FP3 Integration Watch

ViralRiver
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Trying to integrate \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+4x+5}}. My book, and Wolfram give the answer arsinh(x+2), using a hyperbolic substitution, but I get the answer ln|sec\theta +tan\theta|=ln|x^2+5x+7| using a trigonometric substitution (x + 2 = tan\theta). Am I wrong, or are there just multiple ways of doing this?
olipal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm, I guess for a question like this I would probably play it safe and just complete the square in the denominator. Unless they specifically ask for a substitution, that's normally the best move.
ViralRiver
Rep:
?
They did ask for a substitution, but didn't specify whether it had to be hyperbolic or trigonometric.
olipal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Neither, in this case it would be to let u=x+2.
mir3a
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Complete the square, and let u=x+2. Why use a hyperbolic substitution? All you're doing is making the process much longer.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ViralRiver)
Am I wrong, or are there just multiple ways of doing this?
Differentiate your answer and see what you get.
Farhan.Hanif93
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by olipal)
Hmm, I guess for a question like this I would probably play it safe and just complete the square in the denominator. Unless they specifically ask for a substitution, that's normally the best move.
(Original post by mir3a)
Complete the square, and let u=x+2. Why use a hyperbolic substitution? All you're doing is making the process much longer.
That's assuming he has a formula book to hand or that he remembers the standard integrals. Which may or may not be the case.

Trying to integrate \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+4x+5}}. My book, and Wolfram give the answer arsinh(x+2), using a hyperbolic substitution, but I get the answer ln|sec\theta +tan\theta|=ln|x^2+5x+7| using a trigonometric substitution (x + 2 = tan\theta). Am I wrong, or are there just multiple ways of doing this?
Both methods are fine but I think your logarithmic answer is wrong. To check if they're equivalent, note that \sinh ^{-1}x = \ln (x+\sqrt{x^2+1}). Therefore the answer \sinh ^{-1}(x+2) = \ln ((x+2)+\sqrt{x^2+4x+5}), which is not what you got for the logarithm version.
ViralRiver
Rep:
?
Not sure you're all understanding. The question asked me to use a substitution, hyperbolic or trigonometric. It didn't specify which, but it doesn't allow for a normal algebraic substitution. Farhan, I went through that process myself and realised they weren't the same, but had a feeling it may have been something to do with the constant?
olipal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If that's the case, could it be using a subsitution of say, x+2=\sinh u?

Edit: Oh, and for the record the substitution you have chosen to use works too, but as farhan says you haven't expressed \sec \theta in terms of \tan \theta correctly. Once you have done this the logarithmic equivalent of arsinh (x+2) will equal your simplified expression.
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
How did you get from \ln |\sec \theta + \tan \theta| to \ln |x^2+5x+7|? Note that \sec \theta = \sqrt{1+\tan^2 \theta}. You should get the same answer as in the book.

To be honest, if you see \sqrt{1+x^2} then the substitution x=\sinh u is usually safer than x=\tan \theta, which is better for just 1+x^2 on its own (or with an integer power).
ViralRiver
Rep:
?
I used the substitution x+2=tan\theta. This reduced the integrand to sec\theta, giving ln|sec\theta +tan\theta|. I used sec\theta =1+tan^2\theta =x^2+4x+5 and substituted it into the logarithm. I can't see anything wrong with it, but I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing, or I integrated incorrectly >< .
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
I used the substitution x+2=tan\theta. This reduced the integrand to sec\theta, giving ln|sec\theta +tan\theta|. I used sec\theta =1+tan^2\theta =x^2+4x+5 and substituted it into the logarithm. I can't see anything wrong with it, but I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing, or I integrated incorrectly >< .
\sec \theta \not \equiv 1 + \tan^2 \theta. See my previous post.
ViralRiver
Rep:
?
Ahh, as I said, stupid mistake xD . Not sure what I was thinking, but this is resolved.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (146)
38.32%
No - but I will (21)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (186)
48.82%

Watched Threads