The Student Room Group

How to revise when depressed?

I don't know how to make myself do it, I have no energy and am emotionally exhausted, just want to lay in bed and cry. These exams are all I have and I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any tips?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lock yourself in your room with no PC, iPod, TV on etc. After a while, you should be so bored that even revision will seem mildly appealing :wink:
Watch 'Modern Family' - it always cheers me up

and try and be around people and the real world for a few hours, it should bring you back to reality
Reply 3
Try and detach yourself from the perceived importance of your exams for a while. Take time to reflect on what you want and what's making you feel down. Try and see the positives in your situation.

Once you can start to move towards a more positive frame of mind, it should be possible to focus on revision. Until then, it's unlikely to sink in.
Reply 4
Ritalin is the answer.
Why are you feeling depressed?
Reply 6
Thank you for the helpful replies, I'll give them a go. I might just give myself a bit of an undeserved break for the next hour or so. Thanks guys. :smile:
Reply 7
Contact your relevant teaching authorities. These circumstances constitute a genuine illness and they should know.
Reply 8
Original post by qwerty_mad
Why are you feeling depressed?

Everything's just wrong at the moment, I'm in a hole and I don't know how to get out of it. I don't have anyone to talk to where I am either so I'm just stuck. Maybe revision would actually be a good distraction, heh.
Reply 9
It's almost impossible to concentrate when you're feeling depressed. Like others have said, it'll benefit you to get out of the house and do something fun for a few hours. Obviously it won't magically get rid of the depression, but there is nothing else that'll make you more depressed than being isolated in the house and doing the same thing all day. Find out the best time of day that you work and talk over your problems with someone to help get to the route of the problem.
Reply 10
Original post by jackmyswag
It's almost impossible to concentrate when you're feeling depressed. Like others have said, it'll benefit you to get out of the house and do something fun for a few hours. Obviously it won't magically get rid of the depression, but there is nothing else that'll make you more depressed than being isolated in the house and doing the same thing all day. Find out the best time of day that you work and talk over your problems with someone to help get to the route of the problem.

I would attempt to leave but I'm just so exhausted. I haven't worked for the last 5 days either so I just feel guilty on top of everything else. I haven't told anyone about the depression and I don't think I'd have anyone to talk about it to anyway so I'm just going to try and drag myself out of it at home and force myself later, I don't have a choice. Thank you for the reply :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Everything's just wrong at the moment, I'm in a hole and I don't know how to get out of it. I don't have anyone to talk to where I am either so I'm just stuck. Maybe revision would actually be a good distraction, heh.

I can very much relate to this.
When I feel down I usually can't muster enough energy to leave my bed. Crying sometimes helps as an emotional purge, but sometimes crying can be quite exhausting in itself, which eventually leads me to fall asleep way before my usual bedtime and in the morning I realise I've yet again completed no work. I suggest you go and see your GP if you haven't yet, otherwise if you do have a diagnosed condition then I'd talk to the school about it and maybe ask them to inform the university you've firmed (that is, assuming you're in Year 13). Counselling is also someting you should seriously consider, and if you go to your GP you may get a referral form there. I wish I could offer better advice but as aforementioned, it's an issue I've been struggling with myself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Studying's pretty tough when you're depressed, but it is possible. I found that it was best to get into a mentality of that I absolutely had to do it, and not even give myself the option of not doing it. Also take frequent breaks to give your concentration a rest (I always drink gallons of tea when revising) and if it's sunny you might find it's easier to revise in the garden, or you could go to the library for a more studious atmosphere.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by toasteh
I can very much relate to this.
When I feel down I usually can't muster enough energy to leave my bed. Crying sometimes helps as an emotional purge, but sometimes crying can be quite exhausting in itself, which eventually leads me to fall asleep way before my usual bedtime and in the morning I realise I've yet again completed no work. I suggest you go and see your GP if you haven't yet, otherwise if you do have a diagnosed condition then I'd talk to the school about it and maybe ask them to inform the university you've firmed (that is, assuming you're in Year 13). I wish I could offer better advice but as aforementioned, it's an issue I've been struggling with myself.

That's exactly how I feel at the moment, I've just had a bit of a self indulgent cry and I'm exhausted. I only got up at 1pm as well. I have to go for a second appointment with my GP but they've no appointments for me in the next few weeks so I won't be able to tell my school about it because I technically have no proof. I'm Year 12 but people have such massive expectations of me it adds to all the rubbish, and when I don't do what they expect I have to handle their disappointment and I know I'll just break. Bit of a vicious circle! Thank you for the reply :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by superwolf
Studying's pretty tough when you're depressed, but it is possible. I found that it was best to get into a mentality of that I absolutely had to do it, and not even give myself the option of not doing it. Also take frequent breaks to give your concentration a rest (I always drink gallons of tea when revising) and if it's sunny you might find it's easier to revise in the garden, or you could go to the library for a more studious atmosphere.

Good luck. :smile:

I'll take that advice and try and get into the frame of mind that I just have to. It is literally the only thing I have going for me at the moment so I'm going to try my best not to make a hash of it. I'm a bit of a caffeine addict at the moment too actually. :tongue: Thank you. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Formica
Contact your relevant teaching authorities. These circumstances constitute a genuine illness and they should know.

How do you do this, out of interest? I'm 99% sure that I have depression (I have every symptom going and have done for five years) but I don't have a formal diagnosis as my GP is ****, and I'd love to know how to tell my exam boards/school/etc.
Split revision with doing things that you enjoy, such as reading or listening to music or watching a DVD.
Reply 17
Original post by kerily
How do you do this, out of interest? I'm 99% sure that I have depression (I have every symptom going and have done for five years) but I don't have a formal diagnosis as my GP is ****, and I'd love to know how to tell my exam boards/school/etc.

This is the same with me. I've not been diagnosed because getting my second appointment is impossible seeing as they're fully booked for ages. I've been like this for ages but I have no formal proof. It's an awful position.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
I would attempt to leave but I'm just so exhausted. I haven't worked for the last 5 days either so I just feel guilty on top of everything else. I haven't told anyone about the depression and I don't think I'd have anyone to talk about it to anyway so I'm just going to try and drag myself out of it at home and force myself later, I don't have a choice. Thank you for the reply :smile:

The worst thing you can do it keep it all to yourself! Tell at least one person, sometimes it even helps just to cry to someone, even if they offer you no advice. At least you won't feel like you're on your own. Trust me, I've been very depressed before and I'm not too good at the moment either and the worst emotion in the world for me is feeling lonely. Don't ever allow yourself to feel lonely.
Reply 19
Original post by jackmyswag
The worst thing you can do it keep it all to yourself! Tell at least one person, sometimes it even helps just to cry to someone, even if they offer you no advice. At least you won't feel like you're on your own. Trust me, I've been very depressed before and I'm not too good at the moment either and the worst emotion in the world for me is feeling lonely. Don't ever allow yourself to feel lonely.

The loneliness exacerbates it all, it's the worst thing for me too, I've felt constantly lonely for about a year now and you never get used to it. There is literally no one I can think of telling though which is the issue, and I don't want to burden anyone either. Posting on here helps a bit though. Best of luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending