Stuck with revision for A2 AQA Eng Lit exam Watch

Pthaos
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Basically, I'm a little stuck on how to go about revising for my A2 AQA English Literature Exam. The topic is "Love through the Ages", and the two questions will be comparison questions between two extracts of one genre (eg. two poems) and a comparison between the two genres not used in the first question (eg. comparing drama to a prose piece) Both of these require me to reference in detail wider reading. Detail is more important than range.

I'm sort of stuck with how to go about revising for this. Naturally, analysing my wider reading choices is important, but apart from going through past/example papers, how else can I revise analysis of unseen texts?
malaikah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think there's much else I can suggest tbh. I think I revised for this exam the night before and got a B in the January Exam.. it's all about practise and being able to compare and contrast between the text and your wider reading. Also, make sure you're familiar with the AO's and what you need to do to to get marks for those
Pthaos
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Good point, I'm going to spend some time going over the AOs. It just seems like there's not much I can revise, but with 6 weeks or so until the exam, feels like I have to fill those with a decent amount of revision somehow. I got an A in AS, but it was a low A, and I need an A overall. My coursework was of good quality, but I know I can't afford to mess up this exam, otherwise I won't get into my chosen Uni! (I've applied for English, so I could maybe drop a grade in another subject and hopefully phone them to try and get in, but obviously if I dropped a grade in the subject I'm applying for then that's pretty bad!)
LoveyRae
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Going through the same thing but agree, there's not much revision you can do bar keep looking at wider reading and possibly doing past papers/practice papers? I need an A too, very narrowly on an A overall but you can get away with a high B if your coursework is good
malaikah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can relate... I need an A, and I'm studying the AS and A2 combined, I'm actually terrified I won't get an A, so I'm thinking of getting some tutoring prior to the exams so I know exactly what I need to do!
Rachel_Leah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pthaos)
Basically, I'm a little stuck on how to go about revising for my A2 AQA English Literature Exam. The topic is "Love through the Ages", and the two questions will be comparison questions between two extracts of one genre (eg. two poems) and a comparison between the two genres not used in the first question (eg. comparing drama to a prose piece) Both of these require me to reference in detail wider reading. Detail is more important than range.

I'm sort of stuck with how to go about revising for this. Naturally, analysing my wider reading choices is important, but apart from going through past/example papers, how else can I revise analysis of unseen texts?
I felt the same as you a month or so ago - And it is so horrible! For wider reading, I have copied notes into neat pages of analysis of structure, form, language, and context for each text/extract.

For the unseen, I have a book called 'Literature of Love' by Mary Ward, and does it not only have a lot of context and examples of different types of love, but it has a lot of extracts, and I have just been analysing those and then going through with my teacher and looking online to see how much I've grasped and what I need to look at more etc. I think it's good to have some sort of checklist in your mind of what to look for in an extract, such as imagery, biblical/latinate references, sentence/stanzaic structures etc so you can pinpoint things immediately which are easy to compare. Also, brush up on context for each period/century, so if you get a poem in the exam which doesn't have direct information on the context, you can throw in some golddust about a particular era! xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads