oxford are July 6th and 7th. I definitely want to have a look round Oxford and I was hoping some other people might be in the same position as me on the course. I thought, if other people agreed, that we could talk to Oxford and try to sort something out at Oxford for a group of people from the physics course either on the afternoon/evening of July 7th or July 8th. Does this sound like a good idea? And would anyone else be interesting in looking round Oxford on these days if its possible?

Cheers lads, and well done on getting accepted!!
Robbie
IchiCC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by george7378)
How is everyone finding the preliminary questions/reading? Can anyone who has been in the past give me an idea of what to expect (what kind of problems do we have to solve? Would you say it's harder than AS maths?) I have never been on anything like this, so I don't know what to expect!

Thanks.
I did it last year. AFAIK, the course content changes from year to year, but for us the problems were very much mechanics-centric. The knowledge needed to answer them was mostly M1, with possibly a little bit of M2. There were also some questions on angular motion. The latter half of the week mainly comprised of lectures and problem solving sessions on special relativity.

The questions were much harder than your run of the mill AS (and A-level) maths questions, imo. Certainly don't expect to be able to answer all of them (well, apart from you IMO/IPhO lot - you'll probably find them a doddle ). The lectures are very fast paced, especially compared to the fairly leisurely style of most sixth form teaching, so it's quite easy to fall behind and get lost in the dark if you don't stay on top of things.

All that aside, I had a fantastic time. My advice would be to really get involved in the more social aspect of things, make friends early on and enjoy a quality week in Cambridge! Try not to graft too hard, because the organisers are mental when it comes to how much work they think they can squeeze into a week.
mastermind_107
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ROBBY7896)
Hi Everyone,

I got a place too.

Some of you might have already noticed this, but going on the course means that we won't be able to go to the open days at Oxford. The physics challenge runs from July 4th-7th and the open days for Oxford are July 6th and 7th. I definitely want to have a look round Oxford and I was hoping some other people might be in the same position as me on the course. I thought, if other people agreed, that we could talk to Oxford and try to sort something out at Oxford for a group of people from the physics course either on the afternoon/evening of July 7th or July 8th. Does this sound like a good idea? And would anyone else be interesting in looking round Oxford on these days if its possible?

Cheers lads, and well done on getting accepted!!
Robbie
Congrats on your place!

And yes, I had also figured this out and so planned ahead - I sorted out a meeting with a current Physics undergraduate last month so that I could have a look around and ask some questions.

I'm not sure how much use asking for a tour in early July would be, unless you're able to get the admission tutors to stay around on July 7th (as that is a proper Oxford open day) because by then, all the students are on summer vacation. But hey, if you get anything organsied, well done and I hope you have a fab time at the Clarendon Lab after the SPC!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.74%
No - but I will (64)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (392)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed