Unpaid tuition fees Watch

jpoc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

This is a long shot, but I might as well ask to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

My tuition fees were not paid this year (4th year of Scottish MA) by the student loans company due to what appears to be an administrative error on their part. This is unresolved and I am waiting to hear back from the Student Finance England people within the week with regards to this.

All I can offer my university as reassurance is letters stating that I have been awarded the loan to pay tuition fees. The Student Loan website simply provides a statement whereby maintenance loans have been paid, and tuition fees remain unpaid.

My own **** up in this matter rests on my having not noticed that my fees had not been paid. An email from the university last month went unnoticed as I get a lot of spam and junk email as well as emails about outstanding library charges etc. I regret that I did not see this email sooner because now the deadline for Student Finance applications has ended.

I had assumed too easily perhaps that my fees had been finalised and paid as usual by Student Finance as I have letters stating this. Admittedly I remember feeling somewhat confused this time around when applying and I wanted further reassurance from the Student Finance website but decided after double checking everything that I had applied, been awarded the loan, and that it would show up on the statement when it was paid. When my maintenance loan came through I felt assured that my tuition fee loan must also have been finalised (this is where I start to question my somewhat lax logic in these matters). This type of thing usually sends me into fits of panic as I immediately fear that I am responsible and that I must now pay for my mistake by somehow getting the outstanding fees from elsewhere (credit card?).

Has anybody else had this type of problem with Student Finance not paying tuition fees?

I am quite certain that it is their error, and they have confirmed on the telephone that this would appear to be the case, but they refuse to email the university to confirm this.

I doubt anyone can help with this, as the problem still remains unclear, but if anyone has had a similar experience then that might be of some use. I suppose I just want to know whether I should be applying for a credit card or not right now, because if the fees are not paid soon then I can not graduate .

Apologies for rambling and unclear post,

Thankyou anyway,
shouldbeshot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So you have written confirmation that you should have your fees paid?

Best advice I can give is to take that confirmation into the university so they can copy it and have it on file. Its not your fault, you shouldn't be asked to pay them. But an official letter would probably suffice.
jpoc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have a written confirmation yes.

It states that: "A grant for tuition fees of £1820 will be paid directly to the university or college" but doesn't state by whom. It also states: "The amount we will pay directly to your university or college: £1820".

Next to this it says something else, though:

Tuition fee amount: £1820

Tuition fee loan to be paid to your university or college: £0.00

Amount you need to pay your university or college: £1820.00

So that suggests that I am liable to pay it. But that "we will pay directly to your university or college: 1820" is right next to this in a big black box.

It is the letter which states: "You must sign and return the enclosed declaration in the enckosed return envelope immediately". I have had no other letters since returning that envelope.

I don't know what the university will make of this, but I have sent them a copy of these letters. Unless I am misreading them, there appears to be an error made even in the details of the letters.
flipshot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They seem to have made a mistake because they say a grant of £1820 will be paid to your university. Tuition fee grants were scrapped in 2006.

So they have down a grant that doesn't exist and then they are not giving you a loan because of the non existant grant. Just keep phoning them to get it sorted and if that fails get your MP onto them.
Taiko
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Happened as a display error on all the 4th year scottish students this year. I had to go through several thousand students to locate them, and get the issue corrected. It was a reported issue at least 8 months ago, so I'm surprised nothing has been done to correct it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads